Install Quote - Does this seem fair?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Can't travel, unable to install it yourself. :hmm: sounds like your only option is negotiate on labor.

I suggest that you don’t start the negotiation with, “I can’t travel to a competing shop, and I’m unable to install these parts myself, so can you give me a break on labor?” [emoji23]🤣

Torrin

I suggest that you don’t start the negotiation with, “I can’t travel to a competing shop, and I’m unable to install these parts myself, so can you give me a break on labor?” [emoji23]🤣

Naaah, I have already tried negotiating with him, he keeps justifying the hours and it sort of made me think "I am wrong here, does it really take that long for this stuff?" I will not do a bad deal, I do not HAVE to upgrade it, I just hate looking at a stock Jeep. I bought it to build it. I pinged Exodus and I will take a shot at this guy in Houston tomorrow. Frankly the hours sort of p1ss me off, seems way over the top and that is not the way I want to do business. I told him that when I was there. I want him to make money on this, but I want to eat chicken salad with him, not have filet mignon on me.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Not to be a dick, but the price you were quoted is totally fair. I know that goes against what everyone else here has said, but consider the fact that you’re unwilling or unable to participate, the value is whatever you’re willing to pay. The fact is that you want a built Jeep and you want to buy it. That’s totally fine! Obviously, you have the means to do so, so throw the guy a bone and let him have a filet on you. Just make sure he does quality work. In the end, your happiness will determine whether is was a value or not. Good Luck!

Torrin

Not to be a dick, but the price you were quoted is totally fair. I know that goes against what everyone else here has said, but consider the fact that you’re unwilling or unable to participate, the value is whatever you’re willing to pay. The fact is that you want a built Jeep and you want to buy it. That’s totally fine! Obviously, you have the means to do so, so throw the guy a bone and let him have a filet on you. Just make sure he does quality work. In the end, your happiness will determine whether is was a value or not. Good Luck!

My ability to participate in the build should not impact whether it takes 4 hours to install a lift that is quoted at 11 hours, or 4 hours quoted to wire up a light controller that might take 2 hours. Your logic and statement seem awfully harsh and unwarranted, but this is the internet and that seems to be the way it goes sometime. If you are saying all of the labor hour estimates make complete and absolute sense to you, that is one thing, but punishing me because the Jeep is out of town and I can't do the work myself is mostly just mean.

Ddays

Hooked
My ability to participate in the build should not impact whether it takes 4 hours to install a lift that is quoted at 11 hours, or 4 hours quoted to wire up a light controller that might take 2 hours. Your logic and statement seem awfully harsh and unwarranted, but this is the internet and that seems to be the way it goes sometime. If you are saying all of the labor hour estimates make complete and absolute sense to you, that is one thing, but punishing me because the Jeep is out of town and I can't do the work myself is mostly just mean.

That's all well and good, but also remember, he doesn't HAVE to do the work on your Jeep either. Customizing vehicles can be a really tricky deal for these guys too because he's gotta stand behind his work and take into account that you may be back for adjustments that you will probably expect for him to do for free. Remember he's gotta eat too and this is an estimate, not a bill. He may come in under the estimate too.

Having said all that, I'd certainly give Exodus a shot. 2.5 hour drive is a cheap investment for quality work.

Seahawkfan

Hooked

Looks good! Go for it ! Is this nice enough? :naw: Like most have said you could do a few of these mods yourself even in a motel parking lot. Good Luck.

Torrin

That's all well and good, but also remember, he doesn't HAVE to do the work on your Jeep either. Customizing vehicles can be a really tricky deal for these guys too because he's gotta stand behind his work and take into account that you may be back for adjustments that you will probably expect for him to do for free. Remember he's gotta eat too and this is an estimate, not a bill. He may come in under the estimate too.

Having said all that, I'd certainly give Exodus a shot. 2.5 hour drive is a cheap investment for quality work.

This ^^^^^^. If Exodus is only 2.5 hours away I’d be there in a heartbeat. Give him a chance anyway. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I reached out, but he is booked until the end of September and I would like it done in August (as the Jeep will be sitting for almost 4 weeks anyway), he recommended a shop in Houston though, I would ask them. If it does not pan out, i will get a full quote from Exodus next month.

fiend

Caught the Bug
On my own Jeep, I have done pretty much everything you want to be done to yours. With a couple of exceptions, I’d say it took me about the time quoted in your estimate. But I was on my back in my driveway, with consumer quality tools and sometimes improvising when I didn’t have the correct tool. Could have done things more quickly with a lift and a full set of shop tools. I think your guy’s time estimates may be a little inflated, but not grossly so. Bottom line is that, if you’re going to pay someone to do the work, it’s going to add a lot to the overall cost. Presumably, you’re also buying a commitment to fix any post-install problems at no cost. Having a guy hundreds of miles away do the work makes that benefit impractical or nonexistent.

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug

Sorry that you found my comments sharp and I’m not trying to be mean. The facts are that you’re adding 20k in parts and you’ve been quoted about 25% (5.5k) for the labor. Do the hours seem a bit high? To me that would be a yes because, I have the means and equipment to perform the work. Therefore, the labor holds less value. In your case the labor holds more value due to your situation. I know it’s a bitter pill, but consider this: You’ve spent some time working out the details with this local shop that you feel will do a good job and will be there to support you after the sale. That right there holds value. Now you mention that the labor seems high by maybe 10hrs? Ok, but you’re spending around 26k and quibbling over $1000? Seems petty when you look at the big picture.

Or, I can comment that the labor seems high, id reconsider those parts and find a different shop or better yet, do the work yourself - like everyone else.

You decide which comment you like better.

Torrin

Sorry that you found my comments sharp and I’m not trying to be mean. The facts are that you’re adding 20k in parts and you’ve been quoted about 25% (5.5k) for the labor. Do the hours seem a bit high? To me that would be a yes because, I have the means and equipment to perform the work. Therefore, the labor holds less value. In your case the labor holds more value due to your situation. I know it’s a bitter pill, but consider this: You’ve spent some time working out the details with this local shop that you feel will do a good job and will be there to support you after the sale. That right there holds value. Now you mention that the labor seems high by maybe 10hrs? Ok, but you’re spending around 26k and quibbling over $1000? Seems petty when you look at the big picture.

Or, I can comment that the labor seems high, id reconsider those parts and find a different shop or better yet, do the work yourself - like everyone else.

You decide which comment you like better.

Fair enough, the tone of the last post read to me that you thought I deserved to dramatically over pay because I wouldn't do it myself. good point on $1000 on a $26k build, as that is like 4% of the total build price. Thanks for the input.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My opinion is that’s it’s not outrageous. Sure maybe a couple things are a little high but wouldn’t you rather the estimate be higher than invoice or would you rather be charged an extra grand than they quoted you? For the most part it doesn’t seem crazy when you factor in warranty and all that jazz. But as others have mentioned, do it yourself and save the money. Do it over some time. Get familiar with your rig. Are you gonna wheel it? Who’s gonna fix it on the trail?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'll echo what many have said, some of the install times are outrageous. The per hour is close to average. My shop charges 105 per hour. To give you some examples of overcharging:

Mount and balance 4.5 hours-(Discount Tire charges like $40 bucks a tire for lifetime I am pretty sure)
Rear bumper 8.0 hours-I did mine in 3 with a buddy and shop would have billed me for 2 hours
Front bumper 5.0 hours-Two hours for mine and an extra hour to run the winch wires because I didn't think it through. Shop quoted me 2-3 hours
Also, powdercoat seems high. I did my bumper and tire carrier for $200

Guys, struggling with a big upgrade on my 2017 JKU Sport. I have a shop that I think can do a really good job, but the quote seems high to me and I would like some feedback from you all. Please, oh please do not tell me all the different parts you would use to what I have quoted, I arrived at my parts decision for a bunch of reason and while I respect other opinions, this is likely the way I am going.

Synergy Stage 2 3" front/2" Rear with adjustable control arms, drag link flip, and geometry correction, remove front trackbar mount, leveling kit (Short arm) - $2,205
Fox Racing 2.0 Shocks - $560
Installation - 11.5 hours

Nitto Trail Grapples 37" x 5 - $1,850
ATX Slaps - $1,875
Mount/Balance 4.75 hours(!)
Powder Coat Beauty rings 5x$30 - $150

Teraflex Extreme Tire Carrier - $699
Installation - 2 hours

Dynatrack Trail Leader Package - $6,4991 (plus $250 shipping)
Front Axle Install - 3.6 hours
Rear Axle upgrade/gears/locker install - 5 hours

Adams 1310CV front and rear shafts - $975
Install - . .75 hours (includes replacing the transfer case yokes)

MCE Fenders - $753
Instsall 3.5 hours (includes trimming and reinstalling inner fender liner)

Shrock Works Front/Rear Bumper (midwidth) - $1,645
Install - 5 Hours (includes vacuum pump relo)

Genright Steel Sliders - $999
Powder Coat - $300
Install - 8 hours

Switch Pro 9100 Module - $549
Install - 4 hours

All of the prices for parts are list or better (mostly list). The hours seem super high to me, but I have never done a lift anywhere this extensive. I am interested in paying the guy a fair price for the install, but the shop rate is $110, so 10 extra hours is significant.

Input please.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
5k to install 20k in parts..... 48hrs in labor is probably adding some cushion... Has to pay employees, shop expenses, leg work.. make a living, etc... Was he highly recommended? Does he put out quality work? Does that include a follow up once over.... I say get a second estimate and go from there. 25k is a lot of dough to most.... but most here would spread that out over months/years and save thousands by doing it in their driveway, shop for deals or find used parts. Your jeep will be done and ready to roll in a week. If you have the cash.... go for it.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I'm gonna confirm with the consensus here . While some of those hours do seem a bit inflated they aren't off by much... remember this is just a estimate after all and the end result may come in below it .. estimate usually accounts for any unforeseen issue that .ay arise during things overall and will cause it to take longer than projected ..
Like others I would swap that terraflex carrier (went with the evo hinged myself roughly same cost ) ...

But then like others I wouldn't just go with the first quote either shop a little even if your not gonna use shop a doesnt mean you cant fet a estimate from them ... ... the main thing to consider is since you dont want to do things yourself is how much are you as a consumer willing to pay someone to do them for you ?

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'll echo what many have said, some of the install times are outrageous. The per hour is close to average. My shop charges 105 per hour. To give you some examples of overcharging:

Mount and balance 4.5 hours-(Discount Tire charges like $40 bucks a tire for lifetime I am pretty sure)
Rear bumper 8.0 hours-I did mine in 3 with a buddy and shop would have billed me for 2 hours
Front bumper 5.0 hours-Two hours for mine and an extra hour to run the winch wires because I didn't think it through. Shop quoted me 2-3 hours

Ever mount a set of Slabs? DT here won’t even touch them. He also said 5 hours to do both bumpers.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked

Ever mount a set of Slabs? DT here won’t even touch them. He also said 5 hours to do both bumpers.

Top Bottom