JKU 2015 Transmission issue. Help!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
So I took the Jeep to the dealership and they scanned for a code and they did not find one. They did the transmission update and they said the issue has been fixed. I have had the jeep back for two days and I am not having any of the previous issues, but actually a new one...kind of.

Since the transmission flash update when in first gear i get to around 1500-2000rpm and then the jeep kicks forward and changes to the 2nd gear. In 2nd gear it gets to about 2000-2500rpm and then kicks into 3rd. After 3rd the kicking stops when shifting gears. The vehicle does feel a little sluggish from what it was, but it could just me be re acclimating myself.

I called the dealer and they said after flashing for the tranny update the vehicle has to re learn your driving habits and over the next 2 weeks it will adjust itself and the kicking should stop. If it does not stop, I can call up and have it looked at again. Is this an actual thing or are they pulling my chain? I've never heard of a transmission needing to adjust to driving habits, but then again the new wranglers have so much controlled by electronics I could be wrong.

Any advice?

Almost all modern automatics constantly adjust their programming to provide the smoothest operation possible. This is to account for component wear and driving style. I.e. Throttle position vs load. You quite often find that if a car has be thrashed its whole life then sold to someone who baby's it, it will shift really harsh for awhile until it adjusts.

ECMs do it as well in Australia the ford falcon 4.0 6cyl is notorious for running perfectly until you get a flat battery and it loses its memory, forgets how worn out it is and will barely idle. But after a few weeks of driving is back to normal

zerorex

try this -Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-89.htm

I used it when I changed tires and my transmission was doing a similar thing yours, if you have a tune, install the stock tune 1st then do the procedure.

it cured the "hard" shift issues I was having and took the performance tune without any problems

If the dealer doesn't resolve it i'll 100% do this. Thanks for the tip!

Almost all modern automatics constantly adjust their programming to provide the smoothest operation possible. This is to account for component wear and driving style. I.e. Throttle position vs load. You quite often find that if a car has be thrashed its whole life then sold to someone who baby's it, it will shift really harsh for awhile until it adjusts.

ECMs do it as well in Australia the ford falcon 4.0 6cyl is notorious for running perfectly until you get a flat battery and it loses its memory, forgets how worn out it is and will barely idle. But after a few weeks of driving is back to normal

In a strange way this actually makes me feel better! Thanks for the information. Why would the check engine come on if its just adjusting?

Last edited:

Heholua

Hello all! So I have been keeping a log of the issue and here's an excerpt from the log of what's currently happening:

1/28/16 - Thursday 3:04pm
Vehicle is working fine, but ever since the transmission update was done (Flashed from 05150891AD to 68271728AA), the vehicle makes a jerking motion when changing gears. At about 1500-2000rpm changing from first to second gear the jeep will now jerk forward and again between 2000-2500rpm when changing gears from 2nd to 3rd gear. I called the dealer and was told that there was a break-in period and I should give the vehicle about 1-2 weeks to relearn my driving habits so that the gear changing adjusts to me. If the gear change jerking issue is unresolved, schedule an appointment and they will address the issue.

Information on TCM Flash Update - 68271728AA
2015 Jeep Wrangler Power Train Service Bulletin 383883
Action Number: 10057945
Service Bulletin Number: 383883
Report Date: Apr 21, 2015
Component: Power Train
Summary: Chrysler 2014-2015 jeep wrangler: information regarding transmission control module available software. Customers are experiencing delayed shift response when driving up hills, vibration on acceleration from a cruising speed

1/29/16 - Friday 7:30am
Driving to work, 1st and 2nd gear transmissions had none of the jolting sensations. When going from 2nd to 3rd gear at a speed of 40-45mph (2000-3000rpm) the car was predominantly jolting/jerking forward. This was consistently happening while traveling down Hylan Blvd. At 7:23am when arriving at my destination the MIL (Check Engine Light) came on again. I will be contacting the dealer to bring it back a 2nd time for the transmission issue.

They are going to take the vehicle in on Monday. Hopefully they'll resolve it. I am currently leasing the vehicle and it sucks because I really wanted to buy it. I have about $12k in upgrades i planned on doing and have the funds waiting. It's honestly making me want to not spend a penny on this jeep and thats a sucky feeling.

Do you by chance have larger tires than stock? If so have you reprogrammed the computer to the correct tire size?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
If the dealer doesn't resolve it i'll 100% do this. Thanks for the tip!

In a strange way this actually makes me feel better! Thanks for the information. Why would the check engine come on if its just adjusting?

The check engine light doesn't come on the engine just runs very rough until the fuel/air maps update again. It's pretty funny to see as quite often the car will be some beat up junk with 600k on the original motor that's never been apart running like a dream until the battery goes flat. Then absolute pig for a couple weeks until it readjusts.

blrr0311

how many miles you got on your jeep so far? i have the same year 2015 rubicon jku i have 20,450 on it so far. so far so good on my end.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
The thing about the trans learning is that it's should be very subtle. Ask yourself this: how'd it drive when you first bought it? It likely drove fine even though it knew nothing about u;). That's the flaw in dealer logic.

zerorex

Do you by chance have larger tires than stock? If so have you reprogrammed the computer to the correct tire size?

Nope tires are still stock.

how many miles you got on your jeep so far? i have the same year 2015 rubicon jku i have 20,450 on it so far. so far so good on my end.

6800 miles so yea...it's low

The thing about the trans learning is that it's should be very subtle. Ask yourself this: how'd it drive when you first bought it? It likely drove fine even though it knew nothing about u;). That's the flaw in dealer logic.

That's what drives me crazy in the back of my mind. It didn't drive like this before and i cant stop thinking that to myself.

Well there is semi good news. Here's the latest update:

1/29/16 - Friday 7:30pm
The MIL (Check engine light) went off. The vehicle is still jolting/pushing forward randomly between gears. It is not during a specific gear change anymore. It is not happening as frequently anymore as well. The vehicle is still acting strange randomly after stopping the vehicle. The vehicle will stay completely still and not roll forward like normal operation. Once pressing on the gas the vehicle will rev as it its struggling and then start moving. It happens very randomly (maybe the solenoid, filter or the transmission fluid?) and will go away after restarting the vehicle.

jeeeep

Hooked
try resetting it per the instruction in my previous post, it should resolve the issue immediately no learning period... these systems are fast to learn, you shouldn't still be having issues.

if the reset doesn't solve it take it back to the dealer and tell them it's still not working, with such low miles and stock tires you shouldn't be having this issue.

Last edited:

zerorex

try resetting it per the instruction in my previous post, it should resolve the issue immediately no learning period... these systems are fast to learn, you shouldn't still be having issues.

if the reset doesn't solve it take it back to the dealer and tell them it's still not working, with such low miles and stock tires you shouldn't be having this issue.

So I did the ECU reset and took it for a drive. I did street driving as well as highway driving for about an hour. The stopping issue was non existent, but the changing gears issue seems to still be lingering. I honestly don't know if its because i'm hypersensitive right now and paying attention to every little thing or if it really is not normal.

Basically when changing gears between 3rd to 4th and/or 4th to 5th gear, randomly you'll feel a small push. The jeep hesitate for a second and then pushes forward. This could be normal operation but I never paid attention. The dramatic feeling of a hard kick isn't there, its more of a pushing feeling now.

In order to recreate the issue the vehicle must be driven at higher speeds and for an extended period of about 30-45min. It will not happen when initially driving after starting the vehicle. Highway driving is a must to recreate it.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
So I did the ECU reset and took it for a drive. I did street driving as well as highway driving for about an hour. The stopping issue was non existent, but the changing gears issue seems to still be lingering. I honestly don't know if its because i'm hypersensitive right now and paying attention to every little thing or if it really is not normal.

Basically when changing gears between 3rd to 4th and/or 4th to 5th gear, randomly you'll feel a small push. The jeep hesitate for a second and then pushes forward. This could be normal operation but I never paid attention. The dramatic feeling of a hard kick isn't there, its more of a pushing feeling now.

In order to recreate the issue the vehicle must be driven at higher speeds and for an extended period of about 30-45min. It will not happen when initially driving after starting the vehicle. Highway driving is a must to recreate it.

try using the tap shift to go thru the gears, see if it still has that "push" sensation when you use only the tap shift

zerorex

try using the tap shift to go thru the gears, see if it still has that "push" sensation when you use only the tap shift

Took the vehicle to the highway to try using the tap shift to go through the gears and see if it still has that "push" sensation (only using tap shift). The push sensation when shifting up could not be recreated, but a different issue was discovered. After getting off the highway (still using the tap shift for changing gears) the computer showed that I was in the 3rd gear even though i was at a complete stop. Once I started driving, it would not show if I was upshifting or downshifting. It just constantly displayed the [3]. After pulling over and switching the car into park and then back into drive, the tap shift no longer worked the rest of the way home. Only after getting home and turning the vehicle off and then back on, the tap shift began to show the gear shift numbers and worked again.

jeeeep

Hooked
Took the vehicle to the highway to try using the tap shift to go through the gears and see if it still has that "push" sensation (only using tap shift). The push sensation when shifting up could not be recreated, but a different issue was discovered. After getting off the highway (still using the tap shift for changing gears) the computer showed that I was in the 3rd gear even though i was at a complete stop. Once I started driving, it would not show if I was upshifting or downshifting. It just constantly displayed the [3]. After pulling over and switching the car int<script id="gpt-impl-0.7691701213066665" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_79.js"></script>o park and then back into drive, the tap shift no longer worked the rest of the way home. Only after getting home and turning the vehicle off and then back on, the tap shift began to show the gear shift numbers and worked again.

well, sorry to say it's back to the dealer. they haven't fixed the issue yet.

but at least you have something to show them so they can look at other transmission components.

it may be possible the flash didn't take hold the 1st time or there is a sensor out in the transmission.

m998dna

Took the vehicle to the highway to try using the tap shift to go through the gears and see if it still has that "push" sensation (only using tap shift). The push sensation when shifting up could not be recreated, but a different issue was discovered. After getting off the highway (still using the tap shift for changing gears) the computer showed that I was in the 3rd gear even though i was at a complete stop. Once I started driving, it would not show if I was upshifting or downshifting. It just constantly displayed the [3]. After pulling over and switching the car into park and then back into drive, the tap shift no longer worked the rest of the way home. Only after getting home and turning the vehicle off and then back on, the tap shift began to show the gear shift numbers and worked again.

This is why I wouldn't allow the dealer to install the update... but reading this, it appears you have more issues than the factory update addresses. It appears you have a bad TCM... The auto-stick isn't working right.. it should automatically downshift to 1st when coming to a stop.. not stay in 3rd.

This transmission is used in many applications and is very robust.. but sensitive to certain things... Like H2O contamination, overfilling, underfilling and heat.

Tell your dealer you want the TCM changed... the "push" sensation you refer to may be resolved by a new TCM.. but you need to remember this transmission has adaptives, that's why they're telling you to drive it for two weeks. If you pull the battery cable for xx time it clears the adaptives and needs to relearn you driving style again.

But under no circumstances does it make the transmission shift "right" .. it should do that from the start. It may make your shifts feel more firm.. but thats it..

zerorex

This is why I wouldn't allow the dealer to install the update... but reading this, it appears you have more issues than the factory update addresses. It appears you have a bad TCM... The auto-stick isn't working right.. it should automatically downshift to 1st when coming to a stop.. not stay in 3rd.

This transmission is used in many applications and is very robust.. but sensitive to certain things... Like H2O contamination, overfilling, underfilling and heat.

Tell your dealer you want the TCM changed... the "push" sensation you refer to may be resolved by a new TCM.. but you need to remember this transmission has adaptives, that's why they're telling you to drive it for two weeks. If you pull the battery cable for xx time it clears the adaptives and needs to relearn you driving style again.

But under no circumstances does it make the transmission shift "right" .. it should do that from the start. It may make your shifts feel more firm.. but thats it..

Ill tell them today. The MIL(Check engine light) came back on today at 7:21am so there is definitely an issue persisting and I've been suspecting the TCM as well.

Top Bottom