Jeep dogs!!!

Silver5665

Tala cruising topless at Castlewood Canyon.

Attachments

• 1370213639699.jpg
    1370213639699.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 911
  • 1370213653497.jpg
    1370213653497.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 896

Dave_g

Peggy Sue taking a break out on the trail.

12+-+2
Beautiful Aussie
:thumb:

jhires

Thought I'd share a couple more pics. One most recent since Emma has doubled in size and can now see out the window without a booster seat. :D

First trip out with the top off.
477004_10151435913398042_65426949_o.jpg

Last weekend.
992170_10151490179223042_1678292146_o.jpg

For reference, she has a harness that is attached to a chain, which in turn is attached to the center child seat anchor. After seeing a rollover accident here on the freeway where two puppies lost their lives because they weren't anchored in the car and got tossed out as the car went over, she gets latched in just like us every time she is with us.

Drayko88

Thought I'd share a couple more pics. One most recent since Emma has doubled in size and can now see out the window without a booster seat. :D

First trip out with the top off.
View attachment 33635

Last weekend.
View attachment 33636

For reference, she has a harness that is attached to a chain, which in turn is attached to the center child seat anchor. After seeing a rollover accident here on the freeway where two puppies lost their lives because they weren't anchored in the car and got tossed out as the car went over, she gets latched in just like us every time she is with us.

Beautiful pup. I like your idea with securing Emma to the child seat anchor. Didn't think of that. We always have bailey harnessed with the leash on in they jeep as well and are always holding onto him, but we have yet to find the best mounting point for the leash (tried the rollbar but I didn't really like it) I'm gonna try your idea next and see how he likes it

jhires

Beautiful pup. I like your idea with securing Emma to the child seat anchor. Didn't think of that. We always have bailey harnessed with the leash on in they jeep as well and are always holding onto him, but we have yet to find the best mounting point for the leash (tried the rollbar but I didn't really like it) I'm gonna try your idea next and see how he likes it

Thanks!
We took the handle off a normal chain leash so that it would still have the collar clip on it, then used a small metal clamp and large key ring to permanently secure the chain in the child anchor. It is just "there" all the time and doesn't get in the way when we have passengers. I also made it adjustable. If we are going to be driving around without the top and doors, I shorten it just a bit so she can't go beyond the edge of the seat. But if the doors are on, I give her a bit more room to poke her head out the windows. From the looks of the last picture, I think I may need to shorten it just a bit more :)

Drayko88

Thanks!
We took the handle off a normal chain leash so that it would still have the collar clip on it, then used a small metal clamp and large key ring to permanently secure the chain in the child anchor. It is just "there" all the time and doesn't get in the way when we have passengers. I also made it adjustable. If we are going to be driving around without the top and doors, I shorten it just a bit so she can't go beyond the edge of the seat. But if the doors are on, I give her a bit more room to poke her head out the windows. From the looks of the last picture, I think I may need to shorten it just a bit more :)

Wow. That's excellent. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try and put this together
: )

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Thanks man! She is the best dog I have ever had. Definitely a handful but I wouldnt change a thing!

SDG, you are right that Aussies are definitely a handful, and the best dog I ever had! ;)

Here is Sadie Jo all strapped in and ready to go. She wears her harness that we attach to the rear center seat belt with a carabiner. :thumb: Her friend Tessa gave us this great idea on keeping her safe on the trail! :yup:

5910_533375493392405_591504271_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_g

Here is my Aussie Piper

ForumRunner_20130603_091904.png

ForumRunner_20130603_091955.jpg

969800_648743871809709_1947959925_n.jpg

ForumRunner_20130603_092107.jpg

As long as we keep her stimulated she is the best dog you could ask for.

ninjaturtle13

Here is my Aussie Piper

View attachment 33660

View attachment 33661

View attachment 33662

View attachment 33663

As long as we keep her stimulated she is the best dog you could ask for.

I love the pics of the Aussies. My grandfather had one and she wasn't the same after he passed away. She always kept looking for him. Around a year after he passed away we found a tumor in abdomen and had to put her to sleep. She was around 14 or 15 and had a great life though. It was never a dull moment with her and she is by far the smartest dog we've ever had. She definitely needed lots of exercise and its awesome that I see your training yours for agility. I always wanted to try that.

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Great pics! I need a Jeep dog..... thinking an Australian Shepherd.

Definitely read a lot about them first. Aussies are a high energy, high attention dog. If my wife was not a stay-at-home mom we never could have made it through the baby stage.
They are very easy to train and you need to give them something to do or they will get themselves into trouble. We are actually looking for English as a Second Language classes for Sadie Jo because she knows all the words but she doesn’t know how to say them ... yet. :yup:
Also, Aussies make incredible watch dogs. Sadie Jo is always on alert looking out for her “flock”. This is a good and bad thing. At home she lets us know when there is the slightest noise out of the ordinary, but, on the road we are having trouble with her barking at people that are not part of our flock.

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
Great looking aussies Dave and Mcpuck.

I know what you are saying about being a good watch dog. Peggy Sue lets us know whenever something different is going on. Her biggest problem is that she is very slow to warm up to new people. When people she doesn't know come over to the house we make sure to keep her on a leash till they take a seat or she may nip them in the butt because they aren't in her flock. She doesn't nip hard but definitely enough to startle people.

We have taken her sheep hearding out In San Pasqual and that was a ton of fun. Its amazing how ballsey she can be too. They are very observant. Defenitly need a lot of people time though. I am lucky that my mom and gramma live nearby and watch her during the week as I usually work about 60 hrs a week at the moment.

cluelessJK

Definitely read a lot about them first. Aussies are a high energy, high attention dog. If my wife was not a stay-at-home mom we never could have made it through the baby stage.
They are very easy to train and you need to give them something to do or they will get themselves into trouble. We are actually looking for English as a Second Language classes for Sadie Jo because she knows all the words but she doesn’t know how to say them ... yet. :yup:
Also, Aussies make incredible watch dogs. Sadie Jo is always on alert looking out for her “flock”. This is a good and bad thing. At home she lets us know when there is the slightest noise out of the ordinary, but, on the road we are having trouble with her barking at people that are not part of our flock.

I have a border collie at home in Colorado and they are very similar, although I have never had any issues with the barking... Sweetest dog in the world and would do anything to please you. I'm thinking about getting another one actually!

jhires

I have a border collie at home in Colorado and they are very similar, although I have never had any issues with the barking... Sweetest dog in the world and would do anything to please you. I'm thinking about getting another one actually!

My wife and I had been considering a border collie for over a year. We held off for so long because we were worried that we wouldn't be able to keep up. But when Emma came up, we decided to risk it. So far she's been the perfect dog for us. She is absolutely the sweetest dog, and smartest. At four months we've had less problems with her than any other dog either of us have had. She's amazing around little kids and learns very fast.

ninjaturtle13

Our Aussie must have been the exception. She welcomed everyone into our house shaking her butt lol. We joked that if a robber ever came in and gave her a belly rub she'd show him around the house without a worry. She was amazing tho and we still miss her terribly.

cluelessJK

Yea, Aussies can be protective. Not all mind you, but instinctively they seem to be a little more aggressive than border collies are. At least from my experience and all of them that I've been around.

Top Bottom