Installing U-Joints

JK's JK

Banned
And there's no shame in any of this! I would say to find a friendly and mechanically inclined friend to help you who doesn't ming teaching as you go along. You'll never learn by paying a pro to do it for you. If you don't care to learn it, that's fine too.

BUT I will say that your knowledge level is what you make of it. I taught myself everything I know from those early 90's old s10 and YJ service manuals we all had to use before the WWW. Pain in the ass compared to all the video and color manuals available on the internet now! Apply yourself and in 3,4,5 years from now you'll laugh at how little you once knew and proud of how far you've come :yup:

I appreciate your vote of confidence StrizzyChris. I truly do. :rock:

However I was being facetious/ flippant and mostly towards Lee.

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
I posted this over at the pictures thread.

I'm super pissed off. So I went over to Tom's (BONDSY) house today to get the U-Joints pressed in. So we started with pressing out the old U-Joint and sure enough these joints caps are crap. Just look at the F**king pictures. So we started with the other axle shaft to press in the other U-Joint. He said he's never had such issues with U-Joints ever. He said the spicer compared to these new U-Joints that Alloy USA are now selling are wider which is making it super tight which we could not get the Full c-clip in. We both were afraid to crack another cap. I'm just going to drop them off at 4 wheel parts and let them dick around with them. Then he said if I would have bought them through Northridge4x4 they would have been put together for me. Wish I could go back!!!!! :doh::doh:

This is what happened when they got pressed out!!!!!:mad:
DSC01915.JPG DSC01916.JPG DSC01917.JPG

jeeeep

Hooked
He said the spicer compared to these new U-Joints that Alloy USA are now selling are wider

I'm confused, are these Spicer or Alloy u-joints and which is wider?

I coat the inside of the shaft ears with a little grease and only time I've had a u-joint bind is if a bearing needle fell out while pressing it in but can knock it back out ok.

maybe they sent you the wrong u-joint?

JK's JK

Banned
We held up the Alloy USA U-joint cap compared to the spicer cap and its a difference between the two. The new U-joints are wider, not by much but they are.

They sent me the right U-joints.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
We held up the Alloy USA U-joint cap compared to the spicer cap and its a difference between the two. The new U-joints are wider, not by much but they are.

you're trying to install Spicer? what's the casting stamp on them?

JK's JK

Banned
you're trying to install Spicer? what's the casting stamp on them?

There the Alloy USA U-joints there now selling 16525.08. Alloy USA use to sell spicer. I'm just going to have someone else have the headache and press them in for me and I'm going to buy spicer U-joints for backup.

jeeeep

Hooked
you may just want to get the Spicer joints and be done with it. I'm thinking if the Alloys are that tight and the shop gets them in, the failure possibility goes up and getting them out will not be fun...just my thought process.

If you get the Spicer for a spare- 4WP kept giving me the wrong (right u-joint before Spicer discontinued it) u-joint but not the most recent casting. take a look at what I found out - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14588-front-axle-shaft-u-joint-part-numbers

JK's JK

Banned
you may just want to get the Spicer joints and be done with it. I'm thinking if the Alloys are that tight and the shop gets them in, the failure possibility goes up and getting them out will not be fun...just my thought process.

If you get the Spicer for a spare- 4WP kept giving me the wrong (right u-joint before Spicer discontinued it) u-joint but not the most recent casting. take a look at what I found out - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14588-front-axle-shaft-u-joint-part-numbers

Yeah I'm not going to stock there U-joints on my rig. You've got a point, if they do install them is there micro fractures?? The first picture the cap came off way to easy. Tom could not believe it did that, he's pressed in and out multiple times the spicer and hand no issue.

Top Bottom