Jeep stalled and won't turn over.

desertrunner

So 2 years back I did the same thing drove through a deep puddle too fast sucked water into the intake gas peddle mashed down and the thing came to a halt pretty quick. After I winched out of the water the thing wouldn't turn over just click click click with the electronics freaking out. Turns out in my case I totally cracked the engine block. Now doesn't sound like yours is that bad but if you can pull the plugs and try to turn over the engine to get the water out who knows but sounds like it's gonna need to be swapped out. My insurance company actually covered mine by some crazy round about way but they found a good working engine out of a jeep that was totaled and I had it swapped at an off road shop in town. The total cost was about 5G but like I said my insurance payed for it I did get an engine with only 15k on it which was nice since mine had 64k at the time

Jonny K's JK

2011 is still the 3.8 right? Friend did this to her 3.6 and you have to take the entire intake plenum off to pull the plugs. Your going to want to pull your plugs, remove oil filter, pull your oil pan right off, spray brake cleaner up there (not in cylinders but up through oil pan, visually inspect crank case) put oil pan back on, fill with ATF instead of oil and turn the crank (up front with the belt and pulleys, swing bar and 1-1/8" I think) it should spin all the way around with consistent resistance. If it's smooth then stiff, then smooth then stiff your gonna have a bad day. If it's smooth all the way around, give it several rotations. Drop your oil pan again, brake cleaner the hell out of it (wear goggles break cleaner burns your eyes) reinstall oil pan, fill with oil, try and turn engine over, if your lucky it will turn fine. Install spark plugs, fire up engine let it run for 1 minute, change oil and filter. Pray to Jeep gods. Did this to friends Jeep but she had a bent crank arm, (I also cleaned the hell out of everything when I took the intake plenum off) her Jeep was only 8 months old and the dealer couldn't figure out what caused it so they replaced the motor under warranty. We might have saved the engine if one of her friends didn't tell her to put it in gear and tow it backward to get the water out. 😁 Good luck man, never seen a happy ending to a hydro lock.

Top Bottom