High pitched engine noise on '22 Gladiator

Waffleman

Hey all....curious if anyone knows what the hell this noise is on my gladiator. It's a 2022 with only 4900 miles on it. Started noticing the noise a couple weeks ago when it was parked and idling, and by the time I got home, everything sounded normal. It's progressively gotten worse, and now, it howls like this all the time....idling or driving, doesn't matter. It doesn't change loudness or pitch with RPM, it's consistent. It's loud enough that driving through a parking lot, people will turn around and stare.

My gut feeling is it's a bearing on a pulley, or possibly even the alternator since it sounds like its coming from that area under the hood. I have 2 trips coming up starting next week...one to Ouray, and 2 weeks after that, a trip to Moab. Soonest I can get it in at a dealer is November 7th which sucks! I uploaded 2 videos to Youtube to show what I'm talking about. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Waffleman

Check the tensioner pulley spray a little WD if it goes away that’s it. I wouldn’t plan no long road trip with that noise
Good idea, I'll try that and see if there is any change. And for sure.....no way in hell I'm hitting the road with it squealing like that.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Take it to the dealer.

Edit: just read your whole post. There has to be other dealers close by who can get it in quicker than that.

Waffleman

Take it to the dealer.

Edit: just read your whole post. There has to be other dealers close by who can get it in quicker than that.
Sadly no, the only dealers with decent service departments are all booked out. The other dealers around here love to play the "I don't hear anything" or "that sound is normal" and won't fix crap.

Bierpower

Hooked
Sounds like a pulley at first but if it really has zero change when driving you may look over the vacuum lines. In the second video it seemed to be coming from closer to the air box than the alternator.

Waffleman

Turn on the AC and see if noise changes pitch when the compressor engages. That will at least let you know if it's something turned by the serpentine belt. If not, likely something else.
That was the first thing I thought to try, and it doesn't change the sound at all on or off. Funny backstory though....the AC didn't work off the lot brand new. Come to find out good ol Jeep never charged the system from the factory 😡

Waffleman

Sounds like a pulley at first but if it really has zero change when driving you may look over the vacuum lines. In the second video it seemed to be coming from closer to the air box than the alternator.
I'll give them a once over and see if I find anything loose. It's definitely more towards the passenger side / alternator area.

I thought about pulling the alternator out of my JL and swap it just to rule that out.

Lunentucker

The ticking is the typical clatter these motors make, my JL sounds identical. The video just amplifies it like crazy.
Perhaps so. My '21 Mojave doesn't tick, but I haven't videoed it with the hood opened either.
That thing sounds like a diesel, which could indicated the cam roller issue that's a common failure, especially in the 2020's.

Waffleman

Perhaps so. My '21 Mojave doesn't tick, but I haven't videoed it with the hood opened either.
That thing sounds like a diesel, which could indicated the cam roller issue that's a common failure, especially in the 2020's.
Hard to say with these damn things. My '18 JL has had the same tick since new and it has 40k on it. The tick really isn't very loud in person...but I agree, the video makes it sound like a 12v Cummins 😂

Jeep went to the shop today. Called the dealer I bought it from out of state, and they were able to get me in immediately. 4 hour round trip, but hopefully they fix it and don't keep it for a month....we shall see.
Hopefully it’s something simple and you get fixed up! Just catching up on this thread and I’m thinking failing idler pulley.

Jeep went to the shop today. Called the dealer I bought it from out of state, and they were able to get me in immediately. 4 hour round trip, but hopefully they fix it and don't keep it for a month....we shall see.
Hopefully so... Unrelated but I really like the stance of your JT lol. What size lift and tires?

Top Bottom