Help us kill our winter blues

The last several years I have struggled with some winter blues around February. This coming winter we want to get away for a long weekend to some warmer weather around that time.

I would like to keep it in the contiguous states for now. Leaving the country will keep me from a longer vacation later in the year. I'm having trouble with finding destinations, any ideas?

Desires:
-Day high temps of at least 60 (in early to mid FEB)
-Easy-ish access to/from. (I'm cool with flying, but don't want to be behind a windshield for long.)
-A good 3-4 day stop. (I don't want to leave wishing I had more time to explore but even worse, be bored in a day)
-Outdoor things to do.

Any and all help is appreciated.

USMC Wrangler

We were looking at Big Bend National Park, but traveling to/from looks like it would eat most of our time. :grayno:

That is correct. Everything, other than hiking and camping, is a long drive from this park. The closest airport is Midland/Odessa and it's about 4 hours driving each way.

That is correct. Everything, other than hiking and camping, is a long drive from this park. The closest airport is Midland/Odessa and it's about 4 hours driving each way.

Thanks for the reply...

I'm actually still leaning this way. The weather seems right and the price certainly is. :yup:

USMC Wrangler

It can be cold with ice storms that time of year in the mountains, but much nicer in the lower elevations. Some of the Feb days don't break 60 even in those lower elevations, sometimes they do. I grew up in N. Indiana and moved to TX two years ago from MI. I know what you mean about the winter blues very well. I can say, even if it is on the cool side here in Feb, the sun is usually shining. I'd recommend later in Feb. The Chisos Mountains and even some of the Dead Horse Mountains, both within the park, had snow on them late Dec, early Jan this year.

Let me know if you have questions on the area. I don't work for the park service, and am not an all knowing expert of the area, but I'd be glad to help where I can. :yup:

Let me know if you have questions on the area. I don't work for the park service, and am not an all knowing expert of the area, but I'd be glad to help where I can. :yup:

Awesome, Thank you!

The early to mid-Feb. is pretty strategic for us. It's when we hit our low. The holiday's keep us distracted when it first gets cold and gray, but 4-6 weeks after the new year and we are seriously jonesing for something other than 20-30 degree highs and gloomy skies. The hope is spring will be withing 4-6 weeks after our return.

Top Bottom