Is this for a WINCH?

lmswan9

JUst bought used 2020 4 door Wrangler mostly sight-unseen- from 4 1/2 hours away from where I live. Basically had time to drive there, sign papers, and drive it home
Are these bars in the front for a winch that is not there? Anyone have any ideas which one/kind/brand? I know nothing.

winchmaybe.jpeg

lmswan9

OOOOhhhhh- thank you! That's what the seller said the original owners did with it- lol. I just don't know anything about towing and motor homes.

THANK YOU!

Upvote 0

lmswan9

That’s not awesome news to find out about after the purchase.

Rolling with the transfer case in Neutral doesn’t add miles to the odometer.
Ohh- hm. The dealership must have put new tires on it though- cause the tires are perfect. And it is still under the powertrain warranty…
What else might I need to check out for unexpected wear and tear from it being towed?

Upvote 0
That’s not awesome news to find out about after the purchase.

Rolling with the transfer case in Neutral doesn’t add miles to the odometer.
Ohh- hm. The dealership must have put new tires on it though- cause the tires are perfect. And it is still under the powertrain warranty…
What else might I need to check out for unexpected wear and tear from it being towed?
@TonyT has a good point here. While it doesn't add miles to the odometer, it still is rolling and wearing all the rotating components on the Jeep like the wheel bearings, driveshaft, etc while it's being towed...

Upvote 0

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Being told you have warranty from the sales part of the deal, may be a different story when the service part of the house sees signs of being flat towed and alterations to the electrical system. In my experience with dealerships in my area since Chrysler's demise, warranty work is more about providing evidence it should be covered rather than customer satisfaction.

If you have no use for the tow-behind stuff, I would take it off asap. That electrical plug up front could be run all the way to the back and spliced into the rear lights.

Look for other stuff that may have been done too. Such as features disabled to co-exhist with being towed. Stuff like the ignition, vehicle key security, and battery modified. Just some thoughts, I have never flat towed myself.

For sure I'd have the differential and transfer case fluids not just replaced, but checked for signs of parts failure. (water, burning, etc)
Check all the suspension bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. Basically a full rundown as if you'd bought a high mileage vehicle.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom