How big of a tire on stock Axles - 2010 Jeep JK Unlimited

mpkelley20

And thanks for the welcome. Not new to Jk's but somewhat new to this forum. It's been a long time since I visited forums as most of the stuff I follow is on FB. We had a few guys join my club sporting the Wayalife banners on their rigs so i figure I'd join and see what is new. Funny how you see the same issues and questions people have been discussing since 2007!

mpkelley20

So if their benefits are questionable, why would you suggest it?

Well, from an engineering standpoint, they can add some strenght to the axle. How you apply that added strength to your driving habits is what makes it questionable. If you are wheeling every weekend on hardocre trails, nothing will help the d30. Daily driving with an occasional trip on a moderate trail, they probably will help. Cheap insurance compared to dropping 4K plus on a new axle. It's like people buying snorkels. How many people bury their jeep underwater where it is truly needed? Sure, it can help reduce the risk of hydrolock but so can smart driving through water. But some see it as cheap insurance. Hard to argue against what people consider to be cost effective ways of reducing risk.

The other "questionable" aspect of it is that there are people who swear that it is not worth it and others who say it helps. There are threads and threads on this debate on many forums with no definitive answers. Seeing that there are two strong opinions on the matter, the person looking at doing this upgrade needs to research both sides (which had already been mentioned in the thread). But for this person's wheeling habits (and knowing the trails he is going on), I don't think it is a bad idea. Gussets are maybe $99 and $75 to weld on. At least do that and keep your fingers crossed that you saved $4K for the time being. Sleeves or trusses....maybe it is cheap insurance he wants to consider.

thardy

Banned
Well, from an engineering standpoint, they can add some strenght to the axle. How you apply that added strength to your driving habits is what makes it questionable. If you are wheeling every weekend on hardocre trails, nothing will help the d30. Daily driving with an occasional trip on a moderate trail, they probably will help. Cheap insurance compared to dropping 4K plus on a new axle. It's like people buying snorkels. How many people bury their jeep underwater where it is truly needed? Sure, it can help reduce the risk of hydrolock but so can smart driving through water. But some see it as cheap insurance. Hard to argue against what people consider to be cost effective ways of reducing risk.

The other "questionable" aspect of it is that there are people who swear that it is not worth it and others who say it helps. There are threads and threads on this debate on many forums with no definitive answers. Seeing that there are two strong opinions on the matter, the person looking at doing this upgrade needs to research both sides (which had already been mentioned in the thread). But for this person's wheeling habits (and knowing the trails he is going on), I don't think it is a bad idea. Gussets are maybe $99 and $75 to weld on. At least do that and keep your fingers crossed that you saved $4K for the time being. Sleeves or trusses....maybe it is cheap insurance he wants to consider.

Gussets are a must, we agree there. Even a front 44 needs them. Where we disagree is on the sleeves and truss. You call them cheap insurance and I call them a false sense of security. For me, they just aren't worth the extra money.

For someone who likes to type a lot, I'm amazed you haven't introduced yourself and your rig yet.

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Sleeves do not keep the axle from bending where the tubes attach to the pumpkin, and that is why they are a waste of money in my book.

I have seen damage done to axles by the installations of the very devices intended to prevent them. Many trusses require significant welding. This welding puts a ton of heat into the axle and causes it to warp. Same for the weld in sleeves. But they offer the added "benefit" of limiting axle-shaft options and increase the likely-hood of seal issues.

I'd save your money....

vitodivita

I can personally say I've seen my friends Dana 30 trussed and gusseted, and it was bent when he finally removed it in favor of a pro rock 44.

mpkelley20

For someone who likes to type a lot, I'm amazed you haven't introduced yourself and your rig yet.

Done.

And we can agree to disagree. That's the wonderful thing about forums like this. And it's an old discussion with no ending in sight. Same crap will be argued 5 years from now.

Top Bottom