Insurance claims

jeeper52

LOSER
Im also interested in this. Did anyone have to specify that they will be using their vehicle for offroad use to insure they were covered offroad? If vehicle insurance is anything like health insurance you basically have insurance to cover insurance.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Im also interested in this. Did anyone have to specify that they will be using their vehicle for offroad use to insure they were covered offroad? If vehicle insurance is anything like health insurance you basically have insurance to cover insurance.

Thank you for a reasonable question. You do not have to specify when you sign up for insurance that you will be using it off road. There are no "off road" exclusions. Usually, your vehicle will be covered anywhere in the United States and its territories. But leave the country, let's say Mexico, you might not have coverage.

You do not need to buy supplemental insurance since there are no Federal programs that exist for first party property insurance, such as Comprehensive or Collision coverage. The cost of the insurance is derived from the VIN of the vehicle and then through the use of actuarial tables, they calculate the cost to insure that vehicle. The incident rate and costs for off road accidents is pretty low, since the speeds are usually pretty low for crawling and dirt roads. When you get up to much higher speeds on Freeways, then the damages really increase, thus the increase in premiums. You really are not paying that much more, if anything, for driving off road.

So the underwriters who figure out how much to price the coverage are counting on everything being based on a single event, a "Loss", that is sudden and accidental. If you go out and wreck your vehicle overtime, it will be obvious to the adjuster. There is no insurance for trail damage over time, only each event, which entails a single deductible for each event.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for a reasonable question. You do not have to specify when you sign up for insurance that you will be using it off road. There are no "off road" exclusions. Usually, your vehicle will be covered anywhere in the United States and its territories. But leave the country, let's say Mexico, you might not have coverage.

You do not need to buy supplemental insurance since there are no Federal programs that exist for first party property insurance, such as Comprehensive or Collision coverage. The cost of the insurance is derived from the VIN of the vehicle and then through the use of actuarial tables, they calculate the cost to insure that vehicle. The incident rate and costs for off road accidents is pretty low, since the speeds are usually pretty low for crawling and dirt roads. When you get up to much higher speeds on Freeways, then the damages really increase, thus the increase in premiums. You really are not paying that much more, if anything, for driving off road.

So the underwriters who figure out how much to price the coverage are counting on everything being based on a single event, a "Loss", that is sudden and accidental. If you go out and wreck your vehicle overtime, it will be obvious to the adjuster. There is no insurance for trail damage over time, only each event, which entails a single deductible for each event.

Finally a very helpful answer.

rogerk93

Thank you for that answer.

jeeper52

LOSER

Yep makes perfect since thank you!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
When we moved we shopped around for home insurance as well as vehicle insurance. I was up front with the guy about the jeep and also asked about the add ons. I believe most insurance companies will only pay out the value of a vehicle if totaled or the cost to fix it which may not include aftermarket parts. Though you may be able to argue a case, I don't know as Ive never been in a wreck causing damage needing to file an insurance claim. Knock on wood. LOL. I asked about the coverage of the add ons and while I did not have the receipts with me, the guy looked up the cost of all of the add ons I had at the time and added them to my policy. My monthly premiums went up but not that much and now they all should be covered no matter what happens. Also, anytime I add anything I can go in and tell him and he can add it to the policy. Of course the premiums go up accordingly.

mo0s3

Well said sir !

Ddays

Hooked
When we moved we shopped around for home insurance as well as vehicle insurance. I was up front with the guy about the jeep and also asked about the add ons. I believe most insurance companies will only pay out the value of a vehicle if totaled or the cost to fix it which may not include aftermarket parts. Though you may be able to argue a case, I don't know as Ive never been in a wreck causing damage needing to file an insurance claim. Knock on wood. LOL. I asked about the coverage of the add ons and while I did not have the receipts with me, the guy looked up the cost of all of the add ons I had at the time and added them to my policy. My monthly premiums went up but not that much and now they all should be covered no matter what happens. Also, anytime I add anything I can go in and tell him and he can add it to the policy. Of course the premiums go up accordingly.

I was in an accident last September and on top of the stock parts that were replaced, all of the aftermarket parts I installed that were damaged were covered by my regular insurance as well. On the way home from said accident my first stop was at my agent's office to check on coverage because I was worried. He said nothing to worry about, it's all covered. I provided the collision center all of receipts from my purchases and took them some catalogs and they didn't have any issues with replacement.

james2003w

I just lifted mine, and my agent saw it was "sitting higher". He said as much as he understands that I don't want to raise my premiums, if the vehicle was ever lost/stolen or labeled as a complete loss I would not be receiving the dollar amount to cover the add ons unless they were aware of them. I gave him the total cost of the bill (after labor) and my premium raised $5/mo.

Treat your Insurance Agent like you treat your Dealership when you have a warranty. You want their help, work with them and keep up that friendly relationship. You don't have to wine and dine them, but keeping them in the loop will help in the long run.

Top Bottom