How long did you run your stock tire carrier with aftermarket tires?

PLucas

Banned
Tailgate crack spot welds after one year with 35 (lot’s of rattling), with several off-road trips. I would look into something with tire carrier.

DSC03345-1.jpg

RedSyndrome

Has anyone bashed their evo carrier or heavily abused it. Anyone done the same with the poison spyder one?

I had the Poison Spyder Rock Brawler. I drug the tire down a few steep drop offs. Everything held up well. Always opened and closed easily, I never had to adjust it.

PLucas

Banned
I am thinking of replacing my stock tire carrier but don't want to do it asap since I can't choose what one to get but also don't want to ruin my tailgate. I'm running 35" nitro trail grapplers and 17" atx slabs.

Here's a full photo of all the cracks/spot welds (red arrows). Driving around town would probably be alright for quite some time, and provably even for a few years, but I don’t know about wheeling often with the OEM carrier. In my case, I have a few trips this year, and sure as hell don't want my tire to fall-off on the trail or on anyone on the road.

Tailgate-crack-spot-welds.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Here's a full photo of all the cracks/spot welds (red arrows). Driving around town would probably be alright for quite some time, and provably even for a few years, but I don’t know about wheeling often with the OEM carrier. In my case, I have a few trips this year, and sure as hell don't want my tire to fall-off on the trail or on anyone on the road.

View attachment 145600

Let's see how the tire is mounted

Going on 4 years. Just went to 37's from35's about 9 months ago. Won't to the slabs a couple months ago. No damage to the gate.... I've run and stops since I first went to the 35's. I also don't run a rear bumper. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432855257.511752.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432855267.785176.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432855279.493829.jpg

mastrcruse

Ran the 35's (325/65-18) for over a year, through several off-road trips that I would consider "medium" toughness. The tailgate didn't have any trouble with it. Recently went to PS crusher corners and body mounted tire carrier and love the combo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 95
Top Bottom