High pinion problems?

any4xx

And for good measure I just ordered a set of iron diff covers and some Artec C-gussets for them to weld on while I’m there.

It's more about strength. On a front axle, high pinion is optimum, which your JK already has. On the rear, low pinion is optimum, which your JK already has. A more proper term is reverse-cut for the front and standard-cut for the rear. They are two different gear sets, they are cut differently.

What is your ultimate goal for tire size and how do you currently use your jeep?
Thank you for the reverse cut standard cut education.

Sorry for the barrage of rookie questions lately, but a lot of this driveline tech is still new to me.

I still haven’t made my mind up regarding what I’m going to do about axles on my JKR. I’m still contemplating whether to re-gear what I have or swap in new complete axles.

So my newest concern is about high-pinion setups. I’m guessing that they use the same ring and pinion sets that their low-pinion counterparts do instead of special sets manufactured specifically for high-pinion applications. If that is true, they’re driving the “coast” side of the ring instead of the as-designed “drive” side. Does this cause any longevity issues? Or ARE special R&P sets made for these high-pinion axles?

Once again, thanks for putting up with me.

Tom.

Our “high pinion” axle assemblies use a “reverse cut” gearset. These gearsets are designed specifically to run in a high pinion housing. In a front configuration while moving forward, these gears will be running on the drive side of the gear. We will also run reverse cut gears in a rear axle while running on the coast side of the gear with no issues, but we look closely at the application and its intended use first before utilizing that option. This can be greatly beneficial in short wheelbase vehicles to minimize driveline angles.

Top Bottom