Hardtop Conversion

Wardell

I noticed that the wiring kits from mopar are different for the 2010 vs. the 2015. It seems to be the different HVAC controls. If I get the hard top will it fit and function properly on my 2015? I would hate to have fit issues with the freedom panels or issues with the wiring.:mad:

The wiring is for the rear window defroster and wiper, and there is also a hose connection for the window washer fluid. It won't effect the heating or air conditioning system at all even if you don't connect it, you just won't be able to use these for your rear window.

If your Jeep was originally sold with just the soft top, it might not even have the wiring or hose installed. If it does have it, it's probably tucked in at the driver's rear corner, either just under the lip of the tub or just under the upper corner of the carpet. If it's not there, I think it would be easy enough to order the wiring that goes with the top you're buying and install it yourself. Otherwise, I'd bet you can adapt them to work together. I don't know of anyone that has done this though.

Jmjnewbold

Hah! Mine will fool even the most astute observer :) dealership trashed my original and they only make the new ones so that's what I have on my 08. I actually like the look of the original better, but the view is much improved with the new ones.

Edit: why are you (OP) moving from Navarre to Colorado??

I'll give you a guess "Integrity first, Service before self, excellence in all we do."

jeeeep

Hooked
If you're looking for a hardtop, I'd look for the newer style. The glass on the sides and rear is wider and I was surprised how much the extra 2"-3" wider glass makes in eliminating the corner blind spots of the hardtop.

Jeepers46

When I first started looking for a JK I was dead set on a hard top. When I finally found one in my price range it had the soft top but it was a pretty good deal on the Jeep so I decided to concede my desire for the hard top and buy the Jeep. We had a week and half of below 0 to -5 temps this past winter with a few decent snows and even an ice storm that coated everything with 1/8 inch of ice and the soft top held up great. Once the heater on the Jeep got warmed up you couldnt tell it was colder than a witches titty in a brass bra outside. Plus the ease and quickness of being able to put the top all the way down this spring and summer has been awesome....cant just take a hard top off anywhere. Needless to say for me personally I dont ever see myself getting the hard top.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I love both tops. As long as you have a place to store the hard top, I would get one if you want one.

$1400 seems really high for an older one. I have seen plenty around $1000 for a new take off. Definately look down south before you move. You may want to watch Albuquerque next summer, if you don't find a good deal before you move or Tucson/Phoenix even. Long drive, but may be worth it.

Wait until you get one to figure out which harness to get. I have had both, but couldnt tell you if the plugs are different. The harness is not a must have item. Rarely use the wiper, but the defrost is nice. Glass windows can be scraped in the winter too.

Just checked: '14 model four door top in Atlanta - asking $1500. And one with a cart for $2500. That guy is looney, but might get it.

Make sure and look for cracks in the corners, especially by the door and back window.

Good luck in the search.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Checked Denver
All 4 doors.
09 - $800
11 - $900
15 - $1500

Didn't even get very far on the list.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Soft top be cheaper to replace than hard top also if either were ruined by hail. Depending which soft top you bought I guess.

Idk about the jeep hardtop in the hail but I had a K5 and a Chevy Colorado several years ago. We had a hail storm come through and both were setting out. The Colorado had $4500 damage done to it. The K5 didn't have a single dent and the hard top still looked fine.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
That right there tells you how thick the hoods were between the two.

Jeep JK hood = thin steel. Now a CJ hood another story.

I would think soft top and hard top would both fair well until you get into big hail that would destroy everything. Fabric/plasticky hardtop/steel.

Like we get in Oklahoma.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Like we get in Oklahoma.

That ain't no shit. Before I could get the Colorado fixed we got into another hail storm while driving that probably would've done just as much damage as the first one. As the storm moved east and went over my parents place the hail got bigger. It was softball size. We got to my parents just after it went through. Trashed the roof on my parents house and the shop. Luckily all the vehicles were inside so they didn't get damaged.

Top Bottom