I want to plan a trip to the Alpine loop or Moab for Sept 2019, time to brainstorm...

jorgelrod

Hooked
Spares

On the topic of spares for a trip so long away from home. Let's set three Tiers, Must Bring, Try to bring, Readily available everywhere and probably not needed to bring

Spare rear axle shaft - Must Bring or Try to bring?

Other recommendations and the Tier you think it should be under...

Tanktitan

On the topic of spares for a trip so long away from home. Let's set three Tiers, Must Bring, Try to bring, Readily available everywhere and probably not needed to bring

Spare rear axle shaft - Must Bring or Try to bring?

Other recommendations and the Tier you think it should be under...

Unless you are planning on Area BFE in Moab or running 7, 8, or 9 trails there, you probably will not break anything if your Jeep is in good order and you drive sensibly. You are going to have a great trip but you need more time. You can spend a week in Moab and a week in CO and still not do all you want. Add a week driving back and forth...

If your Jeep is not your daily drive, and you can do without it for a while, you might consider driving out, running trails, park it in a storage unit and fly home. When you come back to get it, run some more and drive home. You will save a week of highway driving that way and your get two great trips. (Though I still recommend using the drive out and back to see backroads America.)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I would take tools, fluids, air compressor. You don’t need to go crazy with spare parts. I brought 1 spare stock real lower control arm and a rear driveshaft. The shelf roads in Ouray can easily be done in a stock jeep. The trails in Moab, aren’t bad either. The likelihood of breaking is slim especially if you are a moderately knowledgeable first timer. The likelihood of breakage increases when you get more confident.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I would take tools, fluids, air compressor. You don’t need to go crazy with spare parts. I brought 1 spare stock real lower control arm and a rear driveshaft. The shelf roads in Ouray can easily be done in a stock jeep. The trails in Moab, aren’t bad either. The likelihood of breaking is slim especially if you are a moderately knowledgeable first timer. The likelihood of breakage increases when you get more confident.

I got tools, fluids and the compressor on the Powerplant, I'm covered on those.

On my list of trails in Colorado I have Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, Ophir and Poughkeepsie Gulch. At Moab, I have at least Hell's Revenge, Top of the World, Golden Spike. I know there's a ton more but those are iconic and I love to do those at least

black pearl

Hooked
I got tools, fluids and the compressor on the Powerplant, I'm covered on those.

On my list of trails in Colorado I have Black Bear, Imogene, Engineer, Ophir and Poughkeepsie Gulch. At Moab, I have at least Hell's Revenge, Top of the World, Golden Spike. I know there's a ton more but those are iconic and I love to do those at least

I just got back from Moab and ran top of the world and poison spider with the golden spike loop. I wouldn't worry to much of breaking as long as you don't drive like your in a ultra 4. From talking with some locals hells revenge isn't that hard of a trail, in less you don't like steep climbs, but I haven't actually run it myself so no first hand on that one.

rlew0083

We drive from Birmingham, AL to Telluride all the time. Two days out, a weeks worth of trails, and then two days back. We have only been to Moab for a day trip from Telluride.

Pass on the Alpine Loop, it's not all its billed to be. Do Imogene and Black Bear Pass, my favorites. If you have time squeeze in Mineral Creek out of Ouray up to Animas Forks. Fun trail and if you have additional time you can do Poughkeepsie Gulch. If you have a lot of time, go through Creede, CO and take Stoney Pass from Creede over to Silverton. Stoney is a much underrated trail but I love doing it. Lots of fun and great scenery. Good Tex-Mex at Kips in Creede. Also, stop in for a couple fo beers at the brewery in Ouray from the rooftop. Great scenery and good beer.

When doing Imogene and Black Bear, stop in Telluride and have pizza at Brown Dog Pizza. Order the Detroit Style 313, DELICIOUS and a World Championship winner at the Pizza Contest in Vegas!

Your on your own or at others discretion for Moab. We want to go back and spend a couple of days but just have t made it yet.

jorgelrod

Hooked
We drive from Birmingham, AL to Telluride all the time. Two days out, a weeks worth of trails, and then two days back. We have only been to Moab for a day trip from Telluride.

Pass on the Alpine Loop, it's not all its billed to be.

Thanks for the great suggestions, what about Ophir and Engineer pass, did you run those?

rlew0083

Thanks for the great suggestions, what about Ophir and Engineer pass, did you run those?

Ophir is very scenic. Easy trail, been passed by locals in Subarus but very scenic. It is a seasonal short cut from Silverton over to Telluride. However, I have seen pics of rollovers on Ophir friends in Telluride have shared so if your not paying attention it can be dangerous.

Engineer is nice, it gets a lot of press because of the Alpine Loop but Imogene, Black Bear, and Mineral Creek are my favorites. The best part of Engineer is the pass and Oh Point. Other than that the east side is a lot of dirt road in the trees. The west side of Engineer is fun going up though. Lots of hairpin turns on the climb up. The valet Animas Forks sits in is very scenic. Not a hard trail at all but nice drive.

Others to consider are Cork Sure, Hurricane Pass, and California Pass. All three can be done in a couple of hours unless you stop a lot.

If your up near Breckenridge I would recommend North Fork and Middle Fork of the Swan River. We were pleasantly surprised by how much fun these trails are and how great the scenery is. Tops on my list near Breckenridge though is Wheeler Lake.

The thing about it, whichever trails you choose they are all fun and the scenery is fantastic.

DaJudge

Animas Forks ghost town to California Pass to Hurricane Pass and then Corkscrew Pass. Beautiful drive!
Have lunch at Lake Como.
Colorado Fall 2016 (16)to post.jpg

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
I am planning a trip for our Jeep club to Ouray, Co last week of July 2019. Good to read all the comments help me plan what is worth it and what is not. :thumb:

Top Bottom