Hood mount vs windshield mount

esbyrd

Ok guys im trying to decide if mounting a 20 to 30' light bar on my hood or some LEDs on either side of my windshield would be best.

So I guess I would like to hear from some guys who have had both or at least been behind the wheel of a jeep with each type. Im wanting to know things as in glare, use able output, spread, wind noise, etc.

Please no recommendations on a 50' bar above the windshield because I cant tolerate the noise plus id be afraid of damaging it with my kayaks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
may i also throw into the loop the strikeforce zebra "thru the grill" mount.

targetlarge.jpg

Ldogg

I have d2's on the windshield and a 10" mounted on my bumper. The windshield d2's are driving pattern and the 10" is a spot/flood combo. The windshield mounted d2's provide more light across a wider area and can easily be adjusted outward for more coverage. With the bumper mounted bar it's all in front and not a lot to the sides. Now put them all together...... Who needs headlights?

Heres a crappy video made last year that shows both plus my truck-lites

http://youtu.be/r1TjOb7JVxM

esbyrd

I have d2's on the windshield and a 10" mounted on my bumper. The windshield d2's are driving pattern and the 10" is a spot/flood combo. The windshield mounted d2's provide more light across a wider area and can easily be adjusted outward for more coverage. With the bumper mounted bar it's all in front and not a lot to the sides. Now put them all together...... Who needs headlights?

Heres a crappy video made last year that shows both plus my truck-lites

http://youtu.be/r1TjOb7JVxM

How are the d2s on windnoise? Any glare from the hood? Ive never been in the drivers seat of a jeep with lights o. The pillars

Ldogg

How are the d2s on windnoise? Any glare from the hood? Ive never been in the drivers seat of a jeep with lights o. The pillars

I honestly don't notice any wind noise and it's windy out here in Colorado at times. The glare off the hood is there, you can sort of see it in that video, but it's not blinding back towards me. I don't really notice it when driving with them on unless I look at the hood. Mine are set pretty straight forward with just a slight angle outward. I have thought about a 20" on the hood but I am content with these for now.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396476216.854521.jpg

robx251

Caught the Bug
I got a 50" on my windshield. I find that with a soft top it causes it to flutter and flap. It also whistles like a bastard at 35. I think I have a solution for that tho I'll let you know if it works after I try it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

munstie

I got a 50" on my windshield. I find that with a soft top it causes it to flutter and flap. It also whistles like a bastard at 35. I think I have a solution for that tho I'll let you know if it works after I try it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Use door edging cut about an inch long here and there on the fins on the back of the light, that should eliminate your whistling. .:thumbup:

JKDriver

Im afraid of the dark....

DSC_0130_zps203bffd1.jpg

As far as the 50, cap the ends and there is no whistling. I strap my canoes and paddle boards up all the time with out damaging the light bar.

Last edited:

esbyrd

Im afraid of the dark....

DSC_0130_zps203bffd1.jpg

As far as the 50, cap the ends and there is no whistling. I strap my canoes and paddle boards up all the time with out damaging the light bar.

Thats a good looking jeep but im pretty firm on the no 50'. Anybody else with lights mounted on hood or pillards can chime in please. I know there is alot of guys running some so just a few words on yalls setup would be some nice help

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thats a good looking jeep but im pretty firm on the no 50'. Anybody else with lights mounted on hood or pillards can chime in please. I know there is alot of guys running some so just a few words on yalls setup would be some nice help

Hood mounted lights you can only have spots, as floods will glare like crazy and cut off 50% of the beam. I have D2s that are slightly angled outward to illuminate my peripheral, a 50" spot on the roof for 1 mile of straight ahead, and a 10" flood on the fairlead for the immediately in front of the jeep. This covers basically all the points necessary. If you don't want a lot of lights, a spot on the hood and a flood on the bumper will give you great visibility, but you'll have a gap on the sides.

Last edited:

Hack12

Hood mounted lights you have only have spots, as floods will glare like crazy and cut off 50% of the beam.

A big X2 on this. Those were the main reasons that I decided to sell my hood mounts.

The 20" light bar I was using was a spot/flood combo and the flood portion of it glared like crazy. Furthermore, as NFRs2000NYC mentioned, it barely added any usable light up front because of the intense glare.

I already have dually's and another 20" light bar on my bumper so I just ditched the hood light bar idea all together.

cpayne41

I have a 30" on the hood and duallys on the A-pillar and in the front bumper. The glare from the 30 and A-pillar lights isn't an issue for me I love all of them.

budmanm3

I have a 30" on the hood and duallys on the A-pillar and in the front bumper. The glare from the 30 and A-pillar lights isn't an issue for me I love all of them.

This is the setup I am looking at doing. Already have the pillars done. Which hood mount did you go with?

cpayne41

This is the setup I am looking at doing. Already have the pillars done. Which hood mount did you go with?

My mount is the trekwerx hudrak. I think that's how you spell it at least, it combines a hi-lift mount and the light bar mount all in one. Solid and works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom