Jeeping Across America - Wanderings Of The West

MTG

Caught the Bug
I had the slotted one with MOLLE crap on my last rig...this one if FAR FAR more useful when out on the trail, but that's just my opinion. Plenty of other places to keep MOLLE gear but you can't really chop veggies and grill anywhere else.

This is the one I've been planning to get. I've yet to find one that looks better. Good to hear you like it. :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So the place I've been wanting to go (but missing every time since I pass through Kansas at night) is Monument Rocks. This place is very cool. These "rocks" are basically like compressed chalk and they crumble and errode fairly quickly. The monument is technically on private land, but part of the deal for the buyers was that they must keep the monument open to the public at all times, and they do.

Now, remember when I said the sunrise was at 5:25am? I got there around 4:40 or so and was planning on catching every ounce of sunrise, but when I didn't see the sun even REMOTELY appear at 5:10 I realized what happened...I set my navi for Vegas time when I got there, and never changed it back...so the navi clock was an hour ahead. Oh well, amazingly, I had full AT&T LTE service so in the pitch black darkness with the wind howling like crazy, I watched a bunch of youtube waiting for the sun to show....and show it did.....(pardon the gratuitous jeep ad nature of some of these photos)

16562454505_9c39b53168_c.jpg

16536437816_db450647e9_c.jpg

16376151949_3f9b7096af_c.jpg

16374988648_007b465fbe_c.jpg

I didn't notice it when I pulled up because of the pitch black darkness, but there are 2 formations there.... 2.1 technically (you can see the single column remaining from a 3rd formation)

16375196370_8a9c20d94f_c.jpg

16375403950_3fe5f38f9f_c.jpg

16375398800_abbbba5459_c.jpg

16375274218_141b80af33_c.jpg

16561853131_5b6984952f_c.jpg

16537509516_824dab102f_c.jpg

16563537485_199d4cdde9_c.jpg

16397103489_1566ab8320_c.jpg

15960897624_5b832f377e_c.jpg

15960985314_7a3c1cfedc_c.jpg

View of the 1st formation from the second.

16583258635_b98d3287b0_b.jpg

16396330948_e6a448679e_c.jpg

15961406584_68204b26ed_c.jpg

16582862012_6b61f17d06_c.jpg

16583550615_a4768a15c1_c.jpg

15965403853_b0de0a53ae_c.jpg

15963022544_200fa96498_c.jpg

Quick note, those are NOT angel eyes. In fact, that part of the shrouds is gloss black but the sun is so strong in this pic that it makes it look like I have angel eyes, which I do NOT.

16397951608_db24cc1794_c.jpg

16431183048_1c964b044f_c.jpg

In front of the 2nd formation

16411145177_61012c6c0e_c.jpg

Looking back at the first....

16656018355_333c01d429_c.jpg

16036117973_65694ce465_c.jpg

The 2nd formation again

16656015885_1b7537d902_c.jpg

Continued.......

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Absolutely stellar set of shots there. As a hobbiest photog I'd love to hear a little about your gear.

Sure, all of the SLR shots you see were taken with a 16-35L 2.8. The body is a 1DsMKIII. My travel lenses are a 16-35, a 24-70, and a 70-200 (all 2.8). I use a gitzo carbon tripod and a manfrotto RC6 head. If there is anything specific you'd like to know, just ask. :thumb:

boardsurfer

Pretty much the holy trinity of lenses there. The sunrise through the arch is my fav. I'd put that on my wall any day. :)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well, after spending the entire morning shooting, it was time to head back.....

Much MUCH less scary during daylight...

IMG_5480_zps10fcca50.jpg

Scary trees no longer scary

IMG_5484_zpse6b763b9.jpg

This is something I haven't seen before on any vehicle, but I suspect the Jeep's barnlike aerodynamics have something to do with it......

As I was driving back down the i70 in Kansas, the crosswind became insane. The wind turbines were spinning like crazy and the jeep was literally being blown off the road at 70. Even at 65 (10mph BELOW the speedlimit) I had to actively countersteer the entire way...almost the entire state of Kansas...I countersteered for so long the computer thought the steering wheel was no longer centered and my traction control light went on as a result

IMG_5502_zps8a1c4353.jpg

Fortunately it went away later on when things calmed down.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed reading about some of my little adventures, and hopefully, I'll see you on the next one. Remember, life's a journey, take the dirt road.
38a68843-6599-4595-b85d-a7d55266684b_zpsl4lv6aop.jpg

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Oh, and here's the PSA I wanted to share.....

You've seen my Jeep in the above photos...a vehicle that's pretty well set up for winter driving right? So here is the PSA...if you ever drive down the highway in foul blizzard conditions, and you see a vehicle like mine going below the speed limit, there is probably a good reason for it, so do yourselves a favor and slow the hell down...watch the left side on the screen....recorded from my dashcam somewhere during a snow storm in ohio I think....

boardsurfer

Man, it just goes to show that the driver was completely at fault for something completely preventable. There was no traffic, nothing to swerve around. That driver probably thought there was no risk at all cruising down the road like that. And yet, there he was spinning around backwards on the interstate.

Driving a lifted jeep with big chunky tires I tend to stay extra aware of things like that. I know that my tires are absolutely terrible on hard snow packed roads.

el_chupo_

Thanks for sharing! The wife and I plan a 2 week trip from TX over to Arizona and up into southern Utah in a few months, and threads and pics like you have make me all the more excited.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Man, it just goes to show that the driver was completely at fault for something completely preventable. There was no traffic, nothing to swerve around. That driver probably thought there was no risk at all cruising down the road like that. And yet, there he was spinning around backwards on the interstate.

Driving a lifted jeep with big chunky tires I tend to stay extra aware of things like that. I know that my tires are absolutely terrible on hard snow packed roads.

Duratracs do very well in the snow, but since mine are so wide they don't like ice that much on concrete so I always drive very carefully. Pizza cutter duratracs would be unstoppable. The kid was 100% at fault, but lets hope he learned a very valuable lesson without hurting anyone.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Awesome photos! Thank you for sharing and contributing to my bucket list of places to visit :thumb:

Jackal01

Awesome trip! :rock:

What dash cam do you have? I have been in the market for a year...can't decide on one. :grayno:

HoosierWolf

Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar situation to your video last weekend. The roads IMO were not that bad by this point but some guy in a Suzuki Vitara (I think) blasted by me going at least 90. I could hear something on his vehicle whining as he flew by me. He caught some snow on the right side of the road. Fish tailed back in forth, flipped up on one rear wheel, slid out into my path while spinning. He straightened it out and accelerated down an exit ramp where my wife said he turn left through a red light without even braking.

I'm just really hoping he didn't hurt anyone else.

My wife was sleeping when the incident happened. Strangely she was awake the rest of the ride home.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Awesome trip! :rock:

What dash cam do you have? I have been in the market for a year...can't decide on one. :grayno:

With dash cams, it's mostly about the software, and IMHO, the best and easiest to use the Blackvue. There are a number of models, so check out which one works best for you.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ackvue.TRS0&_nkw=blackvue&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Don't judge video quality by my video. It was snowing hard, I had a wet/filthy windshield, and it was pitch black out. The video quality is actually quite stellar (and you can find plenty of examples on youtube.) Actually, now that I think of it, the video quality of my vid is actually pretty damn nice considering the circumstances. :D

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks for sharing.

I had a similar situation to your video last weekend. The roads IMO were not that bad by this point but some guy in a Suzuki Vitara (I think) blasted by me going at least 90. I could hear something on his vehicle whining as he flew by me. He caught some snow on the right side of the road. Fish tailed back in forth, flipped up on one rear wheel, slid out into my path while spinning. He straightened it out and accelerated down an exit ramp where my wife said he turn left through a red light without even braking.

I'm just really hoping he didn't hurt anyone else.

My wife was sleeping when the incident happened. Strangely she was awake the rest of the ride home.

Im very cautious when I drive in bad weather and think everyone on the road is a moron, ESPECIALLY 4WD/AWD drivers...they think they are invincible. I always try and keep away from everyone.

Jackal01

With dash cams, it's mostly about the software, and IMHO, the best and easiest to use the Blackvue. There are a number of models, so check out which one works best for you.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ackvue.TRS0&_nkw=blackvue&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Don't judge video quality by my video. It was snowing hard, I had a wet/filthy windshield, and it was pitch black out. The video quality is actually quite stellar (and you can find plenty of examples on youtube.) Actually, now that I think of it, the video quality of my vid is actually pretty damn nice considering the circumstances. :D

Looked heavily at BV. Which one are you running? I have literally looked at hundreds of cameras. I am positive I looked at yours.

boardsurfer

Duratracs do very well in the snow, but since mine are so wide they don't like ice that much on concrete so I always drive very carefully. Pizza cutter duratracs would be unstoppable. The kid was 100% at fault, but lets hope he learned a very valuable lesson without hurting anyone.

Exactly why I talked my girlfriend into putting them on her Unlimited. :thumb:

Flat Top

Thanks for sharing! Fantastic pics, I hope you don'y mind but I "borrowed" a couple for tablet wallpaper. :yup::yup:

Top Bottom