Involved In An Accident Yesterday, Best Way to Proceed?

That's exactly what I did I unfortunately did not unfold the paper copy of his ins card as I assumed it was all on the one side. I took pics of all his stuff including his vehicle as well. I should have read the registration closer and asked about that and possibly got the contact info for the RO.

Yeah its $500. I actually just reduced my deductible from $2K when we purchased our Durango thank goodness. A reckless driving ticket does wonders to premiums and was looking to save as much monthly as I could...:crazyeyes:

If u don't mind me asking who is your insurance through? As we both live in California and i have had two people hit my vehicles, i could give u some insight on what to expect and what to do as i had the same scenario as u.

Ddays

Hooked
If u don't mind me asking who is your insurance through? As we both live in California and i have had two people hit my vehicles, i could give u some insight on what to expect and what to do as i had the same scenario as u.

Excellent! Looks like the punctuation classes are going well. :thumb:

jesse3638

Hooked
LOL, Yeah and also the fucking annoying 'u' when everything else is spelled out, but hey, we're making progress here!

I developed that bad habit when texting to save characters, #<160. Then it carried into my e-mail composition at work. Fortunately in e-mail I got the red squiggly underline so I was able to correct it. That is when I realized I had a real problem. Its been a battle but I'm slowly coming around and regaining the use of "you". The struggle is real, U :doh:...you guys just don't understand...:crazyeyes:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I developed that bad habit when texting to save characters, #<160. Then it carried into my e-mail composition at work. Fortunately in e-mail I got the red squiggly underline so I was able to correct it. That is when I realized I had a real problem. Its been a battle but I'm slowly coming around and regaining the use of "you". The struggle is real, U :doh:...you guys just don't understand...:crazyeyes:

Put the bottle down... back away from the keyboard slowly....

Ddays

Hooked

:cheesy:

Its funny how the texting vernacular has crept into every other form of communication. Hell, we even have a damn emoji movie :shock:

jesse3638

Hooked
:cheesy:

Its funny how the texting vernacular has crept into every other form of communication. Hell, we even have a damn emoji movie :shock:

Vernacular, now there is a word only one other person I know uses..haha. Yeah my thoughts exactly. When people walk around a say "WTF" instead of "What the Fuck!" its getting carried away.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I was contacted by the responsible person yesterday inquiring as to what is going to happen. I'm assuming his insurance had shared the news that they would not be covering him. After speaking with my insurance on how to respond if at all, I simply replied that I had turned it over to the insurance company and was letting them take care of things. I received no response from him.

PeterL

Jesse - you've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. I'd like to add that, there's a protection called "UIM/UM" or underinsured/uninsured motorist. As the name implies, it's coverage for this exact type of thing. If you have comprehensive coverage, its most likely available, but take a second look at your policy. If you are leasing or financing your vehicle, you most likely have comprehensive
Insurance, and some sort of UIM coverage available. If so, check your UIM coverage amounts. They are usually low, well below the value of your vehicle. Consider asking how much it would cost to add/raise the coverage amount of your UIM to equal the fair market value of your vehicle. You may be surprised at how little it adds to your total premium, while adding tremendous coverage. Coverage and laws vary widely from state to state, so YMMV. About 12 percent of drivers are not insured. So if you get in an accident, there's a one in eight chance that they won't have insurance.

(Stands on soapbox)
Also, to anyone else reading this far, ALWAYS PAY YOUR DEDUCTIBLE. Why? Because your insurance company has no binding incentive to indemnify your loss unless you file a claim. Paying your deductible is part and parcel to filing a claim. Many people fear that their rates will rise if they make a claim and use their policy. Reading the fine print on your policy, your rates are always subject to change. If you have paid your premium loyally for years, GET YOUR MONEY BACK and make your insurance company work for you. Make them use their lawyers and their resources. I mean, you've already paid your premiums! Make your insurance company earn your loyalty! Another reason that people don't make a claim/pay their deductible is when they feel that the accident is 100% the other persons fault. As a matter of principle, they feel they shouldn't pay a dime because it wasn't their fault. Yes. You are correct. But insuring yourself isn't about principle, it's about getting your vehicle repaired properly. I've seen time and time again, people cutting off their nose to spite their face on principle, and getting hosed by the other persons insurance company.

Getting back to your scenario. Yes it's 100% the other person's fault, and you have already filed a claim with your insurance company, stick with your current plan. Take your vehicle to YOUR repair shop of YOUR choosing and DO NOT accept the vehicle back unless the repair is done to YOUR COMPLETE 100% satisfaction. Insurance companies get away with MURDER because they know that most policyholders do not know or understand the process, and what they are entitled to as a policy holder. DO NOT speak to the other person, DO NOT speak to anyone from the other insurance company. If you are contacted, continue to refer them to your insurance company. Do not accept any deals or cash offerings in any way. DO NOT use the other persons repair shop, DO NOT accept cash in lieu of repair.

(Steps off soapbox)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Jesse - you've gotten a lot of good advice on this thread. I'd like to add that, there's a protection called "UIM/UM" or underinsured/uninsured motorist. As the name implies, it's coverage for this exact type of thing. If you have comprehensive coverage, its most likely available, but take a second look at your policy. If you are leasing or financing your vehicle, you most likely have comprehensive
Insurance, and some sort of UIM coverage available. If so, check your UIM coverage amounts. They are usually low, well below the value of your vehicle. Consider asking how much it would cost to add/raise the coverage amount of your UIM to equal the fair market value of your vehicle. You may be surprised at how little it adds to your total premium, while adding tremendous coverage. Coverage and laws vary widely from state to state, so YMMV. About 12 percent of drivers are not insured. So if you get in an accident, there's a one in eight chance that they won't have insurance.

(Stands on soapbox)
Also, to anyone else reading this far, ALWAYS PAY YOUR DEDUCTIBLE. Why? Because your insurance company has no binding incentive to indemnify your loss unless you file a claim. Paying your deductible is part and parcel to filing a claim. Many people fear that their rates will rise if they make a claim and use their policy. Reading the fine print on your policy, your rates are always subject to change. If you have paid your premium loyally for years, GET YOUR MONEY BACK and make your insurance company work for you. Make them use their lawyers and their resources. I mean, you've already paid your premiums! Make your insurance company earn your loyalty! Another reason that people don't make a claim/pay their deductible is when they feel that the accident is 100% the other persons fault. As a matter of principle, they feel they shouldn't pay a dime because it wasn't their fault. Yes. You are correct. But insuring yourself isn't about principle, it's about getting your vehicle repaired properly. I've seen time and time again, people cutting off their nose to spite their face on principle, and getting hosed by the other persons insurance company.

Getting back to your scenario. Yes it's 100% the other person's fault, and you have already filed a claim with your insurance company, stick with your current plan. Take your vehicle to YOUR repair shop of YOUR choosing and DO NOT accept the vehicle back unless the repair is done to YOUR COMPLETE 100% satisfaction. Insurance companies get away with MURDER because they know that most policyholders do not know or understand the process, and what they are entitled to as a policy holder. DO NOT speak to the other person, DO NOT speak to anyone from the other insurance company. If you are contacted, continue to refer them to your insurance company. Do not accept any deals or cash offerings in any way. DO NOT use the other persons repair shop, DO NOT accept cash in lieu of repair.

(Steps off soapbox)

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. That is additional good advice. I do have UIM but for injury only. I recently dropped property as the truck is 11yo and fair market value is low. Murphy's law right..haha. I've got my estimate and my insurance cut me a check less my deductible. Now to get it fixed.

Sahara_Maverick

Good advice about working through your insurance.
I was involved in an accident also a few years ago. Guy driving a Hertz rental hit my car. I called the police and asked for a report.
Then went to Hertz, who tried to walk away saying it was the driver's responsibility. Turns out, the guy was uninsured. So, how does Hertz rent a car to someone non insured and at least demands insurance?
My insurance company stepped in and Hertz not just gave me a car to drive while mine was being fixed and also paid for everything.
Took a while (I believe a few months) between my insurance company and Hertz's lawyers to sort everything out. But by then my car was already fixed and even my deductible paid for (either by Hertz or the driver) and reimbursed to me. And my rate did not go up for that.
It usually goes up anyway for all the different reasons here in WA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom