I'm still liquid for 100k smartass

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Basically asking a conservative to believe that government is good.

I'm not saying government is good; I'm simply positing the reality that government becomes necessary because so many people are bad. If we truly want to reduce the level of government in our lives, we must first be willing, as individuals, to govern ourselves with integrity and honor.

jims68

Speaking of ethics I just came from our local jeep dealer. We purchased a new 2011 Grand Cherokee from them and bought the extended warranty with the vanishing deductible. Have had 0 issues but I knew from the noisy fan motor it would need to be looked at sooner or later. Well last week the cabin diverter part that directs the air from side to side quit and the fan motor kicks out and restarts every few seconds so time to take it in. Dealer tells my wife this morning there is a "investigative fee" for each different problem along with anything the 3rd party wont cover. So we look up this 3rd party warranty since we are waiting and there seems to be a few, ALOT, of issues with them. So you purchase an extended warranty from the same dealer and since they were in bed with a piece of shit 3rd party warranty company, they didn't mention this when we were buying, you have to pay for there mistake! Now they are talking $50 for the fan "investigation", $100 to $150 for the HVAC diverter "investigation", and who knows what else.

I know don't jump on me Extended Warranty's are seldom worth what you pay for them but my wife wanted it for peace of mind when we are on the road. If she's not happy neither am I so we did. I have just never heard of this! Isn't this the reason to buy one?:hmm:

JRoc

Speaking of ethics I just came from our local jeep dealer. We purchased a new 2011 Grand Cherokee from them and bought the extended warranty with the vanishing deductible. Have had 0 issues but I knew from the noisy fan motor it would need to be looked at sooner or later. Well last week the cabin diverter part that directs the air from side to side quit and the fan motor kicks out and restarts every few seconds so time to take it in. Dealer tells my wife this morning there is a "investigative fee" for each different problem along with anything the 3rd party wont cover. So we look up this 3rd party warranty since we are waiting and there seems to be a few, ALOT, of issues with them. So you purchase an extended warranty from the same dealer and since they were in bed with a piece of shit 3rd party warranty company, they didn't mention this when we were buying, you have to pay for there mistake! Now they are talking $50 for the fan "investigation", $100 to $150 for the HVAC diverter "investigation", and who knows what else.

I know don't jump on me Extended Warranty's are seldom worth what you pay for them but my wife wanted it for peace of mind when we are on the road. If she's not happy neither am I so we did. I have just never heard of this! Isn't this the reason to buy one?:hmm:

Stupid question...factory warranty on your vehicle should have been a 3/36 full and a 5/60K powertrain. Are you still within the 3/36? If so, all "investigative" costs should be covered under the manufacturer warranty. In regards to your extended "warranty," there should have been a clear and concise breakdown of coverage and deductibles outlined to you prior to your acceptance of this product. A.) An Extended Service Agreement, should NEVER be disclosed to you as a WARRANTY. One cannot purchase a WARRANTY, however you can purchase a program offering you protection against the failure of components. B.) Your coverages/fees are legally expected to be presented to you at the time of purchase. C.) Some ESA's can require "investigative" costs, however, most reputable ones will not. In addition to, most dealers will not charge "investigative" costs in order to remain competitive in their market. I would investigate your original purchase agreement and read carefully all inclusions/exclusions in your paperwork; AND, if it is an option to you, look into a different dealer/shop to have your work performed. You may be able to negotiate those costs if a dealer is hungry enough to earn your service business.

I hope this helps.

jims68

We are just out of manufactures warranty 42xxx miles. That actual paperwork does call it an Extended Warranty. It did break down all covered and not covered with a breakdown of coverages for each area like HVAC, fan, heater core etc., etc.. I had never heard of this investigative charge before! Thanks for the explanation.

jims68

Oh and no where in the contract does it talk about any investigative charge just deductibles, and we have the rider for no deductible.

JRoc

Oh and no where in the contract does it talk about any investigative charge just deductibles, and we have the rider for no deductible.

I would highly question the integrity of the dealership in this instance. Part of the agreement between a dealership and a 3rd party ESA includes inspection costs...again, normally. I know that we do not charge our guests for inspections, becuase obviously the ESA pays the dealer, just like a normal consumer. This sounds like a service department trying to take advantage of you and I would suggest looking into other options. Is the "warranty" backed by the dealer or is it through a company other than the dealer itself? With my auto group, whom I work for we utilize Fidelity for our ESA's and such. The are a very reputable company and, though it's not 100%, people are generally quite pleased with the level of service they receive. If you are not satisfied with the package that you purchased, you should have the option to return "it" to the dealer and receive a pro-rated portion of your money back. For example, express to them that you wish to cancel this product and they should refund to you the difference of what you had paid vs what you have used.

Good luck!

jims68

I would highly question the integrity of the dealership in this instance. Part of the agreement between a dealership and a 3rd party ESA includes inspection costs...again, normally. I know that we do not charge our guests for inspections, becuase obviously the ESA pays the dealer, just like a normal consumer. This sounds like a service department trying to take advantage of you and I would suggest looking into other options. Is the "warranty" backed by the dealer or is it through a company other than the dealer itself? With my auto group, whom I work for we utilize Fidelity for our ESA's and such. The are a very reputable company and, though it's not 100%, people are generally quite pleased with the level of service they receive. If you are not satisfied with the package that you purchased, you should have the option to return "it" to the dealer and receive a pro-rated portion of your money back. For example, express to them that you wish to cancel this product and they should refund to you the difference of what you had paid vs what you have used.

Good luck!

Thanks JRoc this is very helpful. My wife finally picked her jeep up. They diagnosed the problems and are ordering the parts. Nobody said a word about the fees so maybe it wont happen. We will see after the work is done. Usually they will tell you what it is going to cost before ordering parts, so I am guessing it was called into the ESA and approved. I still want to ask them about what they were telling my wife when she dropped it off. This should be a pleasant experience but I have had a bad experience when buying this rig also, but that is another story. Maybe it is a hint when the service writer makes the comment "You have never had this vehicle in for anything but oil changes.". Next nearest dealers are 100 miles pretty much every direction so kind of leaves a guy stuck!

Thanks!!!!

Top Bottom