Hound's XJ Build

XJQuinn99

That setup looks nice! What long arms did you go with? I just got longer shocks, I think long arms will be my next big purchase. I'm interested in looking around for a good transfer case skid as well because most long arm kits I've looked at don't offer a ton of protection.

Houndy95

That setup looks nice! What long arms did you go with? I just got longer shocks, I think long arms will be my next big purchase. I'm interested in looking around for a good transfer case skid as well because most long arm kits I've looked at don't offer a ton of protection.
Thanks a lot. I went with Rusty's Off-road long arm upgrade kit. I really have nothing bad to say about it. I really like the ride difference after adding it. There are far less clunks and noises when driving/ cornering. The build quality is great in my opinion. It seems like they took the time to engineer it out and not rush production. I cant compare it with any other long travels but I will say there is no comparison between Rusty's and my old Rough Country components. I also like the fact it has holes to mount up there skid plate to as well so there is no extra drilling required in the long arm cross member, so it just bolts up.

XJQuinn99

That's awesome to hear. Also super reassuring that long arms are a huge upgrade in ride quality on the road. That's got to be my biggest complaint about my short arms right now, is how crappy they ride around town. Does the rusty kit use all solid mounts? Or are there some rubber/poly bushings in there somewhere.

Houndy95

That's awesome to hear. Also super reassuring that long arms are a huge upgrade in ride quality on the road. That's got to be my biggest complaint about my short arms right now, is how crappy they ride around town. Does the rusty kit use all solid mounts? Or are there some rubber/poly bushings in there somewhere.
Yeah the ride difference is really noticeable at least for me it is. It doesn't have that feeling of the axle binding when driving around town. Also it takes road imperfections a lot better, you don't seem to notice all the little bumps.

The lowers on axle side are a solid rubber mount and the uppers on the axle side use the factory bushing. Both upper and lowers on the other ends are a metal joint type of mount. All seem to be very solid, I don't see any problems with them.

XJQuinn99

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! It always helps to hear people's first hand experience with things like that. My short arms feel terrible over little bumps and cracks and stuff in the road so it sounds like long arms will help that out a lot.

I just put new shocks in and they feel amazing, so I'm sure when they are paired with some long arms I will have the ride quality I'm looking for.

Houndy95

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! It always helps to hear people's first hand experience with things like that. My short arms feel terrible over little bumps and cracks and stuff in the road so it sounds like long arms will help that out a lot.

I just put new shocks in and they feel amazing, so I'm sure when they are paired with some long arms I will have the ride quality I'm looking for.

I couldn't agree more, its nice to have real world feedback. To be honest I got to the point that I felt sort of discouraged with the ride the short arms gave me. But after upgrading them its like driving a different vehicle again. I haven't changed out my shocks mostly because they don't have that many miles on them but I may also look at doing this at some point. I still have yet to get any off-road time in since the long arm upgrade but I am expecting it to a great change like town driving is.

Good luck with what you choose to go with. Make sure to post up once you get it done I would love to hear your thoughts, to see if you get the difference I got.

XJQuinn99

I will for sure! Thank you again, I really appreciate the feedback. Makes me excited to get some, and hopefully make my jeep more tolerable to drive everyday!

XJQuinn99

So I started the feat of sound deadening my jeep with some sound deadening I ordered on Amazon this weekend and holy crap what a difference! So far I've done my doors inner and outer skins and my rear hatch. I'm going to order some more and do all my floors with it.

Thank you for the idea! It has to be one of the best mods I've done yet.

Top Bottom