Hill assist

Strider

I don't know why some people give it a bad rap. I learned to drive with a man. and have one now and think HSA is great. Especially when on steep inclines. Once you get used to it, it becomes your friend.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I don't know why some people give it a bad rap. I learned to drive with a man. and have one now and think HSA is great. Especially when on steep inclines. Once you get used to it, it becomes your friend.

Some people just don't like change.

mr72

on my automatic it requires way too much throttle to reverse up a hill so I could see why it would be dangerous on a manual if you stall

It's not. It's totally transparent in a manual. There's no way it can cause you to stall. I don't know how it works or would work with an auto but I can tell you it has absolutely no negative effect with a manual. It just prevents rolling when you would normally either roll or have to use the hand brake to prevent rolling. That's it. Kind of like an automatic hand brake that releases the instant you start to give gas.

I'm usually not a big believer in these "driver aids" but in this case I think the HSA just does what it's supposed to with no negative effects [at least with a manual]. FWIW I also dig the BLD and so far I haven't felt the need to turn off ETC except when driving in sand. A tiny bit of tech can be a good thing, even in a Jeep. :thumb:

james2003w

I almost find this feature pointless for the Automatics. It's useful when you're teaching someone how to start/stop on a hill while they're learning manual. I learned how to drive manual in a car with out it, so I absolutely hate this feature when I'm driving and have it disabled. However I don't want people burning out my clutch while on a hill so I enable it when there is a learner behind the wheel.

HSA is actually designed to prevent your vehicle from rolling for 2-3 seconds while on a hill. Let it be descending or ascending from a starting position.
The feature is useful for some, and in some situations. I'm just glad that there is the option to disable the feature unlike other vehicles I've driven where you cannot disable it for "safety reasons".

xxJWPxx

I wasn't a fan the first time it came into play on a city street hill in San Francisco but have to say that it's pretty nice on the trail with a manual transmission.

Personally I do not care about it. Have driven manuals for over 20 years and have never needed it before and now with a automatic wrangler I sure do not need it. But I canot see any problem with it. It is just there and working just fine.

However, the hill descent control I think is just great! Put the transfercase in 4 low and also put the automatic gearbox in first gear and the hill descent controll will take down your jeep in very steep sloop or downhill in a unbeliveable controlled maner.

I´m not 100 percent sure but I think I´ve noticed that if you select the 2 gear the hill descent controll will let your jeep go down a little faster and even faster in third and so on. But "lock" the gearbox in first and it works so good. The only thing you have to do is to stear, no breakin and no gas is needed.

Top Bottom