Help! Bad Steering Issue

DirtyJeeP

Check all you're TRE's in all you're steering components. I had a couple that were sloppy. Once I replaced them my shaking went away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rescue7

So, I just got back friom the dealer. They did an alignment, and said my toe was out. They re-torqued my track bar bolts, checked TRE's, and ball joints again.
They said, if this didn't work, I needed to look at a bigger steering damper, and maybe switch out to different tires. I just bought this Jeep a month ago. The tires on it have 1000k miles. They are the GY SR-A tires that come on every factory Jeep. However, they are saying they are a "P" rating, and that can be part of the problem.

Well, the problem is still there... I do not know what to do at this point, and I don't think the techs do either.

JEEPnGEO

This happened to me (drivers side). I dropped the knuckle and found my ball joint about to fall out like a rotting tooth. I replaced both on that side and all the wobbling went away. That was a month ago. I have a 09 Rubi with 33K miles on it. This last weekend I replaced the passenger side and found the botton was good but the top was like a clapper in a bell. The bottom was not lose but was not snug. A piece of paper could of moved it. No more wobbles for me.
The only front end mods I have are a Teraflex adj. trackbar and 4" TF springs. JKS Swaybar end links. Everything else is stock. I have 35s on it and my local Firestone does an AWESOME job at balancing.

FYI

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

So, I just got back friom the dealer. They did an alignment, and said my toe was out. They re-torqued my track bar bolts, checked TRE's, and ball joints again.
They said, if this didn't work, I needed to look at a bigger steering damper, and maybe switch out to different tires. I just bought this Jeep a month ago. The tires on it have 1000k miles. They are the GY SR-A tires that come on every factory Jeep. However, they are saying they are a "P" rating, and that can be part of the problem.

Well, the problem is still there... I do not know what to do at this point, and I don't think the techs do either.

They allow enough play in the ball joints to cause issues before they will warranty them. I am debating whether I want to keep fighting corporate or just put some good ball joints in it myself. The steering box I don't want to pay for though.

rescue7

Yeah, I don't know what to do at this point. I used to love Jeep, and accepted all the little quirks. But, both my 2012, and 2009 have been nothing but problems. I keep trying to be understanding, but this is frustrating now.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I don't know what to do at this point. I used to love Jeep, and accepted all the little quirks. But, both my 2012, and 2009 have been nothing but problems. I keep trying to be understanding, but this is frustrating now.

Why don't you do the things stated above and not rely on the dealer to "fix" the problem? I'd start with loosening the track bar with the vehicle on the ground, shake it out and then torque it down. If that doesn't fix it go through the check list linked above. Can't remember if it's in there or not but I had a cracked weld on my trackbar axle mount. Causes same issue. New SS wouldn't have helped. :crazy eyes:

StrizzyChris

They said, if this didn't work, I needed to look at a bigger steering damper.

Dont listen to this!

Never cover up a steering issue with a steering stabilizer. They are designed to help prevent a vehicle from darting left or right when it hits a bump or pot hole at high speeds and cause a wreck. Otherwise on a smooth surface no car actually needs a steering stabilizer to fuction properly.

and maybe switch out to different tires. I just bought this Jeep a month ago. The tires on it have 1000k miles.

Dont listen to this!

It IS however possible that they need to be rebalanced.

They are the GY SR-A tires that come on every factory Jeep. However, they are saying they are a "P" rating, and that can be part of the problem.

Dont listen to this! They are yet again full of shit!

RamP

They allow enough play in the ball joints to cause issues before they will warranty them. I am debating whether I want to keep fighting corporate or just put some good ball joints in it myself. The steering box I don't want to pay for though.
This^^^^^^^^^

Jack up the front to the point that you can stick a broomstick or pipe under the tire. Then lift up. If you feel the tire moving or clicking up and down its time to replace the ball joints.

Also Chris is right on all of those posted above. It's amazing what a dealership will sometimes say.

rescue7

Okay, guys I will look into things myself once it warms up here and stops snowing. I appreciate all the help and replies.

jkbud

Okay, guys I will look into things myself once it warms up here and stops snowing. I appreciate all the help and replies.

It's sad but I've found that dealership techs don't have a clue when it comes to the wrangler. I only visit the dealership if I must buy a Mopar part... other than that you need to find a reliable mechanic who owns a jeep himself. Your local Jeep clubs can usually point you in the right direction but it may take a little time to find someone who you trust. If its warranty work then beat their door down till they fix it. Best of luck you you.:beer:

rescue7

It's sad but I've found that dealership techs don't have a clue when it comes to the wrangler. I only visit the dealership if I must buy a Mopar part... other than that you need to find a reliable mechanic who owns a jeep himself. Your local Jeep clubs can usually point you in the right direction but it may take a little time to find someone who you trust. If its warranty work then beat their door down till they fix it. Best of luck you you.:beer:

Hey Jkbud,

Yeah, I actually know the master mechanic at the dealer. He swears everything is okay. I am going to check stuff myself when I have a break from work, and when it warms up.

I appreciate the reply!

Cheers

Top Bottom