Howdy From TN!

JustifiedJeep

Hello all, sorry for the howdy but had to differentiate from the other recent TN post lol. I'm Mark from East TN and my Jeep is a 2018 JLU Rubicon. I've done quite a bit of upgrades inside and under the hood but still have some big ones to do outside including lift and wheels. I've enjoyed watching Eddie's videos on YouTube and really liking what I've seen of the new ACCUAIR lift kit. Always open to recommendations on mods, especially lifts and wheels.Jeep.jpg

Last edited:
Hello all, sorry for the howdy but had to differentiate from the other recent TN post lol. I'm Mark from East TN and my Jeep is a 2018 JLU Rubicon. I've done quite a bit of upgrades inside and under the hood but still have some big ones to do outside including lift and wheels. I've enjoyed watching Eddie's videos on YouTube and really liking what I've seen of the new ACCUAIR lift kit. Always open to recommendations on mods, especially lifts and wheels.View attachment 393170
Hey, I just noticed you have the same S&B performance air cleaner & fresh air scoop setup I do. Don't know which engine you have, but this system really woke up our little 2.0 Turbo... especially with the high flow twin outlet muffler at the back.

Hey, I just noticed you have the same S&B performance air cleaner & fresh air scoop setup I do. Don't know which engine you have, but this system really woke up our little 2.0 Turbo... especially with the high flow twin outlet muffler at the back.
I have the 3.6 along with the EVC pedal controller and I think it made a good difference as well even though several say cold air intakes are just snake oil 🤷🏻‍♂️. It at least sounds better if nothing else lol. I still have to get the dual outlet muffler at some point.

On a turbo-engine, the effectiveness of the intercooler is the most significant factor given that it impacts the charge density of the air by cooling it down. A cooler air intake in front of the turbo should not have a large effect, unless it is a particularly poor turbo which is not able to achieve the desired boost pressure. Maybe if the Jeep is really hot due to driving slowly.

I have the 3.6 along with the EVC pedal controller and I think it made a good difference as well even though several say cold air intakes are just snake oil 🤷🏻‍♂️. It at least sounds better if nothing else lol. I still have to get the dual outlet muffler at some point.
I can tell you from experience, they are not snake oil. Better intake & exhaust help the engine to be more efficient. Colder air translates to a better density in the cylinder for more power & efficiency. The exhaust needs a little back pressure to help the engine. Factory exhaust have way too much back pressure & straight pipes have basically none. Those basics Still help modern computer controlled vehicles. I'll be installing a throttle controller soon, hoping it helps with the turbo lag that at times can be hazardous.

On a turbo-engine, the effectiveness of the intercooler is the most significant factor given that it impacts the charge density of the air by cooling it down. A cooler air intake in front of the turbo should not have a large effect, unless it is a particularly poor turbo which is not able to achieve the desired boost pressure. Maybe if the Jeep is really hot due to driving slowly.
And that intercooler is exactly why a cold air intake helps the Jeep turbo 2.0
The Jeep does not have an intercooler. The intake goes straight into the turbo. An intercooler provides a colder, denser air charge, & could probably help the Wrangler. Just try to tell racers & others that it doesn't work to improve the performance overall. But in these Wrangler's without an intercooler, the better intake, combined with fresh air scoops provides a similar benefit. It may not be as much, but it is definitely noticeable. If you're ever next to me when I open it up, you'll instantly know how much air the turbo engine is sucking in. You can tell the factory system flows much less.

And that intercooler is exactly why a cold air intake helps the Jeep turbo 2.0
The Jeep does not have an intercooler. The intake goes straight into the turbo. An intercooler provides a colder, denser air charge, & could probably help the Wrangler. Just try to tell racers & others that it doesn't work to improve the performance overall. But in these Wrangler's without an intercooler, the better intake, combined with fresh air scoops provides a similar benefit. It may not be as much, but it is definitely noticeable. If you're ever next to me when I open it up, you'll instantly know how much air the turbo engine is sucking in. You can tell the factory system flows much less.
I seriously had no idea there was no intercooler and we own a 2.0. I never even took the time to look. My wife drives it most of the time. Crazy stupid of the factory not to have that. Might be a future mod I do. I've owned several turbo vehicles. Intercooler is key.

Yep, would've been nice to have one for the benefits. I've found a company that makes the turbo to intake tube out of aluminum, instead of the plastic factory piece. Haven't found an intercooler kit yet... But haven't looked that hard. Just the intake & exhaust mods make this thing take off like a scalded cat 😯. But this heat we've been having causes a bit of power loss you can feel, & the turbo lag is worse. That's why I'm hoping the pedal controller will give me an edge on that lag.
You can see here that the air cleaner system connects directly to the turbo. Haven't left the engine cover off yet. I usually do to help with engine cooling. In hot areas, everything helps.

Attachments

• 16905973904826258813342271686958.jpg
    16905973904826258813342271686958.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 16905974247845321849133483077877.jpg
    16905974247845321849133483077877.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 2
Yep, would've been nice to have one for the benefits. I've found a company that makes the turbo to intake tube out of aluminum, instead of the plastic factory piece. Haven't found an intercooler kit yet... But haven't looked that hard. Just the intake & exhaust mods make this thing take off like a scalded cat 😯. But this heat we've been having causes a bit of power loss you can feel, & the turbo lag is worse. That's why I'm hoping the pedal controller will give me an edge on that lag.
You can see here that the air cleaner system connects directly to the turbo. Haven't left the engine cover off yet. I usually do to help with engine cooling. In hot areas, everything helps.
Ours definitely has less power in the heat. If I seriously pursue this, I'll likely build something custom if a kit doesn't exist by then.

Top Bottom