In need of d44

kyle521

Im looking to keep the budget below 2000, so any shipping would mean that the housing or axle is cheap as shipping will come out of the budget

kyle521

I can get a new rubicon housing for $980, thats my best bet as of now, cant seem to find any used housings around.

Last edited:

swampdog

I can get a new rubicon housing for $980, thats my best bet as of now, cant seem to find any used housings around. Then build it with arb locker and 5.13s, the price will probably be north of 2500 but less than 3 grand. The front d44 is 35 spline correct?

The Rubi front is 30 splines I believe. Rubi rear is 32.

kyle521

so I found one here for $2100. I tried another source and they say the axle is back ordered. So Im waiting for a response
http://www.moparamerica.com/oe-mopar/p5153825ag

Also, has anyone noticed the new heavy duty housing?

from the mopar parts catalog:
Heavy-Duty Rubicon Dana 44 Tm
Front Axle Housing
This heavy-duty axle housing is a direct replacement for your Rubicon
front axle. This housing features thicker wall tubes and improved bending
strength over stock. This is a bare housing, ready to accept the gears,
locker and shafts from your housing.
P/N P5160036 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$995.00

http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/performance/catalog/JeepPerformancePartsCatalog.pdf

WJCO

Meme King
so I found one here for $2100. I tried another source and they say the axle is back ordered. So Im waiting for a response

Front Axle Housing
P/N P5160036 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$995.00

http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/performance/catalog/JeepPerformancePartsCatalog.pdf

If that's the same housing they've always had for sale, I remember it being not much more special than an OEM rubicon axle. Plus, I couldn't even found it mentioned if it were built in the USA with quality steel.

I think your 2000 dollar budget is going to be a short fall. If you're 'upgrading' the axle, why settle for less just to match that price point. It's not like LED lights or trim pieces where money can be lost and not regretted...an axle is a big deal of a mod. I would recommend fix the D30 or buy a really nice 44 so you don't just keep throwing money at the cheaper one down the road. I think it's going to be hard to piece one together for 2k unless you find a used rubicon complete with the proper gears.

kyle521

If that's the same housing they've always had for sale, I remember it being not much more special than an OEM rubicon axle. Plus, I couldn't even found it mentioned if it were built in the USA with quality steel.

I think your 2000 dollar budget is going to be a short fall. If you're 'upgrading' the axle, why settle for less just to match that price point. It's not like LED lights or trim pieces where money can be lost and not regretted...an axle is a big deal of a mod. I would recommend fix the D30 or buy a really nice 44 so you don't just keep throwing money at the cheaper one down the road. I think it's going to be hard to piece one together for 2k unless you find a used rubicon complete with the proper gears.

I was just curious as a month ago it was not on the mopar performance catalog, or at least I did not see it.

As far a the 2000 price point, 2k is more of a goal, realistically if I want it fixed with a 44 front it will be close to $2400-$2600 low end vs fixing my 30 front which close to $800.

kyle521

So the factory dana 44 fronts are off of national back order. Still trying to decide on a final decision here. Im assuming I dont need a master overhaul kit as everything is brand new inside, I can just simply purchase some 5.13 gears for it and a basic $80 install kit that comes with

• Pinion Seal
• Shims
• Crush Sleeve
• Pinion Nut
• Ring Gear Bolts
• Marking Compound

So when all said and done. Im looking at $2500 plus tax, plus another $350 for ring and pinion with install kit. So 2,850 before installation price, which I can probably get it done for under $300 if I do some work myself.
Then for the future, factoring in the price of an axle truss which is another $140- I can get welding done for free.
So it looks like I am looking at around $3,300 before any discounts I can get plus tax

Does anyone know of ways to possibly get a cheaper price than the $2500 for the axle from the dealer?

Also, I have an 07, when I snapped one of my axle shafts, I tried to replace it with one from a 2012. The ends of the shaft (where the ujoint attaches to) were thicker than my stock ones (2007), and were rubbing on my steering knuckles. I am thinking I might have this same issue when I swap over my knuckles to the dana 44.

Pricing out a prorock Im at $4,780 and might still have the same issue with my steering knuckles, and thats with the stock yoke.
A currie is right at $4450
Teraflex is in the middle.
So if I go this route, it looks like I will go for a prorock, But its hard to throw 30% of what I paid for the entire jeep itself for a 44 front.

Im planning the install for the month of December

Last edited:

JKRicky

Honestly, for a bit more you can have a fully built prorock 44. Then you don't need to mess with a truss and what not. Just my opinion.

WJCO

Meme King
Honestly, for a bit more you can have a fully built prorock 44. Then you don't need to mess with a truss and what not. Just my opinion.

Not just your opinion. 3 others have already told him that too. Lol.

Edit: Make that 4.

jkwebbie

If you're gonna do Super duty axles in a year, then just buy another 30. Your an idiot to buy a Rubicon axle if you're just gonna replace it in a year. Its not worth it

kyle521

If you're gonna do Super duty axles in a year, then just buy another 30. Your an idiot to buy a Rubicon axle if you're just gonna replace it in a year. Its not worth it

If I drop the coin for a 44, the super duty project will be pushed back until something severe breaks

jkwebbie

If I drop the coin for a 44, the super duty project will be pushed back until something severe breaks

I hear ya, but I would just fix the 30 if you're going to tons later. Doesn't make sense to me to spend $3000-4000 on an axle you won't be using down the road...

kyle521

bump, back on the market for a front axle. Mostly looking at whats out there for used options. Edited the original post to reflect that.

Andy5160

Hooked
I don't think they will let you order the stock front end in anything greater than a 4.10 based on the linked Mopar pamphlet...which is why I will be looking for a cheaper takeoff 44 to have 4.88 installed in or keep saving and just do the PR44

Nothing to add
Well put!

The Cock Father

bump, back on the market for a front axle. Mostly looking at whats out there for used options. Edited the original post to reflect that.

I have a complete set of 2016 Rubicon axles that have been regeared to 4.88. Also sleeves and C gussets.

3000 miles total and 2k on new gears.

Great condition and $2000 in upgrades...

Eezybreezy08

Front Axle Housing

This is what I did. I know it's frowned upon but it's all I could afford. Pr 44 just cost to much for me. But they are the best for sure

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom