I'm debating on whether or not to get a roof rack.

sean.m.adams33

When I first got my jeep I wanted a roof rack. It was high on the pri list. Mind you I don't have a family or anything either. As time progressed I realized a lot sooner that I definitely didn't need one. Having said that I did look a lot into the products out there and gobi was the nicest in my eyes.

Definitely get creative with packing first before you drop $1500.

newtdog

I don't think I'm ever going to get a roof rack but if I did, I'd get the Gobi. That thing just looks badass!

2010 MANGO TANGO SPORT JKU🇺🇸

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you don't have a TON of stuff, consider a hitch carrier....you can drive to your camping spot, unload, and go wheeling without any obstructions. Also, from my personal experience, I've noticed that most of my really bulky things aren't actually very heavy (coleman tent, studio style chairs, etc etc)...so, you may want to consider something like a Smittybilt Defender roofrack....

attachment.php

SB-45454_3_7166.jpg

This is the route I'll be going with....a few things I like...

1) No drilling, mounts to the gutters and rear window bolts.

2) Can be removed VERY quickly.

3) Priced right (around $600 for rack and mounts)

4) Light tabs on all sides.

5) Can hold an adequate amount of gear (for my needs), I think rated for 90lbs carry weight.

Best of all, it isn't that large...so, drive cross country to Moab, unpack, take off the rack, (leave the mounts in place) and go wheelin. No clearance issues, no extra weight (when wheeling), etc. Just my .02

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Since my rig lives in the garage a roof rack is not an option. Our rear seat houses the Jeep Dog and our ARB fridge/freezer, and below the Tuffy security deck are my tools, spare parts, fluids, etc.
This makes my camping gear space limited to the top of the deck. SO what we did was start shopping REI for hiking gear. Everything is designed to become very small for hiking. Everything we could make smaller by changing to hiking gear, we have. Just a thought … :twocents:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That's nice and all but I have a soft top.

Ah, gotcha. In that case, I believe your only options are going to be the no drill full exo racks like the gobi, congo, etc. :( Like I said, if you can pack accordingly, you can probably get away with just a hitch cargo carrier. They can hold a lot of stuff provided you use the proper containers to store stuff, then when you get to your destination, you can easily remove em.

hitchrack_500.jpg

crowrb29

Couldn't find a picture but they make angled hitch receiver racks that sit up by the spare tire mount. Much cheaper than a roof rack.

ShinDiggity

Ah, gotcha. In that case, I believe your only options are going to be the no drill full exo racks like the gobi, congo, etc. :( Like I said, if you can pack accordingly, you can probably get away with just a hitch cargo carrier. They can hold a lot of stuff provided you use the proper containers to store stuff, then when you get to your destination, you can easily remove em.

View attachment 82733

I've seen those racks at Walmart and almost bought one. Doesn't seem too practical if we want to do some light trails on the way to camp but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom