Jam nuts

kevinp

Hello all,

I'm about to upgrade my rear suspension from a Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel set-up to the RK X Factor. Here's where I need advice. The jam nuts require 200 foot pounds of torque. Any tips on tightening a jam nut that tight without ruining the finish by using a vice?

Kevin

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using the Wayalife APP

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Get a big crescent wrench or the correct size open end wrench, a breaker bar and some steroids and go to town.

2RedRigs

Sometimes you have to get creative.

I tried this first but didn't work. Pine was too soft.
20140703_134301.jpg
Then tried this. Broke my Hi-Lift jack(POS)
20140703_170121.jpg
Then after selling a F-Body I had I came across some extra parts. One of those was lower control arm relocation brackets.
And started to run with that.
20140703_183557.jpg 20140703_183541.jpg

Then I tried to figure out how to lock down the brackets. I got 4 foot zinc rods that fit perfect in the holes.
20140703_191819.jpg

Then I had to add some weight to stop the one side from lifting. So I added 120 pounds worth of bowling balls and another 25 pounds of tools.
20140704_153528.jpg

I later figured out that putting a wheel and tire on the rods first then adding the 150+ pounds of bowling balls and tools allowed me to stand on the 24 inch crescent wrench with out any issues. This worked with all of the arms. I don't have a picture of the tire and bowling balls all on the rods but I think everyone gets what I did there.

Rebel JK

I would tighten with a wrench as much as possible, then throw a cheater on and retighten. Then tack weld it.
I wouldnt worry about the finish on the nut just about rounding it off with a sloppy wrench.

JKbrick

Why do all control arms have jamb nuts? Neither end can rotate when bolted in. I'm sure there is a reason I'm just not sure

jeffj

Caught the Bug
JKbrick said:
Why do all control arms have jamb nuts? Neither end can rotate when bolted in. I'm sure there is a reason I'm just not sure

It's to take the pressure off the threads.

Christarp

very slight play in the threads will eventually wear the threads out and strip them. Using a jam nut will help keep the threads pressed tightly against each other and remove that play.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
ORE used to sell these jamb nuts that you tighten with a Allen wrench. I don't know if they still carry them.

kevinp

I like the idea of using the extra brackets! I have tools to fit, it's just really hard to access some of them on the Jeep. I'll hit up Home Depot and see what I can come up with.

Kevin

2RedRigs

I like the idea of using the extra brackets! I have tools to fit, it's just really hard to access some of them on the Jeep. I'll hit up Home Depot and see what I can come up with.

Kevin

BTW you can almost throw out every starting measurement that RK put in the instructions. Do yourself a favor and pre-mount everything first before going through the troubles of torquing and red locktighting everything. The pinon angles weren't even close on my first try (2012 - 2 door) both front and back. :mad:

jeeeep

Hooked
i put my lift on got everything set, jam nuts as well as i could then put it on the ground and torqued the axle/frame bolts to specs...then I put the axle back up on jack stands to give me some room to get a 24" crescent and cheater bar on the jam nuts to make sure they were tight...I also used some red Loctite on them before getting the final torque on them

Top Bottom