JK Steering Wheel

Moochie

So it was the dealership that denied you, not Chrysler.That figures. I think they say no to damn near everything hoping you will just go away, unless they can make money from it. I hope Chrysler make good on this for you.

The dealership is Chrysler at this point. He is trying to use his factory warranty.

JKRandall

it's not normal, try a different dealer or else go back and ask them to A. show you other Jeeps where this is normal, B. A tech service bulletin that indicates this is normal and if they still won't cover it under warranty, contact Chrysler direct.

If that doesn't get it done, contact your local media about it, dealerships hate bad media - I think all markets have a local media person that deals with issues, they love this stuff especially since Chevrolet is under such fire, I think they will be looking for anything to go after that may be a safety issue...

Great ideals!

Voodoo Actual

I really hope your not still working with the same dealership that bent you over the table on the first issue.

The other dealerships won't touch the vehicle. They say they aren't the ones that dropped the ball therefore it's. It their problem.

So it was the dealership that denied you, not Chrysler.That figures. I think they say no to damn near everything hoping you will just go away, unless they can make money from it. I hope Chrysler make good on this for you.

The dealership told me Chrysler denied the warranty. I called Chrysler and they, in short, said they look into it and tell me why they denied the warranty replacement.

I'm waiting on that call, apparently.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Well that sucks and personally, I don't think there's anything normal about it. My 2007 doesn't look like that nor does my 2012

This. My 2012 with 23K looked perfect when I traded it in and my 2014 with 1300 miles looks perfect as well. Ain't nothing normal about it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The other dealerships won't touch the vehicle. They say they aren't the ones that dropped the ball therefore it's. It their problem.

The dealership told me Chrysler denied the warranty. I called Chrysler and they, in short, said they look into it and tell me why they denied the warranty replacement.

I'm waiting on that call, apparently.

What do you mean they won't touch the vehicle? If its a Chrysler warranty, they must provide warranty service. Now whether or not you want to force someone to work on your ride is a different story. Consider getting a warranty through your insurance company. I pay around $11 a month with a $50 deductible through Geico, this way, I have something to fall back on if Chrysler gets difficult.

Hack12

What do you mean they won't touch the vehicle? If its a Chrysler warranty, they must provide warranty service. Now whether or not you want to force someone to work on your ride is a different story. Consider getting a warranty through your insurance company. I pay around $11 a month with a $50 deductible through Geico, this way, I have something to fall back on if Chrysler gets difficult.

That's good to know. I had no clue insurance companies offered anything like that. :thumb:

Devallee

I've had the peeling issue on my 09 but I blamed it on the heat when the top was off. During the summer without the top, my steering wheel does seem to get a little soft and almost "gummy" but it never happens during the colder months of the year so I just figured the weather was doing it and never bothered with it

Voodoo Actual

This. My 2012 with 23K looked perfect when I traded it in and my 2014 with 1300 miles looks perfect as well. Ain't nothing normal about it.

Nope. Not normal at all.

This is not a bad idea....

I spoke with Chrysler today. The pictures the dealer submitted were not the pictures I took at the dealership. They were their own and according to Chrysler they were grainy and showed no defect. Which is why my warranty repair was denied. Apparently.

Last edited:

Voodoo Actual

Sounds like I'll be getting a replacement steering wheel.

I parked in front of the service advisor area and asked to speak with my service advisors superior.

I walked him out to my rig, opened the door, asked him to grab my wheel, look me in the eye, and tell me that's normal. Then find me another Wrangler on the lot with the same issue.

He said, "We'll get you a new wheel."

A new wheel has now been ordered. Apparently.

txjeeplover

I think I remember reading somewhere recently that new interior JK steering wheels (11-14) wouldn't fit an older interior (07-10) JK.

I'd be interested in hearing from someone who knows for sure though.

I installed a 2011 steering wheel in my 2008 JK. Bolts up to the steering shaft and the airbag connections are the same. I could not get the radio controls or cruise to work, so I had to re-use the cruise module from my 2008 wheel. I also had to splice the horn's wiring to mate to the 2008 steering wiring harness. Got the parts (wheel and airbag) on ebay for around $200 - $300 I think. The 2011 and later wheel is slightly smaller in diameter, while the wheel padding and leather is thicker. It offers a sporty feel in comparison to the old one.

jeeeep

Hooked

I parked in front of the service advisor area and asked to speak with my service advisors superior.

I walked him out to my rig, opened the door, asked him to grab my wheel, look me in the eye, and tell me that's normal. Then find me another Wrangler on the lot with the same issue.

lol well done...it's amazing how much BS they'll put you through just to get out of warranty work...they often spend more in man hours versus just doing the right thing

txjeeplover

Congrats on getting this done! I'm sure that you feel vindicated now that they're doing what they should have done originally. About 4 or 5 years ago I ran into a warranty issue with my Jeep's soft top, along with wind and water leaks. The servicing dealer kept dragging their feet, rejecting warranty claims, and just making things difficult for me. To my surprise, Chrysler eventually told them to do whatever it takes to fix the issue, and the dealer completely changed their attitude. I was given a rental and they replaced the soft top and all the seals and weatherstripping.

Voodoo Actual

Congrats on getting this done! I'm sure that you feel vindicated now that they're doing what they should have done originally. About 4 or 5 years ago I ran into a warranty issue with my Jeep's soft top, along with wind and water leaks. The servicing dealer kept dragging their feet, rejecting warranty claims, and just making things difficult for me. To my surprise, Chrysler eventually told them to do whatever it takes to fix the issue, and the dealer completely changed their attitude. I was given a rental and they replaced the soft top and all the seals and weatherstripping.

It's absurd that anyone would have to put up with this stuff. We have a warranty. What so hard that?

Both the dealership and Chrysler are back peddling now...

I also saw the pictures they submitted to Chrysler. They, somehow, completely missed the effected area of the wheel.

I'm not sure why they insist on wasting so many man hours are arguing.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's absurd that anyone would have to put up with this stuff. We have a warranty. What so hard that?

Both the dealership and Chrysler are back peddling now...

I also saw the pictures they submitted to Chrysler. They, somehow, completely missed the effected area of the wheel.

I'm not sure why they insist on wasting so many man hours are arguing.

The worst part is, it's not even their money, so I have no clue why they are such hardasses. Here is a quote from Elon Musk (owner of Tesla)

"I have made it a principle within Tesla that we should never attempt to make servicing a profit center. It does not seem right to me that companies try to make a profit off customers when their product breaks."

Voodoo Actual

The worst part is, it's not even their money, so I have no clue why they are such hardasses. Here is a quote from Elon Musk (owner of Tesla)

"I have made it a principle within Tesla that we should never attempt to make servicing a profit center. It does not seem right to me that companies try to make a profit off customers when their product breaks."

I know, it's stupid. They even showed me how much money they'd make. Then denied my warranty repair. Good business practices.

Great quote. Too bad these dealerships don't share that line of thought.

DMF

Right On!

I know this is not the same but I use to work in GM Parts and we wold warranty EVERYTHING. To an extent of course. We (parts dept) make a small profit on the parts used and the tech gets paid for the amount of time it took him to repair. Even service writer makes a little money just to push paper. No selling needed. Hmm maybe that's why GM had a bailout. But there are many loyal GM customers thats for sure. Dang sorry didn't mean to make this a GM post.

Top Bottom