Help with new fenders. What’s everyone’s thoughts.

Emptybrass

Kinda the same topic. What about the gen right carbon fiber? Was not interested in replacements until I saw these.

When in doubt, throttle out.

jesse3638

Hooked
Haha it was honestly too easy. I kept thinking I fucked something up because it didn’t fight me. Aside from eating a bunch of molten plastic from the Dremel lol. [emoji851]

I've done two sets. First was with a sawzall second was with a jig saw. I found the jigsaw was the easiest. I hate cutting plastic with a cut off wheel I always burn myself...haha

WJCO

Meme King
Dremel makes a gold-colored wheel with large holes in it that keeps the plastic cooler. It really works well without leaving huge clumps of plastic lava.

shopping.jpg

Last edited:
I got 3” lift and 3.5” back spacing. Yes I like the way yours turned out. Did you use a template or hand draw it?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sort of yes and no. I Just eyeballed it and used blue painters tape to mock up an outline and then once I was happy with the shape I took measurements to I could copy it on the other side. I removed the fender liners and the flare support but left the flares them selves on. After I trimmed the flares I was able to see where I would have to trim the supports. Once it was all trimmed the way I wanted it I bolted the supports back up and used some door edge moulding to finish of the edges. There is a great write up Eddie did on Project-JK a few years back. I just referenced that.

mauijim

Sort of yes and no. I Just eyeballed it and used blue painters tape to mock up an outline and then once I was happy with the shape I took measurements to I could copy it on the other side. I removed the fender liners and the flare support but left the flares them selves on. After I trimmed the flares I was able to see where I would have to trim the supports. Once it was all trimmed the way I wanted it I bolted the supports back up and used some door edge moulding to finish of the edges. There is a great write up Eddie did on Project-JK a few years back. I just referenced that.

Great [emoji1360] I’m gonna look at the write up this weekend. Thanks for your help

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I trimmed and while the cuts were good and everything looked great, I ultimately decided to yank the trimmed fenders and go with Fishbone steel fenders. I definitely prefer the look over the trimmed OEM flares but I will have to be careful not to hit them on a tree/rock.

mcdesigner

Another vote for cutting the stock fenders. I have zero flutter. I purposely left part of the side of the fender to add more rigidity. If you take your time cutting followed by filing and finally sanding the edges the fenders will look factory. Plus they are free saving you $$$ for other mods!

Attachments

• IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 290

Clark Griswold

I have trimmed mine 3 times now, its kind of cool as you get a slightly different look each time if you start out wide obviously. They flutter a bit but you cant see or hear it at least I cant, also I used my large and small tin snips for a nice clean edge that was very easy to finish off. Maybe try trimming first and if it doesnt turn out right for you then you have plan B.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
I have trimmed mine 3 times now, its kind of cool as you get a slightly different look each time if you start out wide obviously. They flutter a bit but you cant see or hear it at least I cant, also I used my large and small tin snips for a nice clean edge that was very easy to finish off. Maybe try trimming first and if it doesnt turn out right for you then you have plan B.

Sent from my VS987 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine don’t flutter at all. I put a long strip of heavy duty double sided tape for outdoor use and it holds real well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scot...ided-Extreme-Mounting-Tape-414DC-SF/203405976

Last edited:

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Another vote for cutting the stock fenders. I have zero flutter. I purposely left part of the side of the fender to add more rigidity. If you take your time cutting followed by filing and finally sanding the edges the fenders will look factory. Plus they are free saving you $$$ for other mods!
I really like the way leaving a small lip gave it a different and more finished look. Nice job!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I have been seeing flares trimmed like this and really starting to like that look.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom