Harbor Freight winches

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately, the VR series are made in China and because of it, I've tended to not recommend them. That being said, as of last year, WARN has moved all their manufacturing into a specific plant that they control and upped their warranty considerably.

I couldnt remember if it was the VR or the M series. :idontknow: since the OP mentioned he saw an M that had failed; I assumed the answer was the M series. Thanks for the correction :thumb:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Has anyone ever used or know about the winches at harbor freight? I can’t afford a good one for now but I do need something. Please let me know.

-JCW-

I bought a Warn VR8000 from RockHard 4x4 for $400 ten months ago. Looks like they only have the new style VR8 for $500 at this time and depending on where you live, it will be less tax and maybe free shipping. You might still find a left over VR8000 floating around still for even less with a little research? I believe that the older VR series had the parts made in China, but assembled and tested in Oregon and that the newer once are now completely made in China? I like to think that is better than the other overseas brands due to being made to Warn specifications and all, but have not had to use it yet.

Josh27

Most people can get away with a $300 winch because they will NEVER use it - EVER. And, that's not a bad thing. For the most part, so long as you make sure to go wheeling with friends, pick good lines and use a spotter, a winch can completely unnecessary on most trails.

The best way to save money is to just not buy something you don't really need.

I honestly agree with this. Ive been wheeling without a winch all 6 years I've owned my jeep. Not necessarily because I don't think i could use one but rather the fact I don't have the money to by a reliable one. Have I been in situations that it would have been extremely helpful? Yes. Needed? No. If you are smart and know your limitations it is totally avoidable to NEED a winch (yes i realize shit happens and it can save your ass in an emergency). The only times where I needed a winch or another vehicle for assistance is when I know I have those resources available, i.e. wheeling with another person with or without a winch. If I know i can get out of a mess, Im willing to try it.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend a harbor freight winch. Save up and you will get what you pay for including a piece of mind.

FallonJeeper

I bought a Harbor Freight, Bad Lands winch for my car hauler. Fortunately I had a warranty. It failed within the first year. Used it one time. Got a free replacement but you don't get more warrantee. It lasted less than as year. Used It a couple times. Both were covered and maintained. They aren't for me. I won't be buying any more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom