Gussets

xflstl

After running a 31/2" RC lift and 35" tires for two and a half years I decided to do the same work you are looking at doing. I am in the process of upgrading to a long arm with coilovers( all EVO after doing some research!). I decided to beef up my 44 with EVO 44 mag sleeve and their gussets since mine was still straight. Decided to stick with my rubi locker and through in some RCV's, new ball joints, dynatrac diff cover and Reed knuckles. While I'm there I had a bearing going out so I am replacing both those as well and new brakes. I'll wheel this set up till it breaks and then go PR60. I did try to put the solid TF gussets under the EVO gussets but didn't feel like cutting them down. Good luck! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374935127.528756.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374935171.678278.jpg

jmm176

Sleeves will not prevent your axle from bending where the tubes go into the diff housing. Just ask Moochie.

Are axle tube gussets a better alternative? I hope I don't get in trouble for using the "T" word, but Ive noticed all the Toyota guys use that method.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lol. No hate for the "t-word" here (at least not from me). Some people try external axle gussets. While I don't have personal knowledge of their effectiveness, I believe the general consensus is that the installation process itself is likely to bend the housing.

jmm176

Ive heard about the warping, but as a AWS certified welder I think they way over-weld, 1 linear inch of 1/4" fillet has about 15000-17000 tensile strength, ive seen how to's with people putting way more weld than needed, and don't understand

JKRandall

After running a 31/2" RC lift and 35" tires for two and a half years I decided to do the same work you are looking at doing. I am in the process of upgrading to a long arm with coilovers( all EVO after doing some research!). I decided to beef up my 44 with EVO 44 mag sleeve and their gussets since mine was still straight. Decided to stick with my rubi locker and through in some RCV's, new ball joints, dynatrac diff cover and Reed knuckles. While I'm there I had a bearing going out so I am replacing both those as well and new brakes. I'll wheel this set up till it breaks and then go PR60. I did try to put the solid TF gussets under the EVO gussets but didn't feel like cutting them down. Good luck! View attachment 41521 View attachment 41522

Thanks for your write up and good luck to you also.

Sent by my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom