Hiss coming from rear wheel

black pearl

Hooked
So I've started getting a light hiss/squeak from it passenger rear wheel. It could be breaks as I did notice they are getting low. But I want to be prepared if it's a bent flange. What are tall tale sings of a bent flange? To check for bent flange, do I need to pull the axel? If so do the rubicon axels have C clips in the differential? I haven't pulled the axels before on this thing. So just want to know if I need gear oil on hand for this project.
Thanks in advance. 🤙

Edit: I should add it's only at low speed that I can hear it. Under five mph and it doesn't seem to do it all the time, but I could just be not noticing it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

austin160

If it is a rubbing noise jack up the rear axle and spin the wheel to look for a wobble. I had the same thing on mine, I had twisted the splines in the carrier, and could notice a slight wobble.

There are no c-clips in the carrier. Remove the tire, brakes, disconnect the parking brake, remove the 4 nuts on the back side of the housing, then pry the flange out. There is a good write up in the stickies at in this forum.

black pearl

Hooked
If it is a rubbing noise jack up the rear axle and spin the wheel to look for a wobble. I had the same thing on mine, I had twisted the splines in the carrier, and could notice a slight wobble.

There are no c-clips in the carrier. Remove the tire, brakes, disconnect the parking brake, remove the 4 nuts on the back side of the housing, then pry the flange out. There is a good write up in the stickies at in this forum.

I was thinking of doing this. Putting a fixed gage and spin the wheel to look for movement.
I'll check out the write ups
Thanks [emoji106]

WJCO

Meme King
So I've started getting a light hiss/squeak from it passenger rear wheel. It could be breaks as I did notice they are getting low. But I want to be prepared if it's a bent flange. What are tall tale sings of a bent flange? To check for bent flange, do I need to pull the axel? If so do the rubicon axels have C clips in the differential? I haven't pulled the axels before on this thing. So just want to know if I need gear oil on hand for this project.
Thanks in advance. ��

Edit: I should add it's only at low speed that I can hear it. Under five mph and it doesn't seem to do it all the time, but I could just be not noticing it.

If it's intermittently heard, it's probably NOT a bent flange. Once they bend, it's pretty much heard every time the fricken wheel rotates and is annoying as hell. And you won't lose much fluid if you do have to replace the axle. Here's a thread with a ton of info on the symptom:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5487-bent-axle-shaft-flange

black pearl

Hooked
If it's intermittently heard, it's probably NOT a bent flange. Once they bend, it's pretty much heard every time the fricken wheel rotates and is annoying as hell. And you won't lose much fluid if you do have to replace the axle. Here's a thread with a ton of info on the symptom:

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/5487-bent-axle-shaft-flange

Awesome thanks! It's not really annoying. I'll start with replacing the breaks and look for oddities when I have it apart.

Top Bottom