Help getting heavy spare tire onto tire carrier

rmilobrown

I use my floor jack. Roll your spare onto the jack, raise it up to the carrier and slide it on! I stacked a couple of wood blocks to get enough height.

MTG

Caught the Bug
When I first saw this thread, for a second I thought maybe Prime8 was back. :crazy eyes:

I never had trouble with my 37s, but admittedly I haven’t even tried my 40s yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

I’m an old tire guy so I just use the truck tire roll up the leg and lift method. I’ve had a lot of practice though. I am thinking it wouldn’t be too hard to rig up something for a hi-lift jack if though. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I'm getting a portable cordless Warn winch that I saw awhile back at the vendor show to yank my 39 onto the back of my JK6...fortunately I don't have to worry about aligning any studs...

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Bringing this back with a cautionary tail. I used to just Man Up and heave these suckers into place. Being a heavy equipment mechanic I often overstrained myself because it was just a quick job. even with a crane attached to my work truck I would rather get a job done faster and manually move large items.
Well as many of you know I am out of work because of an accident in my garage. I was lifting a small tire (265/75r16) for my trailer and my right bicep decided it had been abused enough. it tore from the elbow and I am now on a long recovery. Estimated 4 months before I can return to my line of work. The moral of this story is if you don't have to then don't be a tough guy and lift these larger tires solo. Use any mechanical advantage or friends you can to help with the job. You never know when your body will decide enough is enough.

Jeeper62

Bringing this back with a cautionary tail. I used to just Man Up and heave these suckers into place. Being a heavy equipment mechanic I often overstrained myself because it was just a quick job. even with a crane attached to my work truck I would rather get a job done faster and manually move large items.
Well as many of you know I am out of work because of an accident in my garage. I was lifting a small tire (265/75r16) for my trailer and my right bicep decided it had been abused enough. it tore from the elbow and I am now on a long recovery. Estimated 4 months before I can return to my line of work. The moral of this story is if you don't have to then don't be a tough guy and lift these larger tires solo. Use any mechanical advantage or friends you can to help with the job. You never know when your body will decide enough is enough.

Aww man that is rough. Yeah the body only takes so much... I know too. Rest up and heal up brother! Torn bi's add character lol but take time... Best......:thumb:

MDK210

Exactly, I’m relatively young and workout regularly since part of my job is maintaining some type of fitness but when it’s time to play with the spare I call the wife, who lifts as well, or wait for a buddy. Herniated disc in my spine and neck over the years, broken bones, blown rotator cuffs and their after affects suck. I don’t wheel alone so I should never have to change a tire alone. I see these old dudes or skinny teenagers in the tire shops lifting my light weight 35’s solo and I feel bad especially when the manager is this big ass dude who just watches them...wtf. Can’t imagine 37 w/beadlocks or 40’s.

wjtstudios

Hooked

That’s just brutal. I hope you heal up quick! You have the right idea about changing your approach. A good friend of mine had the same thing happen. Then six months later tore the other. His doctor told him that it could be s genetic weakening of those ligaments. But, He’s also a big old ex. marine and did not slow down after the first one(go figure) but he’s now come to his senses. Good luck with recovery!

Top Bottom