Insurance for Aftermarket Jeep Accessories/Parts

rogerk93

I had State Farm who told me the same thing to keep my receipts and it will all be covered, after my accident I had last year most of the aftermarket parts was not covered even with receipts they gave me such a hard time, fought it for about 6 months and still wouldn’t cover all of the aftermarket stuff. They pick and choose what they feel like covering and there is no winning with them. Statefarm had by far the worse customer service and actually didn’t giving a shit for my situation. Since then I switched to progressive who told me the same story of just keeping my receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Liam&Jess

I had State Farm who told me the same thing to keep my receipts and it will all be covered, after my accident I had last year most of the aftermarket parts was not covered even with receipts they gave me such a hard time, fought it for about 6 months and still wouldn’t cover all of the aftermarket stuff. They pick and choose what they feel like covering and there is no winning with them. Statefarm had by far the worse customer service and actually didn’t giving a shit for my situation. Since then I switched to progressive who told me the same story of just keeping my receipts.

Oh geez, hope they are not like Statefarm

jesse3638

Hooked
When I had Statefarm I was told the same. Fortunately I never had a claim on the Jeep so I have no experience there. Sucks you were told one thing only to find out it didn't play out as expected. I've since switched to Mercury and need to inquire with them as to their policy.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I also have State Farm and surprisingly have had zero issues with them. I was in the middle of upgrading Gruff 1.0 when I had a collision 2 weeks after I installed my Pro Rock axles. State Farm never batted an eye in replacing everything. They bought a new bumper, winch, lights, etc, etc without any receipts. I just gave them catalog pages showing the pricing. I had already planned on a new bumper and a bunch of other shit at the time this happened so I ended up selling all of the new parts and that helped pay for a lot of the upgraded parts. :thumb:

24.jpg

25.jpg

I-Eat-Mud

I have farmers, and I was able to add 10k in value to the Jeep without many questions asked. That was the max also. It raised my monthly cost by I think 5 dollars.

desertrunner

I want to revive / continue discussion on this thread after spending 2 frustrating weeks unsuccessfully getting insurance I am confident in for the hemi swap jeep I bought from Brute.
I understand that it's about a 50/50 shot on if just having receipts is going to work with cases proven in this thread.
I have tried to use as much of the correct insurance buzz words to try and work with an underwriter to get specific things written into a policy and so far the only one I made any headway with was Farmers. Farmers has a vehicle customization line item that you can add to their policy up to 10k. But the agent I was in the office with said the underwriter can write it all the way up to 50k and it would just take a higher level of approval. My issue with farmers is to insure the 3 vehicles we have including the new hemi jeep with only the 10k add on, the policy was going to be $200 more PER MONTH than I am paying with USAA. at that rate i might as well take the gamble on receipts.
I haven't found an agent that has access to a chubb auto policy which is frustrating and the only "rider" anyone can explain to me is on home owners insurance so the second I mention engine or axles they say they can't help.

So I'm asking again in hopes of more ammo to fight this with, for those with engine and high dollar axle swaps how do you have insurance to cover them and what magic words did you say that can get me talking to the right person?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I want to revive / continue discussion on this thread after spending 2 frustrating weeks unsuccessfully getting insurance I am confident in for the hemi swap jeep I bought from Brute.
I understand that it's about a 50/50 shot on if just having receipts is going to work with cases proven in this thread.
I have tried to use as much of the correct insurance buzz words to try and work with an underwriter to get specific things written into a policy and so far the only one I made any headway with was Farmers. Farmers has a vehicle customization line item that you can add to their policy up to 10k. But the agent I was in the office with said the underwriter can write it all the way up to 50k and it would just take a higher level of approval. My issue with farmers is to insure the 3 vehicles we have including the new hemi jeep with only the 10k add on, the policy was going to be $200 more PER MONTH than I am paying with USAA. at that rate i might as well take the gamble on receipts.
I haven't found an agent that has access to a chubb auto policy which is frustrating and the only "rider" anyone can explain to me is on home owners insurance so the second I mention engine or axles they say they can't help.

So I'm asking again in hopes of more ammo to fight this with, for those with engine and high dollar axle swaps how do you have insurance to cover them and what magic words did you say that can get me talking to the right person?

I called mine a while back and they said they would cover an additional $1,000 in aftermarket parts and I would need to include receipts. Anything over $1,000 would need approval and my rates would Skyrocket.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Think about it this way. The insurance company needs to know in advance the risk they are taking, so they can price the policy. They assume the Jeep is not modified, and price accordingly. When the time comes, why should they cover a bunch of mods they weren’t told about and weren’t being paid to cover? If you want coverage for a specific value, you need to go to a specialty insurer, like Hagerty. And, expect to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

Think about it this way. The insurance company needs to know in advance the risk they are taking, so they can price the policy. They assume the Jeep is not modified, and price accordingly. When the time comes, why should they cover a bunch of mods they weren’t told about and weren’t being paid to cover? If you want coverage for a specific value, you need to go to a specialty insurer, like Hagerty. And, expect to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Totally get that, but every time I ask anyone about covering anything above and beyond what the stock Jeep is they say they can't cover it. They can't or won't write in the specific engine or axles. And all of the custom vehicle policies like hagerty won't cover it because it's my "primary vehicle" or driven more than 5k miles a year.

That's why I'm at a loss. I have heard of plenty people on here saying they sent in pictures and receipts to add to their policy, raising their policy by $50/ month and I can't get anyone to do that for me. Idk if I'm not saying the right words to get me to someone who knows what to write but I'm at my wits end.

I am willing to pay extra premium to cover the vehicle sure but I'm talking about a jeep here that is worth maybe in the 50k range (20ish k more than stock) and the only people who I have found that will write vehicle modifications into a policy are going to charge me 3 times more than any vehicle I have ever owned even a 50k F150.

I'm pretty stumped because all of my google reading makes it sound easy to add things like an engine swap and I'm 2 weeks deep in failure

Bierpower

Hooked
Totally get that, but every time I ask anyone about covering anything above and beyond what the stock Jeep is they say they can't cover it. They can't or won't write in the specific engine or axles. And all of the custom vehicle policies like hagerty won't cover it because it's my "primary vehicle" or driven more than 5k miles a year.

That's why I'm at a loss. I have heard of plenty people on here saying they sent in pictures and receipts to add to their policy, raising their policy by $50/ month and I can't get anyone to do that for me. Idk if I'm not saying the right words to get me to someone who knows what to write but I'm at my wits end.

I am willing to pay extra premium to cover the vehicle sure but I'm talking about a jeep here that is worth maybe in the 50k range (20ish k more than stock) and the only people who I have found that will write vehicle modifications into a policy are going to charge me 3 times more than any vehicle I have ever owned even a 50k F150.

I'm pretty stumped because all of my google reading makes it sound easy to add things like an engine swap and I'm 2 weeks deep in failure

Your USAA policy has a provision for aftermarket accessories. Mine was $5000 in aftermarket they would cover. That obviously didn't cover the engine swap so I was still out some but you may be able to bump that value up through USAA. I haven't had a reason to dig into it yet on the new jeep.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

My insurance just told me they need to send an adjuster out to make sure the value is correct. Then I pay for it.

Who do you have insurance through?
Your USAA policy has a provision for aftermarket accessories. Mine was $5000 in aftermarket they would cover. That obviously didn't cover the engine swap so I was still out some but you may be able to bump that value up through USAA. I haven't had a reason to dig into it yet on the new jeep.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
Haha I have tried probably 5 different times with USAA trying all different ways to get them to insure even my current policy on my 2dr for more than the extra 5k and ha e been unsuccessful.

This is really 2 fold because obviously if it gets wrecked I want to get payed for what it's worth but also in my endless googling I have heard a few stories of people in at fault accidents that had their insurance agencies void their policy because of an engine swap making them 100% out of pocket for the accident.

I just for some reason am having a very hard time getting an insurance agency to appraise it like overlander said or write anything different into the policy. And the level of mixed experiences here leads me to believe its a bit of a gamble unless I can find anyone who will get an underwriter to add the modifications. Minus farmers but you'd think I'm insuring a Lambo for what they quoted me.

desertrunner

Don't get me wrong USAA hasn't up to this point given me any reason not to believe they will take care of me. Even when I hydro locked my 08 Rubi I took it to a 4x4 shop in CO and they paid what he quoted with 0 issues so in the event of an accident I feel like I could take it to a place that does AEV builds to get the quote and they would honor it. May loose a bit in a total loss though.
I would just sleep better at night knowing I'm paying a premium for what I'm actually driving and not just hoping receipts work if shit happens.

Top Bottom