Its that time of year fellas.....talk to me about snowblowers.

Armydog

My kids, grown and gone now, never shoveled anything but bullshit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Adam, these are from last year....

Wife's ride (snow tires made it a cinch to drive out)
BBF567DE-CAEA-4FD2-8420-ED4F5B57F42B_zpsjorwfzy0.jpg

Jeep
7D49FE51-AE2E-4113-83F4-F5FBF26C83CC_zpsa419wdqi.jpg

I think that storm was close to 22" in my town.

Definitely not looking to shovel. When we lived in the building, I could care less if we got plowed because both the Jeep and the CRV on snow tires had no problems driving through it, but now Im legally obligated to clean the entire sidewalk in front of my house, and don't want to spend my saturday mornings shoveling...plus my neighbor is a nice old lady that I would help out, but don't want to shovel THAT much. :cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

View attachment 103786

Jeep
View attachment 103787

Definitely not looking to shovel. When we lived in the building, I could care less if we got plowed because both the Jeep and the CRV on snow tires had no problems driving through it, but now Im legally obligated to clean the entire sidewalk in front of my house, and don't want to spend my saturday mornings shoveling...plus my neighbor is a nice old lady that I would help out, but don't want to shovel THAT much. :cheesy:

Yeah I wouldn't shovel that. That's also one of the reasons I moved away.

We had a big 16" Ariens when I moved away. Before that was a cub cadet. Both lasted close to ten years but the Ariens has lasted longer (still going).

CedarRaider

I run a toro. My drive is about 30 yards long and between 1 1/2 cars wide to 3 + wide. We had over 266 inches last year. I've never had a problem with it, it always starts. It doesn't always throw snow a long distance but it will definitely moves it.

Super T

Those are a definite must, like Armydog says, after hitting a chunk of ice or hard packed snow you'd be shearing a pin on the shaft....you wont throw any snow. Cheap easy fix most times with those. As for the belts, I have yet to change mine out, but when big snow storms hit up here and your one of the only people in the neighbourhood with a working snowblower and everyone elses belts are on back order from overworking... Its a good feeling. My word of advice is let the machine do the work at it's speed with no undue effort from you and you wont go wrong with an Arien.

kyro

View attachment 103786

Jeep
View attachment 103787

thats just a mad amount of snow to shovel. i would kill to live in it but i think after the 2 time of shoveling i'd be over it...but i still want to live in the snow some day;)

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have a cub cadet that was from my parents and its always been good, I think we sold another years ago to a guy we work with who sold it and bought it back and its never had an issue.

Im sure it all comes down to how well you take care of them tho.

rinkishjk

I also have a toro. It's old. It was my dad's. It's a 2 stage with electric start. I used it last year after it had sat for at least 5 years, changed the oil and it fired right up. Good thing with the way the winter went last year. I need to check it over for this season yet. It's a toro 419.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Oh boy, this hits home. Bought a lightly used Craftsman 28" two stage thrower a couple of months ago. We have a 200+ yard road to deal with to where our neighbor takes over. Don't want to put a plow on the JK or MJ. Took it for a spin last week without the blades turning. Three passes will clear enough road for at least one vehicle. Probably less than an hour of work. Now I've just got to work up the energy to go out in the weather and "git 'er done." So, to answer your question, any major brand, two stages and around 24" wide. Consider a headlight and heated grips. Best of luck!:thumb::thumb:

Take a road trip to Orange Park Florida and you can pick up a Craftsman snow blower there cheap. Why would they have a snow blower in Florida IDK but it was there.

I think a shovel would be your best bet. It is always there and requires no gas or maintenance and it can be operated by anyone of any age.

hogtyed

Take a road trip to Orange Park Florida and you can pick up a Craftsman snow blower there cheap. Why would they have a snow blower in Florida IDK but it was there.

I think a shovel would be your best bet. It is always there and requires no gas or maintenance and it can be operated by anyone of any age.

:cheesy: Some snowbird moved to Fla. & brought his snowblower with him? :cheesy:

scull20

I live in NJ, 19 miles outside the city. We got hammered last year but luckily I lived in a building and it was done for us. No way Im going to clean my driveway, walkway and sidewalk with a shovel.

We're neighbors...I'm in NNJ about the same distance out from NYC. Snow removal last year was hell without a snowblower. I picked up a free Simplicity Sno-away from a friend of mine...it's easily 40 years old but seems to run like a champ, so we'll see how it works this year. However, I'll still recommend Ariens, that's what I've used years prior and couldn't be happier.

You should do fine with getting a snow blower from Home Depot, however local power equipment places in the NNJ area will have higher quality models from the same manufacturers as your big box retailers. Yes, the prices will be higher, but if you can afford it, I would go for that route. Having a snow blower that's not being cooperative mid storm is equally if not more frustrating than not having one at all.

As far as spare parts, I would keep a handful of shear pins on hand. If you accidentally do battle with a newspaper covered in snow then you'll inevitably break a shear pin or two. They are easy enough to replace but always yield a "flurry" (Pun-Intended) of four-letter words when you don't have a spare on hand when you break one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom