I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

Ha ha! That's how I feel getting ready for today's work outside! The plan is to have the fab work done and be ready for paint at the warmest part of the day. It's supposed to be 58 by 3pm. It's 28 right now...

I have my new corner guards on the way and I'm wondering when I'm ever gonna be able to paint them with it staying cool down here. Yesterday it was freaking 72 today it's only gonna be 29

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have my new corner guards on the way and I'm wondering when I'm ever gonna be able to paint them with it staying cool down here. Yesterday it was freaking 72 today it's only gonna be 29

Ha ha! That's how I feel getting ready for today's work outside! The plan is to have the fab work done and be ready for paint at the warmest part of the day. It's supposed to be 58 by 3pm. It's 28 right now...
I feel your pain. This was me a few days ago.

Warming sliders by the fire:
IMG_20161214_165143.jpg

Paint booth in garage with heater:
IMG_20161214_152644.jpg

If you get the metal piece entirely warm, the paint can warm, and try to keep the garage warm, it can be done. It was about 20 outside when I did mine. They were only in the garage for about 15 min while painting a few coats. Then back inside to dry in the warmth of the house.

IMG_20161214_230858.jpg

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

We had up to 60 mph gusts Friday, so I get the wild weather changes.

View attachment 234861

View attachment 234862

If you get the metal piece entirely warm, the paint can warm, and try to keep the garage warm, it can be done. It was about 20 outside when I did mine. They were only in the garage for about 15 min while painting a few coats. Then back inside to dry in the warmth of the house.

View attachment 234863

I wish I had a working fireplace. My rental has a propane version but it's inop. Looks like you handled your situation like a pro!

I wish it was 28. 10 here and I still have to work on the jeep :mad:

View attachment 234861

View attachment 234862

View attachment 234863

I will say, you handled that like a pro

After being at it for the last 8 hours, I'm calling it quits for the night. The absolute most difficult thing has been determining the correct placement of the winch mounting plate (made out of 1/4" steel left over from the bumper build). The second most time consuming thing was cutting 6 holes with a 1.75" hole saw. I don't have a drill press and am not sure that would've worked anyway. The Milwaukee hole saws did pretty good cutting all those holes in the 1/4" though. 2 were for the fairlead hole, (then cutoff wheel to open them up), and 4 were cut on the lower "skid plate" angle so I can easily access the mounting holes on the bottom of the winch.

I repositioned the mounting plate 3 times, tack welding a gusset in place each time, breaking the weld, grinding and recutting a new gusset, then tacking the new gusset in. All that to find out the 1" decorative angle I built into the top, front of the bumper is preventing the winch from moving forward 3/8". If all goes well, I'll make those modifications in the morning. It's now whiskey sipping time...

Fairlead and mounting hardware holes cut

IMG_2334.jpg

Winch plate mounting hole test fit

IMG_2335.jpg

How the plate currently sits with one gusset (of 5 planned) tacked in place

IMG_2336.jpg

The 1" angled portion over the fairlead needs to be trimmed

IMG_2337.jpg

Spider sleeps a second night bumperless

IMG_2338.jpg

Time permitting, I want to add some 1/2" rod to the top portion of the stinger and a couple stinger gussets too. No matter what, I will probably just do paint touch ups instead of a full repaint. I may wait until spring to strip it all down and re-coat with VHT.

Sorry I didn't have better news, but also not overly disappointed. Ok, whiskey...here I come! [emoji122]

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

That's gonna be sweet when it's done, but drilling even one hole through 1/4" steel sucks. That's a ton of work you did today.

That's gonna be sweet when it's done, but drilling even one hole through 1/4" steel sucks. That's a ton of work you did today.

Yeah, it was. A grand total of 12 holes drilled in 1/4". The 6 previously mentioned, plus 4 winch mounting holes and 2 fairlead holes.

Thanks! I hope it turns out as good as I have it in my mind.

I'll give you credit for certain, good job on that bumper.

Thanks brother!

4 1/2 more hours labor today, but they paid off. It was still a lot of work and I think I lifted that heavy winch about 30 times today test fitting.

I am very glad I did not try to do this to the bumper when I first built it for a couple reasons. 1st I initially planned to get the M8000. As I understand it that is like most winches, offset. 2nd I would have never gotten the height and correct center without having it here, in my hands. I could've gotten it close, but not as good as it is right now.

Tomorrow I will test fit everything installed on the Jeep. Then I still need to work on the stinger gussets and winch line rod on the stinger to. Then sanding, priming and painting. I'm off work now until next week so I hope to have everything wrapped up tomorrow. Here are some pics as I was finishing up tonight.

Upside down, welding the bottom of the plate to the front and the upper parts of the gussets

IMG_2341.jpg

Right side up, all welds complete

IMG_2342.jpg

Side view showing the winch mounted and completely inside the bumper front to back

IMG_2344.jpg

Front view

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

Great build. You've inspired me to relearn how to weld. Guess I've got to start making trips out to the family farm more.

Top Bottom