How to spend my money?

Evil

Jeff,

You and I are almost in the same boat. I have wanted to get into off-roading for over 20 years, finally pulled the trigger this year with a 2016 JKUR, but I had also been saving up for a few years. My build, without the price of the Rubicon itself, is around $55k. So if you are interested in learning what I have learned, including the pitfalls involved, just hit me up and we can discuss. I have learned so much from this forum, so you are in the right place. They are SUPER helpful on here, just don't argue with them with ignorance, and you will be fine.

I must say that I feel confident that you will get good info, just understanding that upgrading a Jeep is not cheap and that if you proceed by trying to save money, you will end up spending more money in the long run. It is always best to get it right the first time. The big question really is, what size tires do you want to end up with and work towards that goal.

Please send me a PM if you want more information. Good luck and enjoy that Rubicon!!

Advice of the year right there. :thumb:

Speeddmn

Your list is pretty complete but some of the prices are off. Enforcer will be 1500 without shocks and you'll also need a draglink flip kit, so with Rancho 9000s, we're talking $2300. Also, I can't find a warn 8000 for anythinh less than $575, but now I'm just nitpicking. Anyway, I agree with all your items.:thumb:

WARN 86245 VR8000 8,000 lb Winch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UJ3IAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_2dKexb390EGD3

Off the ORE site, enforcer is 1289, drang link flip 299.

Rockauto has ranchos for 3 inch lift plus rebate so there is 300 bucks.

LearJeff

Big believer in the truth! At the end of the day, truth (painful though it sometimes may be to hear) is usually always less expensive than hype and wishful thinking. So I'm ready for it!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Most folks like to put on lift and tires first. Depending on tire size you will probably also have to regear. Depending on lift size will also tell you what else you might need to buy to go with the lift. For instance, you have a 2 dr. Any lift 3" and up you will have to have front lower control arms, rear upper control arms, also draglink flip kit is suggested instead of drop pitman arm, change out front and rear drive shafts, and depending on what lift you go with, you might have to buy shocks too. Now anything 2.5 and under you probably won't need all that. Just do your research. There is plenty of info on this forum. Don't limit yourself to a certain price cause it's gonna keep getting bigger and bigger. Have patience. Get what you need first and then add the little things that you might want. Have fun with it

1thing to add here, they say a lot of lifts give about 1/2 in more lift than is advertised for a 2 dr, just something to be aware of. It would suck thinking that your getting a simple lift then all of a sudden you need new control arms and driveshafts.

Eezybreezy08

1thing to add here, they say a lot of lifts give about 1/2 in more lift than is advertised for a 2 dr, just something to be aware of. It would suck thinking that your getting a simple lift then all of a sudden you need new control arms and driveshafts.

This is true
So for the op, check your measurements before you put on the lift, especially if you are flirting with a 2.5 suspension and not a 2.5 bb. Cause you don't want to be like me a put on 2 in coils with 3/4 spacer and sit next to a jeep with a 3 in kit on it, and you almost be as tall as he is. I'm poor so I can't get all the parts that I need now haha. I'll have to change things as they break ha

Clutch

Caught the Bug
This is true
So for the op, check your measurements before you put on the lift, especially if you are flirting with a 2.5 suspension and not a 2.5 bb. Cause you don't want to be like me a put on 2 in coils with 3/4 spacer and sit next to a jeep with a 3 in kit on it, and you almost be as tall as he is. I'm poor so I can't get all the parts that I need now haha. I'll have to change things as they break ha

Did you have this trouble with the Rancho Sport lift or the Evo leveling?

Clutch

Caught the Bug
It's not trouble to me. I actually like it sitting the way it is. It's the Evo leveling on mine. The rancho is on the 4 dr and it sits lower than mine with the same setup.

Yea, but is the geometry off enough to warrant new parts or causing your driveshaft to fail? If not, then i'd say you won!

Eezybreezy08

Yea, but is the geometry off enough to warrant new parts or causing your driveshaft to fail? If not, then i'd say you won!

Now I have a drop pitman arm on since at one point I had a terror flex 2.5 bb lift. So that helped with the geometry part. Now I haven't noticed anything as far as pulling, being out of alignment, or tires wearing real bad either with the front and that why I haven't done anything to the lower control arms. I also have a 2 in spacer in the rear that I kept in from the bb instead of changing to the 3/4 spacer that came with the Evo leveling kit. And that's cause it actually sits level with how the front is set up. I have the drop bracket still in place on the frame side for the rear trac bar that I left in from the bb. As far as my drive shaft goes I haven't torn the boot up yet if that's what your asking. Now I do have the rancho shocks for the o-2 in lift on the front so that probably helps as far as limiting my travel and keeping that drive shaft from dropping to low. Now I will say, I am no damn jeep expert by any means, and I'm not saying this is the best way to do things either, but it works for me and I haven't had any problems with it. Plus I only do moderate wheeling where I get to go rock crawling only about 2-3 times a year.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I see. I was surprised to hear that you sit higher than a 3" lift on the Evo kit. When I lift, I just want something good and easy while improving the ride somewhat like the evo 2" plush rides and rancho 9000, hence the rancho sport lift or Evo leveling kit. But I don't want to spend money on driveshafts etc.

Eezybreezy08

I see. I was surprised to hear that you sit higher than a 3" lift on the Evo kit. When I lift, I just want something good and easy while improving the ride somewhat like the evo 2" plush rides and rancho 9000, hence the rancho sport lift or Evo leveling kit. But I don't want to spend money on driveshafts etc.

Now I'm not saying that I sit a for certain higher, I am just close to sitting the same as a 3 in. Sorry if I explained it wrong. But you will be just fine going with the Evo with rancho 9000. I'm using that except I just added a 3/4 spacer. The ride is nice and soft especially for my jeep. Of course that is always opinionated per person. And I honestly think you don't need any drive shafts changed out. Hell, a lot of people is running this exact same set up. Without the 3/4 spacer in the front. Just the Evo kit, I think they allow for the weight of front bumpers and winches put on. Both of those kits are nice. I love them on both jeeps. But because of the weight of the 4 door, my wife's is having the enforcer put on asap

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Now I'm not saying that I sit a for certain higher, I am just close to sitting the same as a 3 in. Sorry if I explained it wrong. But you will be just fine going with the Evo with rancho 9000. I'm using that except I just added a 3/4 spacer. The ride is nice and soft especially for my jeep. Of course that is always opinionated per person. And I honestly think you don't need any drive shafts changed out. Hell, a lot of people is running this exact same set up. Without the 3/4 spacer in the front. Just the Evo kit, I think they allow for the weight of front bumpers and winches put on. Both of those kits are nice. I love them on both jeeps. But because of the weight of the 4 door, my wife's is having the enforcer put on asap

Ok, well that's good. I'm very confident that I'll go with the Rancho kit, unless I do something just ridiculous.

Eezybreezy08

The rancho kit is a good kit and it comes complete. I like it for certain. It's just tall enough to squeeze on 35 yet it's not to tall where you after worry about all the extras

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I breezed through this thread looking but I wanted to add, don't get caught up on the trail rig vs. overland rig thing. A jeep can be built for both with neither one in mind. There are plenty of jeeps on here built for everything that I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere, and then there are "overlander" rigs that I wouldn't get to far off the paved roads with.

As mentioned the Rubis are pretty capable right out of the box. So depending on what your overall goal is, it might determine how you go. I wanted 35s as soon as I could get them, knowing that combined with the fact that I didnt want to stop at 35s I went with the cheapest, most decent, most complete kit I could. I researched it alot and knew some of the issues going in. I went with a 2.5 inch coil lift from terraflex. I went with the coils over the puck lift as I was worried that the pucks on top of the factory springs would sag with my bumper and winch up front and all the crap I carry all the time in the back. It very well could have been me just over thinking it. The coils are noticeably rougher riding than stock and while better shocks may help, im running the rubi shocks with extensions from the kit, the ride on road isnt too bad. Its alot smoother than all of the YJs Ive had along with the straight front axle Chevys Ive ran. I am looking to change to a 4 inch EVO Enforcer lift at some point though. So if you want 35s asap but know you will eventually go bigger I would recommend either going as cheap as possible (like terraflex budget boost, evo leveling kit, or ranch 2 inch sport lift) or going to the exact lift you think you will keep for a while. I had to wait due to $$ and will be building into it.

Skid plates: you will need them sometime and will protect your belly even stock. get them for the oil pan, tranny, and exhaust crossover/cross member. EVO makes a great kit and that's what a lot of people on here run. Rock Hard is a forum sponsor and I believe are good as well but I have no experience. I'm sure there are others as well but I have EVO so i don't know.

Recovery gear: something you could need no matter if its stock or completely build. Get a good snatch strap and some d rings at minimum. If you can get a winch now, get one and add a tree saver and a snatch block to the list. There are kits out there or you can build your own. ARB is a good brand. Warn is a good brand as far as winches go.

Depending on your wheeling, you may need some rocker armor. A lot of folks on here run the EVO sliders because they are good, solid, and work excellent. You can also get a custom angle on them for more of a step. LOD makes some also that are supposed to be good and are more of a step. Its highly recommended to get some that weld to the frame. The ones that bolt to the tub can cause tub damage.

Most of all get out and have fun with it. Learn your rig, even in stock form it is capable and still just as fun. There's a lot of stuff you can add before lift and tires that you can still benefit from having.

LearJeff

I breezed through this thread looking but I wanted to add, don't get caught up on the trail rig vs. overland rig thing. A jeep can be built for both with neither one in mind. There are plenty of jeeps on here built for everything that I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere, and then there are "overlander" rigs that I wouldn't get to far off the paved roads with.

As mentioned the Rubis are pretty capable right out of the box. So depending on what your overall goal is, it might determine how you go. I wanted 35s as soon as I could get them, knowing that combined with the fact that I didnt want to stop at 35s I went with the cheapest, most decent, most complete kit I could. I researched it alot and knew some of the issues going in. I went with a 2.5 inch coil lift from terraflex. I went with the coils over the puck lift as I was worried that the pucks on top of the factory springs would sag with my bumper and winch up front and all the crap I carry all the time in the back. It very well could have been me just over thinking it. The coils are noticeably rougher riding than stock and while better shocks may help, im running the rubi shocks with extensions from the kit, the ride on road isnt too bad. Its alot smoother than all of the YJs Ive had along with the straight front axle Chevys Ive ran. I am looking to change to a 4 inch EVO Enforcer lift at some point though. So if you want 35s asap but know you will eventually go bigger I would recommend either going as cheap as possible (like terraflex budget boost, evo leveling kit, or ranch 2 inch sport lift) or going to the exact lift you think you will keep for a while. I had to wait due to $$ and will be building into it.

Skid plates: you will need them sometime and will protect your belly even stock. get them for the oil pan, tranny, and exhaust crossover/cross member. EVO makes a great kit and that's what a lot of people on here run. Rock Hard is a forum sponsor and I believe are good as well but I have no experience. I'm sure there are others as well but I have EVO so i don't know.

Recovery gear: something you could need no matter if its stock or completely build. Get a good snatch strap and some d rings at minimum. If you can get a winch now, get one and add a tree saver and a snatch block to the list. There are kits out there or you can build your own. ARB is a good brand. Warn is a good brand as far as winches go.

Depending on your wheeling, you may need some rocker armor. A lot of folks on here run the EVO sliders because they are good, solid, and work excellent. You can also get a custom angle on them for more of a step. LOD makes some also that are supposed to be good and are more of a step. Its highly recommended to get some that weld to the frame. The ones that bolt to the tub can cause tub damage.

Most of all get out and have fun with it. Learn your rig, even in stock form it is capable and still just as fun. There's a lot of stuff you can add before lift and tires that you can still benefit from having.

Really informative, great info. Thanks! I'm already busy making lists of all the recommendations posted here so I can start price checking everything and then come up with a final direction for my project. I Appreciate it more than I can say! So thanks again.

Top Bottom