JKU Doors Stuck On Jeep

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
After four years I decided it was time for a topless, doorless trail run. I feel everyone's pain. I finally sat on the door ledge, legs under the door and pushed up with my calves trying to get even force along the bottom of the doors. Totally stupid move on my part. The first pin moved a little and then shot out of the hinge. Good thing I had a very large neighbor steadying the door as it came out. It caught both of us off guard though and the door headed for the concrete. We stopped it just before there was paint to concrete contact. Those front doors are freakin' heavy! The bushings are lubed now and everything is happy again. The TMR bushings and a 9mm long socket are waiting for the next time.:yup:

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Had the same issue, ended up wrapping a ratchet strap around the bottom and looped it through the window and over my shoulder to add leverage, although I am 6'1" and it was stock height. Left bruises on my shoulder but finally got them off. Ended up getting a set of the quadratec liners, made sure I put grease on them and have not had a problem since.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
On my last jeep with rusty liners, i put a 2x4 on the door sill and under the bottom of the door (with a pad) and used it as a lever to lift. It worked. Just be careful, or have help in case they POP up instead of slide.

When the doors are off clean up the pins with some sand paper and maybe use a rifle or pistol bore brush in the other side. Then a little lube.

The liners are multiple layers and can swell up a little with the rust The pins just corrode and swell because they are essentially bare metal. Crappy design.

T.McD

since living in the rust belt of canada, we have always delt with the rust and seized door hinges. like most said, get some leverage pushing up. on the old jeeps the door hinge pin protruded through the hinge and was held on by a nut. now they have the bushing so it is not visible.

we unscrewed the locking nut(bushing) but left it installed a couple of thread. with a 2x4 and floor jack give it some pressure and start wiggling the door back and forth until it starts to come out. it may take some time, also if it's really corroded the bushing may come out at the same time. as the pin becomes exposed give some spray lub and keep going.....
good luck.

max380

Mines were stuck hard and I used this trick

The penetrating oil really did the difference. I used WD-40 first and it wasn't moving.

Once I used the penetrating oil it came out after a long shaking...

Hope you won't have to cut it / break it.

I put anti-seize on the pins for the future removal!

Byte

Alright guys, I've searched and searched and can't seem to find a method that works. So my buddy purchased a JKU this week. We removed the hinge bolts and began to attempt to remove the doors. They wouldn't come off. Soaked the hinges in PB Blaster overnight, tried to hammer the hinges free, and used a jack and a 2x4 and that just lifted the Jeep itself. We managed to get one door off, but the other three still will not come off. The hinges seem aligned, so any advice would be awesome. If all fails, he'll just be taking it back to Jeep to have them replace the hinges.

Took the doors off my 2015 JKURHR for the first time this spring and ran into the same issue. Had both fronts and the rear passenger door off with no issues and went to remove the driver's side rear and no joy. Tried several angles & tapped upward on the door pins. Zero zip nada. Had to loosen the bolts on the body side of the lower hinge and presto off she came. So I just realigned the hinge properly and tightened the hinges back to the body. Didn't bother to torque the bolts, just used a standard 1/2" ratchet and made them tight enough for now. As soon as I get some matching body paint I'll insure it's properly aligned and torqued before I touch up the paint. It looks like the hinges aren't being properly aligned at the factory before they go to paint. QC ain't what it used to be I guess. :grayno:

Was your buddy's Jeep new or a few years old? See some of the older jeeps with rust issues but on a newer Jeep it might just be a misaligned hinge like I had. Putting a wrench on them and loosening them will mess up the pretty factory paint job though so be aware of that.

Last edited:

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
i had the same issue with my rear driver side door when i first got my jeep. what i did was put the hinge bolt back on the bottom hinged just by a few threads which would allow for movement once the door starts lifting and got my high-lift jack out. i started jacking up the door from the bottom hing bolt. while the door is lifted a little i would get some WD40 and spray into the bushing and let it sit for awhile. then i would let the door slide back down into resting position. take the bolt off the hinge and see if you can lift it out. if you can it will still take a good amount of force so don't expect it to just lift out. best of luck.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Also jack or lift from close to the hinge, not farther away from the hinge. It is more effective leverage and induces less bind.

CarolinaJK

Took the doors off my 2015 JKURHR for the first time this spring and ran into the same issue. Had both fronts and the rear passenger door off with no issues and went to remove the driver's side rear and no joy. Tried several angles & tapped upward on the door pins. Zero zip nada. Had to loosen the bolts on the body side of the lower hinge and presto off she came. So I just realigned the hinge properly and tightened the hinges back to the body. Didn't bother to torque the bolts, just used a standard 1/2" ratchet and made them tight enough for now. As soon as I get some matching body paint I'll insure it's properly aligned and torqued before I touch up the paint. It looks like the hinges aren't being properly aligned at the factory before they go to paint. QC ain't what it used to be I guess. :grayno:

Was your buddy's Jeep new or a few years old? See some of the older jeeps with rust issues but on a newer Jeep it might just be a misaligned hinge like I had. Putting a wrench on them and loosening them will mess up the pretty factory paint job though so be aware of that.

It's a 2013 and has very minimal rust, but it's very possible that rust got underneath the hinge.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Byte

It's a 2013 and has very minimal rust, but it's very possible that rust got underneath the hinge.

It's crazy to think that the first owner(s) never had the doors off! I'd try the WD40 and a bit of leverage first. But if that doesn't get it easily then I'd say it's time to go ahead and loosen the hinge up and see if the pins just slide right up and out.

srbell0585

I removed the torx screw cap and used penetrating lube top and bottom, then screwed the torx on about 2 turns. I then used a rubber/plastic dead blow to hit the torx, since the torx is tightened in all the way it breaks the rust free and pushes the door up. I was then able to remove the torx and the doors.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkjeeper57

When I took the door off of my 2014 the first time this year ( I have small children that like to throw things out) ran into the same problem the torx bit came off after a decent amount of force but when went to lift off the door it wouldn't budge. After attempting to lift off and even using my thighs as leverage I soaked the pins in wd-40 and use a floor jack with a 4x4 wood block to left them off. Be ready once pins about half out the door has the potential to pop out. But the next few times I took them off they slide off with ease.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

walrond

I removed the torx screw cap and used penetrating lube top and bottom, then screwed the torx on about 2 turns. I then used a rubber/plastic dead blow to hit the torx, since the torx is tightened in all the way it breaks the rust free and pushes the door up. I was then able to remove the torx and the doors.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

This method worked for me as well.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom