Hello! It's about time that I've joined, so here I am! Although I'm from MN, I spend a great deal of time exploring the Western US...

Jaeger

My 1st question...I have a 2014 JKUR with a 3" lift, 37s on 17s, and stock axles...I'm wondering if replacing axles is a luxury more than a need since I'm also considering just updating the gearing and axle shafts...I'm open to opinions from people who get out often...replace the axles (which are fine otherwise) or will the replacement of the above-mentioned items be just fine for Overlanding/off-roading-more challenging and a bit of crawling? Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 1633093243531.jpg
    1633093243531.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 4

JimLee

Hooked
Welcome! I won't go into the great axle debate, lots of people seem to wheel just fine on the stock 44's with 37's and some upgrades (or no upgrades, depending on how hard you wheel). Me, I bought a Sport just to save some money up front because I knew I was going to end up on one tons. Some people think I'm stupid, some people don't, I expect you will see varied opinions and have to decide what is right for you from there.

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL.
Strictly personal opinion, I tend not to mod until necessary. Meaning breakage, maintenance or poor performance. However, if you are already in the axle for a re-gear, not a bad idea to throw a couple mods to strengthen your current setup. Gussets, sleeves, shafts.

Scott

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to WAYALIFE!

Regarding axles, I am always of the mindset that you should replace what you need, when you need. For how you appear to use your Jeep, I'll bet you'll be fine with what you've got for a long time to come. Especially your rear axle. Up front, I personally wouldn't even throw any money at it and IF the need arises, use that money to upgrade to something like a ProRock 44

Jaeger

Welcome to WAYALIFE!

Regarding axles, I am always of the mindset that you should replace what you need, when you need. For how you appear to use your Jeep, I'll bet you'll be fine with what you've got for a long time to come. Especially your rear axle. Up front, I personally wouldn't even throw any money at it and IF the need arises, use that money to upgrade to something like a ProRock 44
Thank you and I agree...I was looking at the quote for the 44/60 Dynatrac replacement and although it'd be great...do I really need that right now???

Thank you and I agree...I was looking at the quote for the 44/60 Dynatrac replacement and although it'd be great...do I really need that right now???
Welcome!

I would say if you are considering spending the money for a 44/60, I’d save a little more for a full set of 60’s to get that full float rear. Another option for you is you can buy a Dynatrac front 44 housing that allows you to re-use all of your stock Rubicon internals. Just another option.

But as mentioned, the stock axles really work fine for most and wheel them knowing what you have. Worse case you can throw in some chromoly shafts and gears and call it a day and have fun.

Top Bottom