Is my tcase shot?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
...so.... replaced the tcase and I'm still getting the grinding sound in 4wd.

Is it possible that the noise is coming from the front driveshaft?

Is there a joint that can wear out?

Atch

...so.... replaced the tcase and I'm still getting the grinding sound in 4wd.

Is it possible that the noise is coming from the front driveshaft?

Is there a joint that can wear out?

Pull your front driveshaft and see if you still have the noise.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
The problem with pulling the front shaft is it only makes the noise under load. Once I let off the gas and coast, it doesn't make the noise. So if I drop the shaft, it might not make the noise bc the shaft was the problem or it doesn't make the noise because there isn't torque applied to the tcase with no shaft.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
The problem with pulling the front shaft is it only makes the noise under load. Once I let off the gas and coast, it doesn't make the noise. So if I drop the shaft, it might not make the noise bc the shaft was the problem or it doesn't make the noise because there isn't torque applied to the tcase with no shaft.

Have you checked the drive shafts atleast?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Yeah, the front driveshaft had some play in it. The boot is not tore. The joint where it mounts to the tcase had grease above on the heat shields.

I see they sell these kits. Is that likely to go bad?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388607592.903275.jpg

Raceplayhavefun

I have seen the joints go bad with very low mileage and low abuse levels. Makes a growling noise that transmits into the front end as well. If there is play in huge joint in a twisting motion, it is definitely bad. Before you throw more parts at it, check driveshaft joints, axle joints, and pull the diff cover off and check for broken teeth, especially on the pinion gear. Hard to see in there, but worth a look as checking things only costs you time and not $$$. A trick to see the pinion is to use your phone or a gopro and take a video while slowly turning the driveshaft. Then you can watch it and look for issues on your screen instead of trying to jam your head inside the diff.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
To close this thread out, it turned out to be the driveshaft The CV joint was bone dry. Replaced it with this kit.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390772485.749557.jpg

It's probably just a bandaid verse the true fix of throwing on an aftermarket shaft but the price was right. And the original did survive 124,000 miles.

After rolling in 2wd for the first 6 weeks of winter, it will be so nice to drive with confidence again.

Top Bottom