JK Fires

Trail Bud

Hooked
Transmission puking out ATF on the exhaust manifold or cats is one. Electrical is the other - more times than not, something like a winch line that chaffed through the insulator and grounds out. Seen both cause a fire but fortunately, we were able to put them out.

What he said. Happened to me, but got it out.

Turbo21

Funny how social media has a way of hyping things up and making a rule out of an exception. There are over 2-million JK's out on the road today - the odds of a couple catching on fire is about as probably as it is on any vehicle, just as you've pointed out.

I don’t know. When my Jeep caught fire I did a lot of research and talked with the insurance company and a friend who works for copart.
They all said they have seen an unusually high number of jks catching fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo21

As soon as I saw the Gofundme reference I was out. Looked almost staged to me. Seems like everyone tries to get paid for their misfortunes anymore. I don’t know. Just tired of all the feel sorry for me and send $ campaigns these days.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I never asked anyone for any money. I did ask my Jeep club to help me strip all the aftermarket parts off before the Insurance company took it. I had 8 of my friends show up and it took 6 hrs to bring t back to stock

trailraider

I don’t know. When my Jeep caught fire I did a lot of research and talked with the insurance company and a friend who works for copart.

IDK, I've worked for Jeep for close to 20 years and deal with a lot of insurance companies and body shops. I have yet to see one claim or order go through that was related to a fire. It's probably the same picture seen over and over again.
not saying it doesn't happen. but its rare.

Turbo21

IDK, I've worked for Jeep for close to 20 years and deal with a lot of insurance companies and body shops. I have yet to see one claim or order go through that was related to a fire. It's probably the same picture seen over and over again.
not saying it doesn't happen. but its rare.

We have around 150 people in our local club. When mine burnt we had another memeber lose theirs in a fire the next week. Same result insurance company couldn’t find why it caught fire. I did some research and found 30-40 jks that burnt up for no reason

With a few million on the road it doesn’t seem like many but who really knows

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Define unusually high. You can also make the argument that Jeep Wranglers are amount the highest “aftermarket modified” cars in the US which probably leads to a significant amount of the issues.

Additionally, off-roading does add wear and tear to a vehicle and again, Jeep Wranglers are probably among the highest percentage (even though that still is a small number overall) whose owners actually do go off-road.

I am not one to deny that issues do happen to jeeps, but again of the two I’ve seen in person, 1 was the same day after wheeling and the other near miss was from an aftermarket modification wire.

Not to say that some of the issues are not BS design flaws, but Jeep Wranglers are not the only car or machine to ever have a design flaw.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Yeah I’ve seen a couple on the beach burn down from the atf puking. Totally driver error as they were just pushing it too hard too long in soft soft sand with plenty of throttle.

But wasn’t there also an issue with the early JKs trapping dry leaves and grass around the cats and catching fire due to a skid bar or plate?

I’ve seen heaps of vehicles burn here from being driven and then parked on reasonably long dry grass

Turbo21

Jeep originally was blaming these fires on a corroded connector for the heated mirrors and the had a recall. I am not buying that explanation Especially since the connector for the heated mirrors is a fairly small gauge wire. A direct short in the wire maybe. But not corrosion. With the Jeeps that burned from electrical. The fire always starts when the battery gets cooking. Our battery actually got so hot that it melted through the stock fender liner and was laying in the ground. We had a witness say they saw the battery on fire laying in the ground u set the Jeep right before it turned into the raging inferno

Turbo21

Oh man sorry about the Jeep man that sucks.

I actually made out on the deal

I only owe 16k on the note and was totaled out at 27,000. So I took 5,500 and went and bought my 2015 rubicon. Used the other 5,500 to buy a lift and start building the new one
I know I know you all hate the grill

robx251

Caught the Bug
I had my 1992 explorer catch fire while driving. Not sure why it happened other than it was a ford “exploder”. It had been in my family since new with my grandparents then my parents and then me.

2016 JK Rubicon
315 70 17 BFG AT ko2
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yeah I’ve seen a couple on the beach burn down from the atf puking. Totally driver error as they were just pushing it too hard too long in soft soft sand with plenty of throttle.

But wasn’t there also an issue with the early JKs trapping dry leaves and grass around the cats and catching fire due to a skid bar or plate?

I’ve seen heaps of vehicles burn here from being driven and then parked on reasonably long dry grass

Yeah I forgot a about that. They changed the skid plate to a skid bar. There was a recall for the older ones to have the change done, but I ignored it. Haven’t burned up yet. 🤞🏻

Top Bottom