Help buying a new jeep

BlackKnight

Hey Guys,
I'm buying a new JKUR this summer, but I'm having an issue. I want to buy a new jeep, I'm probably waiting for the 2014 model to be announced, but here is my question. I see some of the new buyers mentioning "ordering" their Jeep, and "tracking" their jeep being built. When I go to the Jeep site and do theBuild to order, they at the end only offer a link to my local dealers that have "My Jeep" already in stock. and when I go to the dealers mentioned, it's not the same as I've built, but something the dealer already ordered and 100% of the time they have add ons that I don't want/need, wrong color (but 100% match?). stuff like $1100 for leather trimmed seats, and Dual top for $2300. Not to mention I want an Auto so my wife if she needs to can drive it (she never learned stick) and according to the dealer, the Black/black (paint/interior), dual top Manual is a 95% match to my Commando/camel hard top(only) Auto???

Am I doing something wrong? Am I going to the wrong place to "order" a jeep?

Bob

Last edited:

Bacon

when you "build and price" online, then go to "similar Jeeps near you" you're only searching the Jeeps that are already built and sitting on dealership lots. If you want a built-for-you Jeep, you have to go to a dealership and order exactly what you want. "Build and price" online is not you actually ordering a Jeep, you're just building your fantasy Jeep, much like building a fantasy baseball team in an online pool.

go to the dealership, order your Jeep directly, then you should be able to "track" it- I'm guessing Jeep will give you a tracking number or something, much like a shipping/tracking number from FedEx. I've never done this personally, but that's what people are talking about when they say that.

StrizzyChris

I ordered mine at the dealership I liked in person so I could negotiate price before the order was placed. Not sure how the site works.

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

StrizzyChris

go to the dealership, order your Jeep directly, then you should be able to "track" it- I'm guessing Jeep will give you a tracking number or something, much like a shipping/tracking number from FedEx. I've never done this personally, but that's what people are talking about when they say that.

When u order, the dealership will place ur email address into the system. I then got an email directly from Jeep with my VOTS info(tracking). Its not a good system and isn't up to date. My jeep was two stages behind online and was actually at the dealership.

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

BlackKnight

Ok, thanks guys, that explains alot. I was thinking that it was because it was still only letting me "build" a 2013 and that they were not manufacturing them any more in preferance of the 2014 lineups already, even though those are not available on the site yet..

So then Maybe I should build it on their web building application, then printout the build I want with the accessories/colors I want, so when I go to the dealership I will have everything setup and on paper to make things go faster...

Bob

Bacon

Ok, thanks guys, that explains alot. I was thinking that it was because it was still only letting me "build" a 2013 and that they were not manufacturing them any more in preferance of the 2014 lineups already, even though those are not available on the site yet..

So then Maybe I should build it on their web building application, then printout the build I want with the accessories/colors I want, so when I go to the dealership I will have everything setup and on paper to make things go faster...

Bob

not a bad idea right there.... if nothing else it'll help you stick to your plan when they start trying to add on the chrome appearance package or stain-guard for the tires!

BlackKnight

not a bad idea right there.... if nothing else it'll help you stick to your plan when they start trying to add on the chrome appearance package or stain-guard for the tires!

LOL, If i was at the Jeep dealer and he told me I should add crome to it I think I'd slap him up side his head to correct his mental attitude, It's a Jeep not a hot rod...

PS> what the hell is stain guard? Armorall spray treatment that they will charge me $300 for? :)

HoosierWolf

LOL, If i was at the Jeep dealer and he told me I should add crome to it I think I'd slap him up side his head to correct his mental attitude, It's a Jeep not a hot rod...

PS> what the hell is stain guard? Armorall spray treatment that they will charge me $300 for? :)

You might already know this but just in case... I signed up on the Jeep website to be sent info from the company. The info they sent me was pretty lame but they did also send me an incentive coupon for 500.00

I waited until they were ready to print the paperwork after negotiations and I got an extra 500.00 off. It's not a lot but everything counts and it paid for the Bluetooth radio upgrade I didn't want but now really like.

Cheers!

BlackKnight

You might already know this but just in case... I signed up on the Jeep website to be sent info from the company. The info they sent me was pretty lame but they did also send me an incentive coupon for 500.00

I waited until they were ready to print the paperwork after negotiations and I got an extra 500.00 off. It's not a lot but everything counts and it paid for the Bluetooth radio upgrade I didn't want but now really like.

Cheers!

Thanks, and yes, I'm already a Jeep owner, registered on the site, and have a $500 "Repeat Buyer" brand incentive to buy another. Of course My current Jeep (Grand Cherokee Limited) will never see a trail LOL..

ichthus

You will likely find that the dealer has a slightly different ordering system as well. Printing out what you want from the "Build and Price" will help, but there's a chance the dealer will have some new/different color options and a 2014 just MIGHT have options that weren't available in the 2013.

Either way, you can also ask your dealer to check nearby dealers for a Jeep with the EXACT colors/ options you are wanting and they can do a much quicker and more precise search to find one. If found, dealers will swap vehicles to get you the Jeep you are asking for and that might take a few days instead of the "6-8 weeks" for a factory order

Top Bottom