Jk rear control arms

desertrunner

So I’ve upsized to 37’s. My current set up is a 2.5 lift with stock arms in the rear. It works fine for the 35’s that are on it now but the rear wheels are no where near center of the wheel well. I know adjustable arms are the correct way to fix it but is there any reason I can’t cut/weld a section in to temporarily get me by until I can get adjustables? And if so does anyone happen to know approximately how long the rear arms need to be? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Just curious how far forward are you?
I am on 37s about 2.5" lift and stock rear lowers and my set up works just fine. The rear tire should not be centered in the wheel well at ride height, it should be center in the wheel well at full stuff and since the axle travels in an ark it is going to be forward of center at ride height. If you haven't trimmed your pinch seam already you are going to have to with 37s no matter what. If you center you axle at ride height then when you stuff the rear tires it will push back into the rear pinch seam. Either way you will have to trim, but the correct way to do it is have your axle centered at full stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Leeboy03

forgot to mention Core 4x4. great arms at a great price as well. spend the 200 plus dollars to do it right. no need to endanger yourself or others by hacking up a control arm.

https://www.core4x4.com/product/rear-lower-control-arms-jk/

Thanks for that! Those look like a good deal, it would be hard to beat that cost even building them myself and then having them powder coated. And for what it’s worth, I wasn’t planning on hacking up my control arm, just cutting the factory joints off and welding a longer/stronger section of tubing back. It wouldn’t be any different than any other control arm that I have seen.

Leeboy03

Just curious how far forward are you?
I am on 37s about 2.5" lift and stock rear lowers and my set up works just fine. The rear tire should not be centered in the wheel well at ride height, it should be center in the wheel well at full stuff and since the axle travels in an ark it is going to be forward of center at ride height. If you haven't trimmed your pinch seam already you are going to have to with 37s no matter what. If you center you axle at ride height then when you stuff the rear tires it will push back into the rear pinch seam. Either way you will have to trim, but the correct way to do it is have your axle centered at full stuff.

Agreed. I haven’t measured how far forward it is but it’s forward enough that I had to do a good bit of trimming when I put my 35’s on. My lift was advertised as a 2.5 but I’d guess it’s closer to 3”.

desertrunner

Agreed. I haven’t measured how far forward it is but it’s forward enough that I had to do a good bit of trimming when I put my 35’s on. My lift was advertised as a 2.5 but I’d guess it’s closer to 3”.

These are my pictures for reference of what I cut to fit my 37s, I trimmed the Rubi rails too. Stock rear lower control arms

20180701_183434.jpg 20180701_183453.jpg 20190619_135254.jpg

Leeboy03

These are my pictures for reference of what I cut to fit my 37s, I trimmed the Rubi rails too. Stock rear lower control arms

View attachment 330966 View attachment 330967 View attachment 330968

Thanks for the pics. Your 37’s look like they have about the same amount of room as my worn out 35’s. I’ll do some more investigating this weekend. Hell, maybe I’m crazy and there is more room than I think. But when I rolled a mounted 37 up next to my rear wheel just to eyeball it, it sure looked like there is no way in hell to fit it on there without moving my axel back at least an inch.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I guess you must have read a different post. Because nowhere did I ask how to do it or if it would be structurally sound. Are you always this useless?

Guess I misinterpreted what you meant by is there a reason you can’t? It’s a fucking piece of tubing dude. Make it longer if you don’t want to buy new arms. And yes I’m usually pretty useless.

Leeboy03

Guess I misinterpreted what you meant by is there a reason you can’t? It’s a fucking piece of tubing dude. Make it longer if you don’t want to buy new arms. And yes I’m usually pretty useless.

Not that I don’t want to buy new arms, just don’t have the place to do a long arm install at the moment. I’m in the process of building a house and stuck renting for now. The parking lot would be less than ideal for that. Buying short arms to roll around on for 6 months seems like a waste. Anyways, my bad.....

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You would rather pull an arm, cut it, try to keep it straight, weld it, reinstall it, and hope (think Obama) it works rather than buy new arms for $250 that you could sell in six months for $200? Makes perfect sense. Cut your tires in half and install on new tires for longer life too. #lifehack

Leeboy03

You would rather pull an arm, cut it, try to keep it straight, weld it, reinstall it, and hope (think Obama) it works rather than buy new arms for $250 that you could sell in six months for $200? Makes perfect sense. Cut your tires in half and install on new tires for longer life too. #lifehack

Well I’d have to pull it either way. Cutting it and welding would take less than an hour. That would be coping both ends to fit the factory joints. The tubing is free so for a couple hours worth of work I get to keep my $250. Your right, Saving $125 an hour does make perfect sense. #noneedtobeadick

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the pics. Your 37’s look like they have about the same amount of room as my worn out 35’s. I’ll do some more investigating this weekend. Hell, maybe I’m crazy and there is more room than I think. But when I rolled a mounted 37 up next to my rear wheel just to eyeball it, it sure looked like there is no way in hell to fit it on there without moving my axel back at least an inch.

The axle travels rearward as it cycles up. Plenty of people run 37s without having to go down the road you're thinking about.

desertrunner

When I first rolled up my 37s before cutting anything I couldn't even fit it in there without cutting

20180622_145156.jpg

Top Bottom