In the market for a Rubicon

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I finally gave up my TJ a year and a half ago to one of my kids so I could temporarily downsize some bills, as I started my business and he needed wheels. I also own a project CJ-8, that isn’t in running condition, yet. So I have been driving a boring Ford Fusion. A couple of weeks ago I was rear ended, and I’m waiting on the check from the other guy’s insurance company. So, I’m moving right past the eye rolling from the blonde in my life (she doesn’t get my love of Jeeps) and looking for a JLU Rubicon. Wish me luck finding one that won’t break my bank and won’t give me issues after I buy it. ☘️

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I should note that I’ll be looking for a used one. The crazy price jumps from Jeep the past few years just aren’t warranted, imo. I’ve already started finding some for good prices in and near Philadelphia, but I can’t pull the trigger until I get the settlement for my car.

Upvote 0

NPC 6060⁸42

I know you said used but theres some great deals out there on new Gladiators. Place I got mine Faulkner in Mechanicsburg Pa just sent me an email they are at 24% below MSRP.

Upvote 0

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Bankruptcy!
Bankster! That’s it!

My 11yo grandson loves it, too. I was a little sad that he thought it was a complete improvement over the TJ, but glad he was into this new one. It has a few things I wouldn’t have opted for, like the one touch roof. And it has the steel bumper (I probably would have scoured the US made manufacturers for one, but the OEM one is fine), 8.4” screen, and is a six speed manual (I was OK with getting an automatic for my wife to be able to drive it, but she convinced me to move on this one).

This will be a slow build. I already have Scrambled Egg, my ‘82 Scrambler, to build. I’m poised to move on it with getting the body off and starting to cut and weld.

Upvote 0

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Two observations about the JLU Vs TJ six speed manuals

I miss the low end torque of the 4.0. The 3.6 is a great engine for riding long distances, is quiet, and far smoother than the straight six. But, you knew it was hard to find a way to stall in first gear while taking off, between the torque wanting to move the Jeep forward, and the sound letting you know you had an engine ready to go. And I miss the feel of the clutch in the TJ. Yes, it needed more pressure from the left leg to depress it, but with the torque, you could feel when the Jeep was going to move. Maybe it’s just me needing to get used to it.

And there was enough space to rest your leg in the TJ. The footwell was a bit larger in the TJ than the JLU.

My wife will actually ride shotgun in the JLU because it doesn’t have the 4.0. And I’m still super stoked about having it.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom