JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I have to say, as much as I love it, I'm also saddened to see everyone and their mother have such easy access to trail maps like the kind that Gaia provides. Nobody has to work for anything anymore and I'm always shocked to see just how much has changed out there and in such a short amount of time.

You know Eddie, that’s a really good point. It’s a catch 22 I guess. With more and more people exploring the outdoors in general, I’m unfortunately running into a lot more morons and stupidity...jeeping, hiking, or whatever. The one advantage I have is I live in a great outdoors state that few people want to live in or visit. When people usually ask me how I like living here, I usually tell them it’s horrible, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Just had a friend tell me about a trail gps. It shows you trails in your area and if they are open. Also, it shows you state land, blm land, and national forest land. It’s called onX off-road.

buenavides1

I am currently using Magellan eXplorist TRX7 Off-Road GPS Navigation it has a large display and very easy to use. The RAM suction mount holds solid. I have had several GPS before but this one is so far my favorite. :beer:

MericaMade

Just had a friend tell me about a trail gps. It shows you trails in your area and if they are open. Also, it shows you state land, blm land, and national forest land. It’s called onX off-road.
I looking into that one but I don't think it allowed you import your own trails or other gpx files.

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I just use my phone. I don't need a GPS. IMO, they make you stupid. I have been reading paper maps since I was a kid. If Im going somewhere out of state in a particular area...I buy a good map like a Thomas Guide, for that area. And to Eddie's point....it is simply evolution man. Nothing good lasts. Just like taking short cuts...sooner or later everyone becomes hip to it. I don't tell anyone where I wheel either.

I just use my phone. I don't need a GPS. IMO, they make you stupid. I have been reading paper maps since I was a kid. If Im going somewhere out of state in a particular area...I buy a good map like a Thomas Guide, for that area. And to Eddie's point....it is simply evolution man. Nothing good lasts. Just like taking short cuts...sooner or later everyone becomes hip to it. I don't tell anyone where I wheel either.

Yea I totally hear you, there. I usually wheel blind folded and just use the feeling of the wind and the sun on my face to tell where I am. I also have never told a single person where I wheel and if they ask, I never speak to them again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, GPS is so stupid. Who likes to get to where they're going easily? Especially those places that aren't on paper maps. And all that interactive mumbo-jumbo? Who needs that shit. :rolleyes2:

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Yeah, GPS is so stupid. Who likes to get to where they're going easily? Especially those places that aren't on paper maps. And all that interactive mumbo-jumbo? Who needs that shit. :rolleyes2:

Evidently you do. 😂
Maps and good sense of direction have been used for thousands of years. GPS’ have only been available for consumers since the 90’s. And people have become increasingly worthless since.

Ddays

Hooked
Evidently you do. 😂
Maps and good sense of direction have been used for thousands of years. GPS’ have only been available for consumers since the 90’s. And people have become increasingly worthless since.

Right. People are worthless because we use GPS instead of maps. Good for you Meriwether Lewis.

Oh, wait, evidently so do you. Or is that a folded up map on your dash? :idontknow:

IMG_3414.jpg

Brute

Hooked
Airplane pilots & ship captains should stop using those useless things as well...go back to dead reckoning...

Unless you want more dead, I reckon...

Brute

Hooked
Yea I totally hear you, there. I usually wheel blind folded and just use the feeling of the wind and the sun on my face to tell where I am. I also have never told a single person where I wheel and if they ask, I never speak to them again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

If you want a really good read, I would suggest this book, HAWAIKI RISING: HŌKŪLE‘A, NAINOA THOMPSON, AND THE HAWAIIAN RENAISSANCE...it chronicles Nainoa Thompson and his efforts to revive the ancient Hawaiian method of seafaring using only stars, the rising sun and moon, prevalent wind and ocean currents. It is an amazing story, about an amazing man...I've had the good fortune to be on the Hokule'a during training runs on Oahu...and we support the Polynesian Voyaging Society.

Ddays

Hooked
If you want a really good read, I would suggest this book, HAWAIKI RISING: HŌKŪLE‘A, NAINOA THOMPSON, AND THE HAWAIIAN RENAISSANCE...it chronicles Nainoa Thompson and his efforts to revive the ancient Hawaiian method of seafaring using only stars, the rising sun and moon, prevalent wind and ocean currents. It is an amazing story, about an amazing man...I've had the good fortune to be on the Hokule'a during training runs on Oahu...and we support the Polynesian Voyaging Society.

But did they tell anyone where they went? :idontknow:

donmontalvo

New Garmin Overlander owner here

I tried Maprika, but macOS version hasn't been updated in 3+ years so I deleted it.

I tried Gaia GPS and onX and both are usable, but they're iOS apps that rely on cell towers (yes, I know, I have a Bad Elf in my console to pair to).

I decided to get a real GPS, and it came down to the Magellan TRX7 or the Garmin Overlander.

After a few minutes checking out the Magellan, I *ran* over to the Garmin section and bough the Garmin Overlander.

Its a solid device, easy to use, bright screen, and very durable, however it lacks one capability that I can't sort out.

Some of the local offroad trail parks provide PDFs of their trails, with the trails marked by difficulty rating (0-10 or green/blue/black/red).

Garmin Overlander doesn't seem to give you a way to import PDF maps, bummer...oh another annoyance is you have to format an SD card to use it.

Anyway, searching for the right forum for advice on how to do the above, please let me know if anyone here has this figured out.

BTW, CBBAR rocks!

Thanks,
Don

black pearl

Hooked
I tried Maprika, but macOS version hasn't been updated in 3+ years so I deleted it.

I tried Gaia GPS and onX and both are usable, but they're iOS apps that rely on cell towers (yes, I know, I have a Bad Elf in my console to pair to).

I decided to get a real GPS, and it came down to the Magellan TRX7 or the Garmin Overlander.

After a few minutes checking out the Magellan, I *ran* over to the Garmin section and bough the Garmin Overlander.

Its a solid device, easy to use, bright screen, and very durable, however it lacks one capability that I can't sort out.

Some of the local offroad trail parks provide PDFs of their trails, with the trails marked by difficulty rating (0-10 or green/blue/black/red).

Garmin Overlander doesn't seem to give you a way to import PDF maps, bummer...oh another annoyance is you have to format an SD card to use it.

Anyway, searching for the right forum for advice on how to do the above, please let me know if anyone here has this figured out.

BTW, CBBAR rocks!

Thanks,
Don

Can you go into Garmin base camp and fit pdf to it the load it in. I have a Montana 610, it says that’s a option (I haven’t actually messed with that part though).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom