How should you shift into 4H or 4L, full stop or 3-4 mph?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I agree with the slow roll when shifting the transfer case, but what about top speed in 4H? My question is basically based around winter driving. I'd like to be in 4x4 when roads get real bad but I don't know if it's safe to keep it in those gears for too long or going too fast with it.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

this is something ive been curious about as well for the top speed, not like i go fast in snow or anything but it is nice to know. for my shifting into 4h or 4lo i just take it easy and slow down a lot, i guess i am just over cautious with it.

Holeshot

Banned
I've done it both at a complete stop and while rolling slowly. Sometimes it will not go into 4 low at a complete stop. So I slowly move and then do it. I think the key is not to force it into 4 low regardless of whether you are moving or stopped. The key is anticipating when you might need 4 low and doing so before you need it. :yup:

This is the way mine is too. I have no problems shifting from 2-4Hi at any speed (<40) or stopped, but 4hi-4Lo never wants to go unless there is just a we-bit of movement. Most times I can just push the clutch and let her roll a bit. (just a few inches.) Then it slips right in. If I tried to mash it in 4Lo at a stop I would break something for sure.

Same here, sometimes it engage easily at a complete stop, and sometimes I need to move a little bit.

Concerning shifting from 2hi to 4hi, honnestly, I do it at any speed. During the winter, most of the time I'm on 2hi on the highway but if it gets slipery, I will not stop then shift to 4hi... Its "shift on the fly" they say.. It shifts smooth all the time. When it's really slipery or snowy, I just press the clutch, shift to 4hi, then release the clutch, just to make sure all four wheel turn at the same speed.

Always did it this way, even with my old 97 TJ, and never had any issue.

I'm not shy to go at 60-70 even on 4 hi.. Unless your four tires are worn identicaly, there shouldn't be any worry. Why pick-up truck could, and not jeeps? Technicaly, the mecanic is the same.

IMO, the only reason why they would say not to drive faster than XX mph on 4hi, is because the handling is affected, and not everybody will understand and compensate their driving in function of that.

Last edited:

Tcdawg

FROZNJP said:
Hmmm, interesting. So there may be a link between shifting speed and the transfer case shift cable bushing failures. Has anyone, who comes to a complete stop, experienced a bushing failure?

Happened to a friend of mine in Moab a couple months ago. The bushings are plastic and can get brittle. Once they are brittle, they can break no matter how you shift.

FrankenJeeper

Happened to a friend of mine in Moab a couple months ago. The bushings are plastic and can get brittle. Once they are brittle, they can break no matter how you shift.

Happened to me last week, going from 4L to 4H at a stop. Last time it was the bushing at the T-case, this time it happened at the shifter under the console. Not fun to fix at midnight lol.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
I always stop put it in neutral for 4hi to 4low any other way it seems to harsh a little grinding even. I've never had to be moveing either it just slides in.

Sent from my SPH-L720

GuillaumeC91

this is something ive been curious about as well for the top speed, not like i go fast in snow or anything but it is nice to know. for my shifting into 4h or 4lo i just take it easy and slow down a lot, i guess i am just over cautious with it.

Yeah same here. I wouldn't really see myself doing anything over 50mph in 4hi but its good to know what you can and maybe shouldn't do! :thumbup:

Concerning shifting from 2hi to 4hi, honnestly, I do it at any speed. During the winter, most of the time I'm on 2hi on the highway but if it gets slipery, I will not stop then shift to 4hi... Its "shift on the fly" they say.. It shifts smooth all the time. When it's really slipery or snowy, I just press the clutch, shift to 4hi, then release the clutch, just to make sure all four wheel turn at the same speed.

Always did it this way, even with my old 97 TJ, and never had any issue.

I'm not shy to go at 60-70 even on 4 hi.. Unless your four tires are worn identicaly, there shouldn't be any worry. Why pick-up truck could, and not jeeps? Technicaly, the mecanic is the same.

IMO, the only reason why they would say not to drive faster than XX mph on 4hi, is because the handling is affected, and not everybody will understand and compensate their driving in function of that.

That's interesting. I like the idea of slowing down a bit at least but I guess you're right, in theory it shouldn't matter much. Should be able to drive at highway speeds in 4hi except if you get really sharp curves haha. Its gonna be my first winter so I guess I'll try it when the weather gets bad! :p

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

Top Bottom