Jeeping with Young Kids?

jesse3638

Hooked
Bump.

Had to reference this thread! I’m looking forward to having our daughter on the trail with us [emoji16] she will be here in May so maybe at least one run before next winter!
Hey mine will be here in late May early June. She made in on the 2021 New Years run in Utero..haha.
Our kids (7 years and 9 years old now) have been going wheeling for a long time. My 9 year old’s first trip was at about a year old and then my sons first trip was just a few months old. My biggest advice in the JK is to install those rear seat spacers that tilt the rear seat back a little bit. When they’re sleeping and you’re going down a hill it helps with their little heads tilting forward. Sometimes my wife would get in the back when they were sleeping just to hold their heads to keep them from flopping forward. They love going now. It’s obviously not their first choice but they enjoy exploring. We just have to make sure to take breaks and let them get out and explore as they like roaming around.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Thanks for the advice on the seat spacers. I'll be getting them and the head cradle pad thing. My daughter was 5 (she just turned 14) when I got the jeep so I didn't really worry about all that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Colorado4x4

Hey mine will be here in late May early June. She made in on the 2021 New Years run in Utero..haha.Thanks for the advice on the seat spacers. I'll be getting them and the head cradle pad thing. My daughter was 5 (she just turned 14) when I got the jeep so I didn't really worry about all that.

They do help a little bit! Public wheeling safety announcement too. Last year we ran a trail up to a lake. Most in our group of 4 or 5 rigs have kids under 10 years old. One guy in our group driving his Lexus GX brought his 1 or 1.5 year old daughter along and she was having a good time. We spent our time at the little lake and decided it was time to head down the trail. Everyone quickly loaded their kids but this one guys daughter wasn’t accounted for. A Jeeper in our group was about to start rolling forward and my wife noticed that his daughter was standing right in front of his front tire! The Jeep driver had no idea so I started honking and screaming (he doesn’t have a ham radio) and my wife jumped out of my rig yelling and waving her arms so he wouldn’t roll forward. It was a near miss and I’m glad that she didn’t get run over, but to me that is the most dangerous part about having our kids out among all the rigs rolling around. Before we roll along we always do a radio check to make sure all children are accounted for. The dad of this child was fiddling around in his Lexus and not paying attention and didn’t know the whereabouts of his child and the Jeep driver was just doing his thing. It still makes my stomach sink just to think about it.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hey mine will be here in late May early June. She made in on the 2021 New Years run in Utero..haha.

That’s exciting! My wife couldn’t handle off-roading while pregnant. She kept getting sick.

They do help a little bit! Public wheeling safety announcement too. Last year we ran a trail up to a lake. Most in our group of 4 or 5 rigs have kids under 10 years old. One guy in our group driving his Lexus GX brought his 1 or 1.5 year old daughter along and she was having a good time. We spent our time at the little lake and decided it was time to head down the trail. Everyone quickly loaded their kids but this one guys daughter wasn’t accounted for. A Jeeper in our group was about to start rolling forward and my wife noticed that his daughter was standing right in front of his front tire! The Jeep driver had no idea so I started honking and screaming (he doesn’t have a ham radio) and my wife jumped out of my rig yelling and waving her arms so he wouldn’t roll forward. It was a near miss and I’m glad that she didn’t get run over, but to me that is the most dangerous part about having our kids out among all the rigs rolling around. Before we roll along we always do a radio check to make sure all children are accounted for. The dad of this child was fiddling around in his Lexus and not paying attention and didn’t know the whereabouts of his child and the Jeep driver was just doing his thing. It still makes my stomach sink just to think about it.

That’s scary! And thank you for the tip on the seat spacers

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
I brought my wife on a trail when she was 8 months pregnant with my son. I’ll just say she was happy to get out and spot.
I brought my son for the first time when he was around 1 1/2. It’s one of my favorite videos, seeing the smile on his face and hearing him laugh. I turned around early cuz I felt his head was bouncing too much. I started bringing my daughter on logging trails when she was around 6-8 months. She’s 1 1/2 now, so this spring I’ll take her to better trails. The kids love it.
I agree 100% on the rear seat recline. Just a piece of advice, if you want to buy the kit for however much it costs, be my guest. But all it takes is 4 washers on each floor mount and 2 washers on the slope wall mounts and you get the same recline. I can’t take credit for this hack... I believe I may have gotten it off this site. IMG_2224.jpg

Top Bottom