Jeep Cherokee XJ Alternator recomendation to drive a 8724

Foley

Hi There,

well, I know basically my XJ is not "Old Iron Classic Jeeps", but I didnt found a topic where it would fit better. So I hope you can be so tolerant and its okay to let me ask a question about it.

Since a few years I building my 1997 from scratch to make it a capable offroader where you dont start crying when something breaks. A few of you know that I'm not from the USA - I'm from Germany. So every Jeep Parts a like gold because of shipping, just 3 or 4 dealers for whole Germany and the stupid monitoring authority who bring prices even more up while you cant bolt everything thats not approved on you jeep. Last count mostly for things that infect riding like suspension, tires, wheels, bumpers ... and so on.

So for my XY that would maybe cost around 7 or 8.000 USD in your country, I ve had to pay about 18.000€ to make it all street legal. Wherever, its much less than for my JK. So thats why I like my XJ - It dont hurt so much when it get a scratch or something because the price is just a tiny part of my JK. Even my JK is more capable, that's why I use my XJ for trophy's and other "competition" stuff.

After my last competition I noticed that my battery make enough power to fill my battery fast enough back. Its the stock 4.0 1997 alternator. So, dont ask me how much amps/hour this alternator is generating. But its time to upgrade it. Batterywise its on the low end with a 55Ah Yellow top, because there isn't enough room for a bigger one. Also there isn't enough for a spare battery. So the only thing I can do is to upgrade the alternator I think. Even the alternator starts slowly whining so its time anyway.

Do you guys have recommendations? Should be mostly the same stuff like on a 4.0 TJ. For my its very easy to buy at rockauto.com because the ship cheap and fast to Germany. But I'm open to very other source since RA have only alternators with 136ah.

The winch is a Warn 8274 witch is upgraded to two 6,8 engines. Yep - Know thats a fucking lot for this smal battery. Otherwise, I dont know what would happen if I would put some batterys in the back if the car. For this I really need big diameter wires. That's also not the ideal solution.

So you know my dilemma. Maybe you guys see a solution that I'm to dump to see. Would be nice if you could help me.

Greetings from Germany
Foley

jeeeep

Hooked
if the lookup is correct, the stock alternator is 60amp.

I've used Mean Green alternators in the past and really like them, I don't know what the exact rating is but they are high output somewhere between 140amp-200amp, reach out to them on their website:

Foley

Hi,

do you know where to get those? Hier in Germany we can get max. 130 amp. Thats a little less for my tast even if I planing to runn a double engine winch,

greetings

DaJudge

You can get a 160AMP (probably even a 200) for a WJ Grand Cherokee or a late 90s early 2000s Ram 1500 they work with a little grinding to the bracket. I have been running a 160 from a Ram 1500 for about 15 years.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hi,

do you know where to get those? Hier in Germany we can get max. 130 amp. Thats a little less for my tast even if I planing to runn a double engine winch,

greetings
I would contact them and see if they have any local resellers or if they ship to your area - they have a contact form on their website

Top Bottom