How do you transport fluids?

Just adding to this...I see ammo cans for about $17 on Cabelas. The width of the 30 cal can is 4" and the width of the 50 cal can is 6.2". Based on that and the width of your typical fluids bottle, I think I'll need a 50 cal one. Eddie may be able to confirm since this is his idea.

$17 for a watertight, metal, looks sweet storage container so I never have a leak seems like a good deal to me.

He is using the 60mm short can or the PVS14 can. A fat .50 can should work two it will be a little wider but shorter. You can't fit much in the .30 cans. I like the fat .50s the best.

jeeeep

Hooked
I used to carry fluids in a tub container but once I put the deck in I set the height to be just taller than an oil bottle and wanted something to take up less space. after searching for a container, I ended up using battery box from my boat that I found in the garage, the oil bottles fit perfect inside it and slide under the deck.

While I was at Northern Tools I found a low-profile 1.25 gal gas container that works great for anti-freeze

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was just on Quadratec looking at the cans...is the fat 50 worth the extra money?

Fat (6.7"Wx12"Lx8.5"D) Std 50 (5.5"Wx11"Lx7"D)

I was just on Quadratec looking at the cans...is the fat 50 worth the extra money?

I was looking at the same exact cans on qtec last night. I will go with the fat 50. I was worried that the 7" depth on the other wasn't going to be enough to stand up the various oil bottles, but 8.5" should be no issues.

GraniteCrystal

The Fat 50 seems like the one to buy. Bigger is always better

With something like this, I think I want it as small as possible, just big enough to fit a few of the standard plastic oil bottles. Room is already at a premium in the Jeep; I hate to take up more with just empty space and then the bottles could move around inside the ammo cans.

Brute

Hooked
I put a contractors trash bag inside a zippered soft tool bag...4 qts motor oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, gear oil & coolant. I have similar sized bags for a tool bag & winch bag...I just move them from rig to rig when heading out.

Hot94Z28

If you guys have ammo cans that still have the stamp on what was in them, the bottom lot number tells you the year and month the ammo was made. Like LC, is Lake City, and the following number is the year like 87, and the letter next to that is the month like A- January.

GraniteCrystal

Went to Cabelas. The 50 cal ammo can just didn't look tall enough. It was $17. I opted for this instead. It was $15, lighter, and a few inches taller. Also has a seal on it so no leaks. Bottle of gear oil included for size comparison. Actual oil will be purchased in smaller, standard size container.

Attachments

• 1471112415676.jpg
    1471112415676.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 258
  • 1471112428193.jpg
    1471112428193.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 1471112441820.jpg
    1471112441820.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 249

TRLJNKY

Ive got multiple ammo cans of variant caliber and size. What I havnt quite figured out is the best way to secure them to the floor board. Just drill the shit out of the existing floorboard or false floor it and add tie downs to the false floor. What are ppl doing here

JeepFan

Hooked
Picked up 2 inert ordinance cans from an army surplus store. Each can holds up to 8. 1qt bottles with a little room for incidentals.

1471998609869.jpg

Trail JK

I use a 8 gallon actionpacker for fluids and extra parts but after seeing Eddie's and Tony's ammo cans I like that idea a lot better.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
Just in case someone is interested in this the ammo can size is 40mm. Fits fluids in quart bottles nicely. Should be able to find them in most military surplus stores.
Funny thing when the guy was ringing me up he said this size is getting hard to find, I said 'must be a popular size'
He said "yeah... Jeep people" ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473347273.675620.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473347317.518437.jpg

JeepFan

Hooked
I wish I could organize my cargo area like this!

It's like playing Tetris! LOL! :crazyeyes:

Just in case someone is interested in this the ammo can size is 40mm. Fits fluids in quart bottles nicely. Should be able to find them in most military surplus stores.
Funny thing when the guy was ringing me up he said this size is getting hard to find, I said 'must be a popular size'
He said "yeah... Jeep people" View attachment 221720 View attachment 221721

Great find! I recently picked up two of these and they worked out great!

Last edited:

kentuckianajk

I have a 30MM can I use to carry 3-4 quarts of engine oil, 2 gear oil,1 gallon of antifreeze,grease,brake and power steering fluid,funnel ,rags , wD40 etc and grease gun. Fits standing up under the rack I have in the cargo area.

Attachments

• 1473448097531.jpg
    1473448097531.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 161
  • 1473448137697.jpg
    1473448137697.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 173

Jimmypaget

In addition to the ammo cans for organization, I also now find milk crates also help for keeping things where you need them to be.

Ny in az

Fluid storage while wheeling??

Heading to Moab next week and was wondering where and how you guys are storing your fluids while on a wheeling trip?? (coolant, gear oil, motor oil, and etc) Thanks in advance and if anyone else will be there next week shoot me a message and we can hook up!!!:brows:

WJCO

Meme King
Heading to Moab next week and was wondering where and how you guys are storing your fluids while on a wheeling trip?? (coolant, gear oil, motor oil, and etc) Thanks in advance and if anyone else will be there next week shoot me a message and we can hook up!!!:brows:

Merged here.

Top Bottom