Installed Our Evo Rock Skins. :)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'm quoting my own post from the knuckles thread, hope it works.

And a little FYI to those about to do this or skins, this nutsert tool is worth its weight in gold. View attachment 17921

The nutsert tool in the pic is the best I have used. Pretty sure MTG got it off Amazon. Having a throw similar to bolt cutters made it far easier to properly seat the nutserts. Literally, I could set five in the time it took me to set one with the right angle tools. The fact that it didn't break was a plus too, since I have broken more than a couple of the right angle style tools. Seriously, this tool made installing nutserts enjoyable.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok I think you guys sold me on getting the skins now and not waiting till after I put my sliders on. So I know I need a nursert tool, what else is needed for a proper install?

Sent from my iPhone

onbelay

I'm quoting my own post from the knuckles thread, hope it works.

The nutsert tool in the pic is the best I have used. Pretty sure MTG got it off Amazon. Having a throw similar to bolt cutters made it far easier to properly seat the nutserts. Literally, I could set five in the time it took me to set one with the right angle tools. The fact that it didn't break was a plus too, since I have broken more than a couple of the right angle style tools. Seriously, this tool made installing nutserts enjoyable.

We used a competing brand, but same idea:

1943408_300.jpg

Even took video of using it, if anyone is interested.

onbelay

Ok I think you guys sold me on getting the skins now and not waiting till after I put my sliders on. So I know I need a nursert tool, what else is needed for a proper install?

Sent from my iPhone

Depending on which sliders you get, installing these *afterwards* might be a huge PITA! Highly recommend installing the skins first. BTW if you plan to install a snorkel the requires removing the right front fender ... then do that before installing the rock skins.

onbelay

A step bit for your drill is helpful, as are several large clamps.

^^^ X2.

The clamps were clutch. Big time. Once we had them clamped up, we center-punched the holes. Then we took a black Sharpie fine-tip marker and traced the edge of each hole. That way, we could visually see if the drill bit was travelling while drilling the final 3/8" hole (with the skins removed of course). Even with a good center punch and pilot hole, it is possible for the drill to travel. Don't ask me how I know ...

Never heard of a step bit; perhaps that would have saved us even more time haha!

BTW there wasn't enough room for a few of the nutserts to fit between both layers of sheet metal. In these cases, we had to drill through both sheets.

One more tip: you don't need to use a nutsert for the front wheel well. There is enough room to slide a nut back there and bolt into it directly. If you want to practice crimping a nutsert before actually doing it on the Jeep, this is one way to free up 2 of them. :)

-Dawn

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Depending on which sliders you get, installing these *afterwards* might be a huge PITA! Highly recommend installing the skins first. BTW if you plan to install a snorkel the requires removing the right front fender ... then do that before installing the rock skins.

I have the evo sliders on order with the step out/angled out design paychex has

Sent from my iPhone

MTG

Caught the Bug
Anyone have a line on a good nutsert tool? The ones on Amazon have mediocre reviews (they seem to break easily) and the big boy professional ones cost a fortune.

I bought the one on Amazon, I think Astro was the brand. It's red in color. There is one review on Amazon where the guy said he had nothing but trouble with it. I cannot stress enough how opposite that review is with our (Sharkey and myself) experience. I think I paid $60 ish for it. :thumb:

Edit: Looks like that issue was covered already.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I bought the one on Amazon, I think Astro was the brand. It's red in color. There is one review on Amazon where the guy said he had nothing but trouble with it. I cannot stress enough how opposite that review is with our (Sharkey and myself) experience. I think I paid $60 ish for it. :thumb:

Edit: Looks like that issue was covered already.

So it has metal handles and won't snap the third time I use it? I was told to buy a Marson but it's $185 and I'd rather not spend that kind of money on a tool I will use twice.

Is this the tool?
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...8&qid=1371773842&sr=8-1&keywords=nutsert+tool

The first review is a Jeeper that claimed it snapped after 10 rivets.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So it has metal handles and won't snap the third time I use it? I was told to buy a Marson but it's $185 and I'd rather not spend that kind of money on a tool I will use twice.

Is this the tool?
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...8&qid=1371773842&sr=8-1&keywords=nutsert+tool

The first review is a Jeeper that claimed it snapped after 10 rivets.

That's the one. Price has gone up a bit. We put in however many there are fore the skins (40 something?) and a few more for lights. Not sure what the other guy did. :idontknow:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

JK12

For the tool and nutserts do you just clamp it then tighten it again till its completely crushed?

Top Bottom