How long to change front and rear diff.

jkjurny

Wow I never knew I would get flamed on this much for this question. I guess with working on heavy aircraft for a living I would not think that changing out a set of gears would be that much of a hassle. Now I am listening to all of you and this is not the way to go. I figured with having all shims and tools it would only take half of the day and on a 3000 mile trip that could save a few hundred dollars worth a fuel. Guess it is not worth it.

Let's say you can do it every time, don't forget the $100 in differential oil - $50 per change done twice ($200 of your using a synthetic). This would eat into the fuel savings.

BBrown626

Ok say you already have another gear set and diff. for the front and rear. How long would it take to change it out. Only thing you would have to do is pull tires, brakes, axels, cover, diff and pinion gear, then you would install the new set. You would not be swapping any parts everything is ready.

Also if you have done it once and have your spacers correct would you need to check your backlash and everything again.

It might sound weird but what I would like to do for LONG drives is to change to a smaller road tire and gear set to save on fuel. Pull a trailer with all the tools and extras I would need to go on the trails. Before I would go back out I would be changing over to the larger tires and gears that would associate with the tires.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You bought a Jeep and are worried about MPG? if you are really going on a long haul look for a truck to tow your jeep. Maybe a diesel will tow it and get better MPG?

nbruno

Let's say you can do it every time, don't forget the $100 in differential oil - $50 per change done twice ($200 of your using a synthetic). This would eat into the fuel savings.

Plus another $20 in rtv, you're only saving about $80 in gas now. Plus the mileage your losing dragging around the extra 4-500 lbs in tires, 100lbs extra diff carriers plus all the tools that you wouldn't normally carry. (Jack stands, floor jack, fluids, etc)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tigrcky

Not to mention new crush sleeve every time, now he could be trolling...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkrossi

Forget all the haters. ^^

I say go for it! You only live once right?

I agree go for it you only live once... he will probably only do it once too.

To me its totally a waste of good trail and relaxation time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom