Is a Jack a Jack or do I buy Hi Lift??

badassbrass

And don't forget.... Hi lift are not for mech., it is to tilt your jeep when on rocks or stuff when you pan...or to shim it..... But if you are not into rough trail and never have to lift/tilt for "get out of trouble" i guess you don't even need one.....

From Québec

Coach Doug

I am currently in the market for one as well as a winch. picture this, a tale from a buddy of mine.. sliding down a hill forward and got wedged up against a tree with no traction.. he had to run his winch underneath his carriage to a tree behind him and damaged his fairlead and some other components. yes, he could have had a movable winch but that adds a significant cost. otherwise a hi lift jack would have worked to pull him backwards up the hill... another scenario, you're in some really rough terrain or extreme rock conditions and you need to replace a tire, would a bottle jack work as well as a hi lift? I truly have no experience with either I'm just looking at this from a common sense standpoint and what I've read on the forums. I would never try to use a hi lift jack on the highway to replace a tire that's what the scissor jack is for, however it seems to me with a couple links of chain, strap, and a hi lift jack you can pretty much get yourself out of any situation out on the trail. please, point out the flaws of my logic I want to have the best setup for getting myself out of trouble. I'm a new Jeep owner and don't have a lot of experience in really heavy situations.

Last edited:

Rccrwlr

If you're gonna get one, get a Hi-Lift. Having said that, I own 3 but try hard NOT to use them. Hi-Lifts have a place and can be a very useful tool but for MOST applications, a good bottle jack will do the job better and safer. Of course, that's just my opinion.

so where do you keep your bottle jack?

I hate to divert the thread, but since there already has been with the bottle jacks... I was wondering what everyone's real-world experiences are with the exhaust bag type jack like the one shown below. I have been considering them because I like the larger foot-print and ability to use multiple ways. I haven't pulled the trigger on a jack yet because I have been wavering on the options. but here are my pros-cons when thinking about jacks for the Jeep. For now I just use the scissor-jack and boards... (and hope to not need them).

Hi-Lift (type)
Extended lift range and optional uses such as winching. Very dangerous to use. They are heavy and large.

Bottle Jack
Small, lots of lift options. some leak when stored sideways. Best placement is under the axle so your gonna get dirty using it... Might need to carry boards to increase footprint.

Stock-Jack with Raised base (Like the AEV one)
This seems as good an option as a Bottle Jack but no-one seems to do it... :thinking:

Air-Bag Jack
Large Footprint, Easy Storage, Lots of lift options, could roll out and cause vehicle stop on unstable ground.

To be honest I don't see a clear winner, but rather a selection of preference. This said, I might not be seeing everything or aspect fully.

exhaust-jack.jpg

http://www.discountramps.com/exhaus...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIvzpZz39bcCFapcMgodiCAA1Q

Hightower

If you're gonna get one, get a Hi-Lift. Having said that, I own 3 but try hard NOT to use them. Hi-Lifts have a place and can be a very useful tool but for MOST applications, a good bottle jack will do the job better and safer. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I agree with Eddie 100% bottle jack over H/L! I have 2 myself the last time I even thought of using one was when i took it apart to use the handle as a snipe.

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I agree with Eddie 100% bottle jack over H/L! I have 2 myself the last time I even thought of using one was when i took it apart to use the handle as a snipe.

Driver driver GAS!
WAYALIFE mobile app

X's 3. I feel the same about hilifts as I do spring compressors. If used properly, both can do what they are supposed to do. If something goes wrong though, bad $--T can happen.

mrmet1983

I have the harbor freight 50$ special and it works just as good as my buddy's 100$ hi lift from quadratec so I'd say get the HF lift and call it a day just my opinion.

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

Liam&Jess

Question About Hi-Lift Jack

I bought a 48" hi-lift jack, and our rig has a 3" lift, do I need the 48' jack, or would the 42" jack work.
I ask because apparently my garage does not like getting nicked by the jack nor does the jack.
Any input is good input, thanks everyone!

WJCO

Meme King
I bought a 48" hi-lift jack, and our rig has a 3" lift, do I need the 48' jack, or would the 42" jack work.
I ask because apparently my garage does not like getting nicked by the jack nor does the jack.
Any input is good input, thanks everyone!

I moved your post here to this thread. Hopefully you can look through it and find your answer here or others can chime in. :thumb:

Brute

Hooked
You know......I've been just sitting here staring at the 6300 dollars just sitting on my desk and wondering which jack I should buy. I think I found my answer. Thanks, Ed!

Always happy to help out my fellow man...

But you have to admit...way cool...

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't buy a jack if it's not high lift they are known for a quality product. And yeah a bottle jack will be my next jack.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You know......I've been just sitting here staring at the 6300 dollars just sitting on my desk and wondering which jack I should buy. I think I found my answer. Thanks, Ed!

I have one better than that one and half the price. Send me the money first and then I'll send you the jack. [emoji16][emoji106]

Top Bottom